Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion of what made you choose Ram

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Well as we all have seen on many other places. There’s always constant questions of what made you choose Ram over Ford or GM. So let’s hear why you came to Ram.

For me it was all I have ever owned and really worked on. I had the occasional duramax come in and ford’s were daily headaches. I have owned a 95, 00, 03,15, and now my 21. All have had parts fall off and last forever. The 15 and 21 are aisin trucks the rest were manuals. I did own one 15 powerstroke that I did inherit from my uncle. But didn’t like the feel of it. I compared it to my 15 and it was faster but consumed a lot more fuel and had worse mpg empty and even towing. The Rams exhaust break is by far more superior. Ford does have a good transmission that shifts good but wish it had better mpg. The cab on ford is larger but the mega cab on Ram makes up for it. So I would like to hear other’s opinions and thoughts. Let’s not become animals and let’s have a civilized discussion.

diode_ee

Reaction score
Went from an '08 F250 diesel to a '21 3500 CTD mega cab limited. The main reasons I chose a Ram over another Ford were quality of interior, space available in the engine bay for working, ride quality (I have air on the new ram), driving characteristics of a low in-line 6 cylinder over a higher revving V8, and dealership availability to name a few.

If I had to boil it down to one feature it probably would be quality of the interior. This truck will be mainly used for TT towing which will seem luxurious compared to the Ford.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ianacole

Reaction score
For me, it's primarily the look and feel of the truck - and it's not a Ford. I'm coming from an '07 2500 with the 6.7L, and I liked that a lot, so wanted to continue.

whitexc

Reaction score
Ram has the nicest interior in my opinion. I wasn't brand loyal when I began shopping but ended up staying with the brand.....well....mostly....my other two were Dodge brand!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Couldn't afford an f250.

Wouldn't be caught driving one of those ugly Chevy heavy duty pickups.

Overall somehow the ram has more features on a tradesman than the competitors at a lower price. That was how I landed there. Never owned an f series, to this day I still believe I would have been happier with one but this has been a good truck so far and I like having it there and reliable every time I want it. Cant say the same for my previous Chevy.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
When we decided to get a travel trailer we started researching tow vehicles. Our trailer is 30' and weight can be up to 8,800 pounds. This puts it in the upper range of 1/2 ton trucks. But in looking at tongue weight and carry capacity we decided that a 3/4 ton would be safer. Next was cab interior and size. As we would be spending a lot of time in there it had to be comfortable. The interior of the Ram far exceeded what Ford or Chevy/GMC had. Also we loved the size of the MegaCab. Did not like the way the middle part of the CC rear seat is smaller. Then it was about gas vs diesel. As the truck was only going to be a tow vehicle and not a daily driver, there are times it will sit unused. Diesels do not do well setting around. Add in the extra 10 grand in cost, higher maintenance cost and that damn diesel emission fluid and the choice was a no brainer. If you tow heavy/often diesel is great. But if you tow 12k or less then gas is a good choice. We love our truck and it tows great on the grades and in the flats. As far as Ford goes, way to expensive. Unfortunately Chevy has put on the ugliest front end I have ever seen on a truck (Pontiac Aztec ugly). The GMC is a good looking truck and the Denali would have been our second choice. But overall the Ram looks great and in our opinion beats them all hands down.

Last edited:

PGHChris81

Reaction score
For me a few things:

Came from a very new Ford half ton and it had numerous quality issues, in the shop too many times to count.
Wanted something bigger that I could tow more with in anticipation of getting a travel trailer and hauling a tractor or toys.
Heard that FCA was making strides on quality.
Loved the new design, interiors and capabilities 2nd to none in my opinion.
Best price point doesn't hurt either. I feel you get more for your money in almost every category.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
One of the reasons is to p1$$ of my father in law. It’s Ferd only in that family. Wouldn’t even let his own daughter stay at their place when she stayed in the city to attend nursing school because he couldn’t have a Dodge parking outside his house. :rolleyes: Me I like the Mopar thang but if you have something that works for you more power to ya.

roegs

Reaction score
Simple - its the only HD that fits in my garage. RAM CC SB is noticeably shorter in length than GM and Ford.

jarrington

Reaction score
Simple - its the only HD that fits in my garage. RAM CC SB is noticeably shorter in length than GM and Ford.

Not just length but height as well. I'd have preferred the Ford 7.3 / 10 speed auto powertrain but it's about 3" taller for no good reason. The RAM fits under the garage door with 2" to spare so if I had bought a Ford it would be sleeping outside.

500k 5.9

Reaction score
For me it's all about reliability. I have owned several Dodge/ rams over the last 20 years and all have had problems. From stupid stuff like a/c vent doors breaking, dash board breaking like glass to bigger stuff like ball joints and trannys. But not one time have I ever been stranded. Even when my 06 popped the #5 injector line and to when bank 1 injectors shut down from a bad connection at the valve cover harness. (Drove from Savannah to Atlanta on 3 cyl. and it didn't like it one bit). Always got me home. Also, as someone has already mentioned, the room under the hood to work on it if needed. I was able to change out #1 injector at rest area in Wyoming (wasn't driving it back to Atlanta that time!!) . Try to do that on a duramax or Ford. I know for sure I wouldn't try.

Highcountry

Reaction score
I've only ever owned Fords and so has my Dad. I owned my '89 F250 extended cab with 460 and ZF-5 for the last 21 years. I had looked at getting an F350 crew cab in the early 2000's, but I wanted nothing to do with a 6.0 powerstroke and then a new truck wasn't an option for quite awhile after that. My Dad bought a 2008 F350 with the 6.4. It's been a good truck for him and has a really nice interior, but fuel economy is not good. My friends and family who have Cummins engines have never switched to anything else.
I looked at all the brands and I think they all have their strong points. For me the Ram seemed to offer the best value for what it is and just felt like the one I wanted to own for a long time. I wavered a few times on whether I should invest in a Diesel or not. Ultimately I decided that since I tend to keep my vehicles a long time that I'd get the Cummins, so it would do anything I plan to do with it.

Last edited:

mostcorey95

Reaction score
My years as a mechanic i know to avoid other brands... plus six in a row ready to tow!

Oh I agree there. I have worked at a cdjr/ ford dealer. Same lot split down the middle by the service lane. I honestly prefer the simplicity of the Cummins. You can almost touch every part that can go wrong from the top. I use to work as a warranty writer and use to have to go tear into things for other brands and when I went to FCA and they sent me the first engine for investigation it was so much easier.

roegs

Reaction score
RAM's have the nicest interiors (and GM the worst in my opinion). I liked the aluminum body on Ford from a corrosion perspective. I felt that GM's rode the best. In the end, I think they all are good trucks. The truck market is so competitive now that you won't stay in business if you're building a bad product.

500k 5.9

Reaction score
Prior to 2000 I owned nothing but Ford and GM. You couldn't get me in a Dodge if you have one to me back then. But I was wrong. I thought people were kidding when they would say a body will fall off a dodge before the Cummins quit. Finally had a deal I couldn't pass up and have never looked back. My kids had medical needs growing up and I needed a vehicle I knew would start and get us to a hospital no matter hell or high water. The other brands I've had in the past were good but not quite as reassuring as the Cummins. Plus, like h3lzsn1p3er said, six in a row ready to tow.

Carpenterhow

Reaction score
I started my truck search at the ford dealer. I had a Ford F150 XLT crew cab 4x4 that we used to tow our 7000lb trailer for 7 years. It worked great which is why I started my search at the ford dealer when I wanted to go to a 3/4 ton for the extra safety factor because I'm not getting any younger.
The f250 lariat diesel was my first choice. The interior seemed pretty good after driving my XLT but it rode like a bucking bronco and i knew my wife would be unhappy bouncing around in it.
So I was driving by the Ram dealer and thought I'd give it a look. The interior of the Laramie blew the Lariat away but the limited was beyond my budget so that's what I tried. The ride was almost as smooth as my F150 with truck tires instead of passenger tires.
So we bought it last november and will be towing with it for the first time this week. I've never had a diesel before but I hear they tow great.

Pronto

Reaction score
Mega Cab Longhorn with Rambox. That pretty much sums it up for me. Nobody else has anything like those three things. King Ranch lags the Longhorn by a good bit even though it's been around a lot longer. Ram interiors across the board are head and shoulders above Ford and especially GM.

I owned Ford trucks my whole adult life from Ranger through to Superduty until I bought a Ram 1500 Longhorn. I looked at Ford again this time, and the Tremor package with that big 7.3l gas engine was tempting but it still came back to Mega Cab Longhorn with Rambox being the things that I desired most.

I like the looks of the Ram better too although I don't really like the direction they went with the 5th Gen 1500s. If the 5th Gen HD's follow that design lead, I'll be really glad I bought a 4.5.

davis2

Reaction score
One of the reasons is to p1$$ of my father in law. It’s Ferd only in that family. Wouldn’t even let his own daughter stay at their place when she stayed in the city to attend nursing school because he couldn’t have a Dodge parking outside his house. :rolleyes: Me I like the Mopar thang but if you have something that works for you more power to ya.
Well, the Rams make Ferds look like Ram poo... :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread