Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DPF on Tuning

Ramrod3500

Reaction score
Hello All,
So I’m new to the tuning scene and need help. I purchased a ppei tuning with ez link. But they only do emissions on tunes. So can you recommend a good tuning company. I have a 2011 ram 3500.

GBB

Reaction score
Was wondering if torque management is still active with a tune

Xflight29

Reaction score
My 2020/3500 pulls my trailer easily up any grade thats been thrown at me with no need for more power. 17K . Why do some feel they need more ump ?

John Jensen

Reaction score
I hear ya but how do you handle the soot (particulate junk)? Diesel engine producers have been investing millions in clean diesel tech for regulatory stuff and to appease the increasing number of influential advocates that would like nothing more than to relegate diesel engines to history's scrap heap. Roll'n coal is kinda kewl but we can't win the war against the progressive azz hats by deleting emissions equip in our lust for more HP and torque. Just sayin...
You need to get up to date. The tunes we are talking about for 2019-20 6.7s are not "rolling coal" or "deleting emissions equip". They're optimized and probably cleaner than stock

John Jensen

Reaction score
I am looking to tune my 2020 but it looks like there is not a lot of info out there about the people that do it. On the list so far is Firepunk and Calibrated Power. I have read a lot about CP but not much about FP but looks like they have been doing this for a long time also. Just trying to see what you all have been using.

TIA.
I'm using Calibrated Power's tunes on my 2020 HO. Have been very satisfied with their performance and their customer service. They perform as advertised. I use their Heavy Tow when towing and their optimized stock tune when not towing. Waiting for their shift on the fly switch.

Ram 6.7 with Aisin:
1. Heavy Tow (over 8000 lbs) = +40HP
2. Light Tow (under 8000 lbs = +60HP
3. Street = +110HP
4. Race = +160HP
5. Stock tune optimized
6. Stock tune
-----------------------------------
Ram 6.7 with 68RFE:
1. Heavy Tow (over 8000 lbs) = +20HP
2. Light Tow (under 8000 lbs = +40HP
3. Street = +80HP
4. Race = +100HP
5. Stock tune optimized
6. Stock tune

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Any of you guys put one of these HO trucks on the dyno? How much are they making stock before the tune?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Any of you guys put one of these HO trucks on the dyno? How much are they making stock before the tune?
Not me, don't see a need.
With their torque management system, I'm not sure that any dyno info would be useful.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Why do you say that?

A dyno run should make it output the specified torque.
Good question Bruno.

I said, "I'm not sure" because I have little knowledge about dynos.
Articles on torque management have said we will never get the rated HP or torque out of these engines because of torque management. Thus, would the dyno be accurate for whatever reason/s the engine is being dyno'd? I don't know. Gimmie didn't say why he wanted to know if anyone has put one on the dyno.

You say it "should", sounds like you may have doubts as well.

Next time I'll just answer with, "Not me, don't see a need."

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Good question Bruno.

I said, "I'm not sure" because I have little knowledge about dynos.
The reason I said it is articles on torque management have said we will never get the rated HP or torque out of these engines because of torque management. Thus, would the dyno be accurate for whatever reason/s the engine is being dyno'd? I don't know. Gimmie didn't say why he wanted to know if anyone has put one on the dyno.

You say it "should", sounds like you have your doubts as well.

Next time I'll just answer with, "Not me, don't see a need."

Different brands of dynos have been documented pretty heavily as having different variances in power output vs. crank hp rating. I.E, a Mustang dyno will typically read 8-10% lower than a dynojet on the same vehicle on the same day.

However, ive never seen the statement that a dyno wont read the "full power" of xyz car/truck/platform due to torque management.

Ive seen a few 2019+ HO dynos on youtube that have the truck making anywhere from 380-400whp and ~950-1000 wtq.

What a dyno is really good for, is showing the gains achieved by any given modification. Which is why i asked you about the before and after from the tune. That is interesting because if a tuning company advertises a tune as delivering 100hp but the dyno only shows a 40hp gain, id be pissed that i just spent $1200+ on what amounts to false advertising even though you may be able to "feel" the difference (which is completely subjective and changes from person to person).

John Jensen

Reaction score
Different brands of dynos have been documented pretty heavily as having different variances in power output vs. crank hp rating. I.E, a Mustang dyno will typically read 8-10% lower than a dynojet on the same vehicle on the same day.

However, ive never seen the statement that a dyno wont read the "full power" of xyz car/truck/platform due to torque management.

Ive seen a few 2019+ HO dynos on youtube that have the truck making anywhere from 380-400whp and ~950-1000 wtq.

What a dyno is really good for, is showing the gains achieved by any given modification. Which is why i asked you about the before and after from the tune. That is interesting because if a tuning company advertises a tune as delivering 100hp but the dyno only shows a 40hp gain, id be pissed that i just spent $1200+ on what amounts to false advertising even though you may be able to "feel" the difference (which is completely subjective and changes from person to person).
Thanks gimmie,

All good info. I learned something.
And, it's good to know that torque management does not affect dyno results.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Firepunk has Youtube videos of the newer trucks on dynos. Most are with the 68RFE running their tunes and mods though.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Firepunk has Youtube videos of the newer trucks on dynos. Most are with the 68RFE running their tunes and mods though.

Key word most.

He showed an HO/Aisin tune they were working on but haven't heard much about it. They seem to get some very mixed reviews... not particularly well on customer support it seems.

Seems calibrated power is still the best goto for emissions intact tunes.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Key word most.

He showed an HO/Aisin tune they were working on but haven't heard much about it. They seem to get some very mixed reviews... not particularly well on customer support it seems.

Seems calibrated power is still the best goto for emissions intact tunes.
My brother and I have Calibrated's tunes on our HOs. Been very satisfied with their tunes and their service.

Users who are viewing this thread