Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion of what made you choose Ram

Rampaging-mn

Reaction score
My first ram was a 2013 1500 sport CC in the black with chrome wheels, it was so beautiful and fast for a 23 year old! That hemi, Dual exhaust, console shifter, DVD player and overall interior sold me! I have owned 4 2500s since then and loved each one. I have played Goldylocks and had stock, leveled, 4 inch lift, 6 inch lift and 8 inch lift trucks and can confidently say 5 inch and 37s is a perfect combo!

I have only considered a 2017 Ford F250 since once, but after driving an XLT with the worst cheap looking interior ever, I quickly jumped back to ram. its criminal how ugly the gray is, how cheap the steering wheel feels, and how much they want for a Ferd. Ram interior is unmatched and anyone who thinks different is lying to themselves, especially when you go dollar for dollar trim for trim. Ive also never had a single problem with any of my 6.4 Hemis, but none of them have seen more than 30k miles lol

Ian745

Reaction score
Ive been an “import” truck guy for years, friends had a ram 1500, i really liked the feel of dIrving, the seat comfort and the steering wheel, coming from a long haul backround, those are high on the list of must haves, so when my last Nissan was giving me issues, i made the jump for way more towing and features of the 3500 Cummins

g00fy

Reaction score
A few main Reasons.

1. Cummins > Duramax & Powerstroke for towing, the cummins may be the slowest, but I trust to do the best job towing. Also if i ever have to work on the truck, the cummins still resembles a motor and everything is fairly accessible, vs having all sorts of stuff hidden under the intake manifold in the valley.

2. AlfaOBD allows me to modify the truck and add features I couldn't get when buying off the lot.

3. The 5th gen I felt had the nicest interior out of the big 3, I love the 12" Uconnect.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of 7 weeks of a leaking sunroof on a truck that is 3 months old with 3k miles. This was the dream truck... delmonico night edition, HO, max tox...

I thought it would be good to re-think why I went with RAM (over ford basically, I didn't even entertain GM products):
  1. Room under the hood, I hate how the powerstroke is just stuffed under the hood and there are hoses just laid on top of the engine.
  2. Interior build quality and features. My previous 2019 F-150 XLT center console was so flexible and there were touch points that had sharp plastic edges (as designed).
  3. I was first shopping in 2019 for a 2020 and the 10 speed in the ford made me nervous I liked the robustness of the Aisin 6 speed. So far the 10 speed seems to be good and now I think Ram lags here.
  4. 100k warranty on RAM covers diesel engine AND powertrain. Ford's only covers the engine to 100k and 60k standard for powertrain.
  5. Looking on fuelly and from my limited test drives the RAM was more efficient from a mpg perspective.
  6. Night edition available on the big horn, for Ford you have to go to at least a lariat to get the "black" appearance package.
  7. The ford column shifter feels so inadequate compared to the ram. Yes this is a pet peeve, but after driving both back to back I felt like the ford would snap off.
  8. Towing capacity on single rear wheel Rams with the HO put ford to shame.
And for fun where I think Ford beats Ram:
  1. Powerstroke/10 speed is way more fun to drive.
  2. First gear ratio on the 10 speed creates a total reduction with 3:55 gears that is lower than my max tow aisin with 4:10. This is huge from a towing ability and efficiency standpoint.
  3. The Ford cab size is perfect. Mega cab is too big and ugly (my opinion) and with kids filling my backseat the crew cab ram is just too small.
  4. Aluminum is the way to go, good for ford going for this. To be fair the curb weights of similar trucks (ram vs ford) are nearly identical with a slight edge to Ford but the ford is also much bigger (see point above).
  5. Every ford comes with Steps. I like this, I wish they were all wheel-wheel steps but it's better than nothing and saves me $600 and a few hours.
  6. The ford mirrors are so much easier to put in tow mode. I like the look of the ram mirrors better but couldn't care less if I have to get out to switch them every time I hook/unhook a trailer (i just leave them out now).
  7. Ford sunroof is actually worth having. I'm 7 weeks into a leaking sunroof on my RAM and waiting on Ram to fix it so I'm pretty scared of sun roofs right now, but if I shop ford I'd consider it again (theirs is awesome).
  8. Ford back seat storage with the flat floor is so much better. I have car seats installed all of the time and can't access the under seat storage on the RAM. With the ford it's easy to slide things in and out from under the seat.
I agree with much of what you have said, but damn the Ram looks nice both inside and out!

Buppies

Reaction score
Have rotated betwee Ford and ram for years truck was 16 F250 King Ranch nice truck hard for wife to get in and out of lots of plastic fuel mileage not so good. 2019 Ram easier for wife to get in and out of seats very comfortable mega cab holds all my stuff and then some. Have not really towed with it yet but Ford needed air bags Ram came with. Overall very pleased fuel mileage great with an 8000 pound truck much better than Ford. Handling is super. Have not owned a GM product since 1989. Hope this helps

Frank

Reaction score
I drove Fords for 20 years except for one 99 Dodge that was a lemon. I wouldn't touch a Chrysler product after that.

2 years ago I burned a holiday weekend replacing all the timing components in a Ford and just kept finding more problems the deeper I dug in that motor. I said screw it and went to look at used trucks at the CJDR lot a@cross from my neighborhood. Didn't like the Ford or GM stock they had. Sales guy said try the Ram what do you have to lose? Got in a 2019 1500 and was sold 30 seconds into the test drive. Knew exactly where to go when we decided to upgrade, plus I put a lot of stock in Cummins.

Zinga

Reaction score
1. The new Fords are ugly (still are)
2. The Ram has a 12 inch screen.

After owning the Ram for 25,000 miles, all I can say is wow. It has great towing power, great engine braking, and is quiet.

Everything else? LOL. Buying nothing or an ugly Ford with a small screen would have been a better decision. But now I can say "I've owned a truck with Cummins power." So, It'll be the last Ram, or Dodge, or Fiat, or Chrysler, or Peugeot or whatever they're called.

Frank

Reaction score
1. The new Fords are ugly (still are)
2. The Ram has a 12 inch screen.

After owning the Ram for 25,000 miles, all I can say is wow. It has great towing power, great engine braking, and is quiet.

Everything else? LOL. Buying nothing or an ugly Ford with a small screen would have been a better decision. But now I can say "I've owned a truck with Cummins power." So, It'll be the last Ram, or Dodge, or Fiat, or Chrysler, or Peugeot or whatever they're called.
Just wait until the 1500 cabs get tooled up for 5th gen HDs. I was sad to see mine go.

bfs673

Reaction score
But now I can say "I've owned a truck with Cummins power." So, It'll be the last Ram, or Dodge, or Fiat, or Chrysler, or Peugeot or whatever they're called.
It's still Ram, but now under the Stellantis umbrella; Who knows who'll own it next year :confused:

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
Needed a truck to tow our “race trailer” (really a toy hauler for our son’s young karting career). Have a Range Rover, which we really like, and it tows 7700 pounds! But it is NOT happy about it. 8 MPG and on premium.

So what do you do when you want a diesel truck that is the most range roverish as possible? Shopped around. The clear answer was a ram 2500 limited. Signed order last week!

bazinga99

Reaction score
Back in the day had a Ford 7.3 Powerstroke and loved that truck. Always had an eye for Ford but Ram has grown on me so much the last few years and absolutely love my 2020 RAM HO. Buddy of mine is going from an '18 Cummins to '21 Ford Powerstroke and the cab is just huge. When the RAM HD cab catches up to the half ton I'll be trading in for that.

Frank

Reaction score
Needed a truck to tow our “race trailer” (really a toy hauler for our son’s young karting career). Have a Range Rover, which we really like, and it tows 7700 pounds! But it is NOT happy about it. 8 MPG and on premium.

So what do you do when you want a diesel truck that is the most range roverish as possible? Shopped around. The clear answer was a ram 2500 limited. Signed order last week!

Something that blows my mind on those Range Rovers. 7700 lbs towing capacity...but max tongue weight in the 400 lbs range. Can't use a WDH on most of them either.

dave41079

Reaction score
It was pretty simple for me. No one else makes the Power Wagon. There's definitely some nostalgia to it for me, but it's also a nice product overall. Good fit and finish, quiet ride, comfortable, all the tech...

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
The first time, it was purely by chance. We were in the midst of moving and happened to have a storage unit directly across from a dealership. They had an Omaha Orange lifted 1500 Sport sitting out next to the road. I stared at that thing waiting to turn left 20+ times over about a week. Once I finally had everything cleared out, I stopped in just to give it a closer look and a few hours later drove home in it.

A couple years later we needed/wanted more bed space and at the time I thought the extra foot in the 2500 would be sufficient, so ended up with another Ram. The previous one treated me right with zero issues, so nothing else was even in consideration.

Since then, my uncle, best friend and two different neighbors had catastrophic failures with their Fords (150 eco, 250 gasser and two 350 diesels). All four of them converted to Ram and each was at least partially due to my Rams.

When we then realized we truly needed the 8' bed, I did comparatively shop the Ford and GM options, but with my list of must haves (8' bed and an engine) plus my wife's must haves (heated seats, "fancy inside", "big screen", crew cab, etc...) there was just no comparison. Similarly equipped trucks from the others were easily 8-10K more and didn't feel as refined, so I happily ordered a Ram.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Back in the day had a Ford 7.3 Powerstroke and loved that truck. Always had an eye for Ford but Ram has grown on me so much the last few years and absolutely love my 2020 RAM HO. Buddy of mine is going from an '18 Cummins to '21 Ford Powerstroke and the cab is just huge. When the RAM HD cab catches up to the half ton I'll be trading in for that.
If you want a big cab then check out the Ram MegaCab. You can get it on the 2500 or 3500.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Came for Cummins reputation and price/features vs competition.

Ironic for me that after I bought it the CP4 Cummins now has a different reputation. Not a good one. I would have bit the bullet and stayed GM if I had known, or waited until 2021.

Love the truck. Not thrilled about the handling of the CP4 controversy.

Users who are viewing this thread