Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does MDS/Eco cause a small jolt?

Vapor567

Reaction score
I thought I read MDS and the little green ECO light are separate instances. However, when I accelerate slow it seems I feel a little jolt, almost like a very hard shift. Is this normal?

Squatch

Reaction score
Yeah, you can definitely feel the transition in and out of it, I don’t notice it on the highway, but around town it just feels a bit clunky coming in and out of MDS.

RainDesert

Reaction score
When my 2019 came in and out you could tell around town. Coming out sometimes felt like a shift.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I read some turn it off because it is annoying.

Vapor567

Reaction score
Thanks guys, guess a clunk is the best description. I only feel it going in the eco mode around town, I've yet noticed it on highway or when it turns off.

JinwA

Reaction score
Just a clunk sometimes right after I first start driving the truck. Comes from the area where the frame noise canceller is located. It’s like it is out of synch or something. A couple of bumps then nothing after that. I don’t notice anything like a shift.

Ruffone

Reaction score
You guys must be real sensitive, I have yet to feel mine going in or out of MDS mode. My truck shifts smooth to the point that most of the time I don’t feel the tranny shifting at all, now when I get on the accelerator real hard that’s a different story.

JinwA

Reaction score
The clunks I referred to was when I got in fired it up and left. Accelerated around a corner and clunk, clunk, clunk. It has only happened 3 times. I could wait about 30 seconds and do the same thing and no clunks. Again you can feel it as well as hear it. I had a friend wack the frame with a rubber hammer with the engine off next to the canceller and that is where the sound/vibration was coming from. Just give the system time to initialize.
And as to crying....The things that made it past QC at the factory and at the dealer really ticked me off. It should, the price wasn’t cheap.

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
A slight 'shudder' from time to time, but certainly not a 'jolt' or 'clunk'...

JinwA

Reaction score
My 2007 Ram STD had a 5.7L first year of MDS. It had an annoying 1-2 sec delay if you accelerated as the other 4 cylinders came back online. You also had to be In OD and steady state for around a minute. Really woke me up the first time I went to pass on a narrow 2 lane and no instant power.
Not the case with my 2019. It is very smooth, no delay and goes into eco more often and stays in longer.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Yeah, you can definitely feel the transition in and out of it, I don’t notice it on the highway, but around town it just feels a bit clunky coming in and out of MDS.
+1 - it’s subtle but I also feel sometimes, it’s random, a little more pronounced at times than others in both feel and sound. And that’s pretty dang funny... I cry a lot and don’t know why...

Distillusion

Reaction score
I would never call mine a clunk or even a shudder. Just a very minor vibration and a slightly audible change in the pitch of the exhaust as it kicks in. When it kicks off, I feel a very slight delay in spool-up when I'm accelerating hard. But in normal driving, the delay is not noticeable. The delay is not really due to mechanicals in the MDS, but to the air intake. When it kicks off, it does it in less than a single engine revolution. It starts allowing air/fuel into the cylinders in a few milliseconds. That means the engine starts sucking double the air mass than it had been, and that has to be pulled through the air filter. It's not much difference, just a few more milliseconds, but it's just enough to feel sometimes.

JinwA

Reaction score
The noise canceling is part of the MDS system. The clunks were always associated with that part of the system. Out of synch initialization best I can tell. Never repeated during the same trip. Just at the very beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread