Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DPF gauge.

Deltron

Reaction score
I noticed the EVIC DPF gauge always reads zero (22 Cummins HO). When I picked up the truck it was reading maybe 20% and went to zero within 100 miles. It's never registered anything since. Any fix?

Also my Scangauge II has odd readings. The truck regened and when it was done it said 40% DPF load. The next morning when I started it it said 23% but very quickly went back up to 40%. Seems a bit weird like the truck isn't reporting correctly. Also the Scangauge says 74% when I fill the truck with DEF but the dash gauge says full. I don't think the Scangauge is faulty since it works perfectly in an '18 Cummins.

Towing heavy the truck's first regen was at 1,100 miles. My guess is if it only goes back to 40% it'll probably be every 600 like our '18 was. DEF usage was around 3.1%, considerably more than our '18.

The engine is considerably quieter than the '18 and doesn't feel like a farm tractor at lower RPMs. Maybe that's due to the Aisin instead of the RFE, I have no idea.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with it reading zero, that means that you are operating the truck in a manner that doesn't plug the DPF.

Anytime the DPF is above ~600°F it is getting passivly regenerated, which keeps it at 0%. Idle the truck, or do a lot of slow speed driving and you'll see it creep back up.

The SGII is likely the issue as there is a big difference in the way the '18 reported stuff vs the '22. I don't believe the truck actually reports DPF load, just enough data to calculate it. My CTS2 that I used on my '18 wouldn't do anything vehicle specific on my '22. The DEF tank uses a different style level sender than the '18 too, and is much more accurate. I'd trust the dash over the SGII. I used to run a SGII but gave it up for much better options.

Your engine will, at a minimum, regen every 24 hours of runtime just like the '18 did. The only two exceptions, aside from failures, are if the DPF gets too full before 24 hours or if the ECM software is updated the 24 hour clock will be reset. 1,110 miles means an average of 45 mph, vs 25 mph for a 600 mile average.

The 24 clock starts when the previous regen ends, so if the regen takes a long time to complete (like my last one took nearly 3 hours due to driving style) the next regen won't occur early.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
According to the FSM, the temp at the DPF needs to be about twice that in order to passive regen.
600°F is definitely no where near hot enough to burn down particulate matter, unless you meant to say Celsius.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
According to the FSM, the temp at the DPF needs to be about twice that in order to passive regen.
600°F is definitely no where near hot enough to burn down particulate matter, unless you meant to say Celsius.

No, 600°F is what I meant. The DPF doesn’t even get twice that hot during active regen.

When the DPF gauge is above 0% it doesn’t take long for it to start going down when the DPF is above 600°F.

Deltron

Reaction score
The 24 clock starts when the previous regen ends, so if the regen takes a long time to complete (like my last one took nearly 3 hours due to driving style) the next regen won't occur early.
The regen took about 20 miles @ 60 mph when I was towing. I was in a headwind and getting 6.9 mpg before it went into regen.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
No, 600°F is what I meant. The DPF doesn’t even get twice that hot during active regen.

When the DPF gauge is above 0% it doesn’t take long for it to start going down when the DPF is above 600°F.
Not sure which sensor temp reading your device is going off of:
F8B0E0FC-9D10-41A7-8934-B2820D4C51C6.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

At idle with the truck at OP temp the DPF is almost at 600°F and no soot will be burned at such low temps

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The regen took about 20 miles @ 60 mph when I was towing. I was in a headwind and getting 6.9 mpg before it went into regen.

That's a little longer than I would expect at that speed and load, but not much longer. 10-15 miles is what I usually see at that speed, unless I am at a really low load. It's based on time, so the faster you are going the more miles it lasts. I have seen them complete in as few as 4 miles when I'm uphill with a load at 10-15 mph.

I discovered this last hunting season that if the temp at EGT 1 is below ~500°F then the ECM won't inject fuel into the exhaust stroke for the oxidation catalyst to heat the exhaust. I was doing lots of driving where the EGT1 never met that threshold and thus regen took longer than I have ever noticed.

Not sure which sensor temp reading your device is going off of:
View attachment 46905

I can monitor all 5 EGT probes with my CTS3, but generally monitor EGT 1 (DOC Inlet...roughly similar to a post-turbo pyro) and EGT 3 (DPF Outlet, which lets me know when it's passively or actively in regen).

There are some interesting verbiage in that snippet, such as the oxidation catalyst raising temps for passive regen... this doesn't happen from what I have seen. I have really only noticed the DOC outlet temp being higher than the DOC inlet temp during active regeneration (it can be higher without active regen, but not from DOC operation just changing loads).

1022°F makes sense for active regen, but that is not quite twice as hot at 600°F which I have never seen for EGT 3. I have seen EGT around 1100°F but it doesn't stay there long as the PCM cuts fuel injected into the exhaust pretty quick when it's that hot and the temps drop, 1000°-1050°F is the average temp during active regen.

The bulk of that snippet is about active regen and I agree with that, but it is incorrect in that regen requires temps above 1022°F to oxidize the soot, but it is much more efficient at 1022°F.

Passive regen does occur at much lower temps, and is often enough to keep the DPF load down low or at 0%, but the active regen is still needed to completely clean it out. If passive regen didn't occur above ~600°F you wouldn't see a reduction in DPF backpressure/loading by operating at 600°F, but we do see a reduction. You also wouldn't see the DPF loading live at 0% as I have never seen a EGT3 temp above 1000°F without an active regen occurring, it's rare to ever see EGT 1 that hot and it cools by EGT3 without an active regen. This is true on my '22 and previous '18.

There are plenty of sources indicating passive regen occurs above 600°F and I have seen it numerous times.

At idle with the truck at OP temp the DPF is almost at 600°F and no soot will be burned at such low temps

:rolleyes: Where did you get that idea? I am always monitoring EGT3 and that simply does not happen. I have never seen DPF temps that hot just sitting at idle even at operating temps. It may retain some heat after driving, but it drops below 600°F pretty quick.

Very clear you have never monitored the EGT temps on these trucks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Where did you get that idea? I am always monitoring EGT3 and that simply does not happen. I have never seen DPF temps that hot just sitting at idle even at operating temps. It may retain some heat after driving, but it drops below 600°F pretty quick.

Very clear you have never monitored the EGT temps on these trucks.
Thats the temps after the DPF on my 19 before deleting going by the EGT readings and confirmed with a heat gun

And i said close to not right at. I would see 500-550 range consistently

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats the temps after the DPF on my 19 before deleting going by the EGT readings and confirmed with a heat gun

And i said close to not right at. I would see 500-550 range consistently

I don’t see temps that high on my ‘22, nor did I on my ‘18 or dads ‘17. It takes a load to get the exhaust that hot. Idle EGT1 temps aren’t that hot, so no way for EGT3 to be that hot without an active regen.

I’m taking true idle temps, not heat soaked from just having been driven jumping out and hitting the DPF with a heat gun.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don’t see temps that high on my ‘22, nor did I on my ‘18 or dads ‘17. It takes a load to get the exhaust that hot. Idle EGT1 temps aren’t that hot, so no way for EGT3 to be that hot without an active regen.

I’m taking true idle temps, not heat soaked from just having been driven jumping out and hitting the DPF with a heat gun.
You realize the temps are hotter after the dpf than before it right thats one easy way to tell if its hollowed out or not if the temp is not higher thats one of the quickest ways they get people for deletes

My temps were after warmup not after driving

baker01

Reaction score
After a regen, my DPF gauge will read back and forth from 0% to 12.5% and back to 0% until around 400-500 miles. It will then read back and forth from 12.5% to 25% and back to 12.5% until around 650-700 miles. At that point it stays at 25% until the 24 hour regen period. All of my regens have been at 24 hours (around 800 driving miles) or passive when towing.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You realize the temps are hotter after the dpf than before it right thats one easy way to tell if its hollowed out or not if the temp is not higher thats one of the quickest ways they get people for deletes

My temps were after warmup not after

I have not seen EGT3 be higher than EGT2 on average under steady load operations. The DOC is obviously hotter on the outlet than the inlet, but only during active regen.

Now if you’re talking being pulled over and checked for intact emissions I could see that. That’s because the DPF is heat soaked and an intact DPF will heat the exhaust, but once the temps stabilize the DPF outlet temp will be lower than the intake temp. It takes 3-5 minutes of idling after empty driving for those temps to stabilize. The SCR takes even longer to stabilize at idle because it has to wait until the DPF has stabilized to cool down. It’s important to understand what causing temp increases and decreases. You are looking at snapshot data and taking it for absolute data without understanding the system.

3 minute idle when I got home from a short drive tonight. Empty 45-50 mph, and 3-4 miles of driving after everything warmed up. Didn’t have time to wait for it to fully stabilize at idle temps.

EGT1: 360°F
EGT2: 363°F
EGT3: 370°F
EGT4: 385°F
EGT5: 428°F

As you can see the DPF is nowhere near being above 600°F at idle.

I haven’t hit full idle temps yet. The DOC, DPF, and SCR are all still stabilizing and cooling to their idle temps. At full idle temps EGT1-5 will be progressively cooler.

While driving with a steady load and stabilized EGT’s this is also what you will see, 1 is the hottest and they get progressively cooler thru 5.

downsc123

Reaction score

Same here. 600F or above on my '22 for EGT1 are only seen when driving. At idle or even coasting, EGTs will lower below 600 quickly, At idle, they can drop to 400ish or even lower. On the highway not towing, EGT1 is around 650ish.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have not seen EGT3 be higher than EGT2 on average under steady load operations. The DOC is obviously hotter on the outlet than the inlet, but only during active regen.

Now if you’re talking being pulled over and checked for intact emissions I could see that. That’s because the DPF is heat soaked and an intact DPF will heat the exhaust, but once the temps stabilize the DPF outlet temp will be lower than the intake temp. It takes 3-5 minutes of idling after empty driving for those temps to stabilize. The SCR takes even longer to stabilize at idle because it has to wait until the DPF has stabilized to cool down. It’s important to understand what causing temp increases and decreases. You are looking at snapshot data and taking it for absolute data without understanding the system.

3 minute idle when I got home from a short drive tonight. Empty 45-50 mph, and 3-4 miles of driving after everything warmed up. Didn’t have time to wait for it to fully stabilize at idle temps.

EGT1: 360°F
EGT2: 363°F
EGT3: 370°F
EGT4: 385°F
EGT5: 428°F

As you can see the DPF is nowhere near being above 600°F at idle.

I haven’t hit full idle temps yet. The DOC, DPF, and SCR are all still stabilizing and cooling to their idle temps. At full idle temps EGT1-5 will be progressively cooler.

While driving with a steady load and stabilized EGT’s this is also what you will see, 1 is the hottest and they get progressively cooler thru 5.
You also have the HO and that could be a factor due to the lower compression vs the SO cummins

I would screen shot the readings for you but the EGT probes dont read anymore since the DPF is sitting in the shed lol

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
I noticed the EVIC DPF gauge always reads zero (22 Cummins HO). When I picked up the truck it was reading maybe 20% and went to zero within 100 miles. It's never registered anything since. Any fix?

Also my Scangauge II has odd readings. The truck regened and when it was done it said 40% DPF load. The next morning when I started it it said 23% but very quickly went back up to 40%. Seems a bit weird like the truck isn't reporting correctly. Also the Scangauge says 74% when I fill the truck with DEF but the dash gauge says full. I don't think the Scangauge is faulty since it works perfectly in an '18 Cummins.

My EVIC DPF usually says 0%. But sometimes it is higher. When it is, the variations make no sense. Sometimes it can be at 40+% for a several mile drive. Then I will shut it down at 40% and park it overnight and the next morning at startup it is back to 0% and may stay there for weeks. I used to get regens only at 24 hour intervals. But the truck skipped the last 24 mark. I am approaching 45+ hours since last regen. It is unlikely I missed the last 24 hour regen as I watch for it on my iDash which has a Regen On/Off display in addition to showing all the EGTs. Plus, I know when the truck is approaching 24 hours as I watch that also. But it is possible I missed it. I will watch closely as I approach the 48 hour mark since last noted regen and see what happens. If it does do a regen at 48 hours, then it is likely I just missed the last one somehow. But back to the EVIC gauge... that thing is all over the place for no rhyme or reason on my truck, but majority of the time is at 0%.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You also have the HO and that could be a factor due to the lower compression vs the SO cummins

I would screen shot the readings for you but the EGT probes dont read anymore since the DPF is sitting in the shed lol

You’re really grasping here. The compression differences will not increase EGT’s by hundreds of degrees at idle. My ‘18 had higher compression (not as high as the 19+ SO) and lower power. The EGT readings between the two trucks is indiscernible.

What happens in the exhaust system is the same HO or SO.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You’re really grasping here. The compression differences will not increase EGT’s by hundreds of degrees at idle. My ‘18 had higher compression (not as high as the 19+ SO) and lower power. The EGT readings between the two trucks is indiscernible.

What happens in the exhaust system is the same HO or SO.

Regaurdless of what you think i know the numbers i had but i dont have the proof so the pissing contest you are trying to start is pointless…

superjoe83

Reaction score
My EVIC DPF usually says 0%. But sometimes it is higher. When it is, the variations make no sense. Sometimes it can be at 40+% for a several mile drive. Then I will shut it down at 40% and park it overnight and the next morning at startup it is back to 0% and may stay there for weeks. I used to get regens only at 24 hour intervals. But the truck skipped the last 24 mark. I am approaching 45+ hours since last regen. It is unlikely I missed the last 24 hour regen as I watch for it on my iDash which has a Regen On/Off display in addition to showing all the EGTs. Plus, I know when the truck is approaching 24 hours as I watch that also. But it is possible I missed it. I will watch closely as I approach the 48 hour mark since last noted regen and see what happens. If it does do a regen at 48 hours, then it is likely I just missed the last one somehow. But back to the EVIC gauge... that thing is all over the place for no rhyme or reason on my truck, but majority of the time is at 0%.
I watch the dpf trigger % to see when it's close to a regen, the % correlates with the 24 hour timer, as you can see I'm close to a 24h regen and my "gauge" is a little over 25% which is normal for this truck when I'm not working it. '22 HO

Screenshot_20221107-061735.jpg

20221107_061807.jpg

Will_T

Reaction score
I watch the dpf trigger % to see when it's close to a regen, the % correlates with the 24 hour timer, as you can see I'm close to a 24h regen and my "gauge" is a little over 25% which is normal for this truck when I'm not working it. '22 HO

It is nice that yours EVIC gauge is consistent and makes sense. Mine does not.

What gauge are you using? I do not seem to have that "trigger for DPF regen" PID available on my iDash.

Users who are viewing this thread