Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed with 2022 Ram purchase

johndwjr

Reaction score
This post is more to vent. I purchased new and drove a 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3 for 20 years without a single issue. Decided this year to change it up and try a Ram. Purchased a 2022 Bighorn diesel in March. At 6200 miles while on vacation engine light came on, a "4" appeared next to the D indicator and the truck had no power to get up the hill. I had it towed to my dealer on Oct 13. Apparently there was a solenoid issue (as well as the 4 active recalls) and the part was ordered. I got my truck back one month later on Nov 16. During the month the dealer had my truck I received a text letting me know who the service adviser was and a text letting me know the truck was ready. All other communication was initiated by me. No loaners were available. I emailed Stellantis and went back and forth. In week 3 they finally offered a 14 day rental as a "goodwill gesture". The service folks were nice enough. They told me that parts delays were an everyday thing these days and that my situation was not uncommon. Wow. I guess I'm an old fart and just don't understand how in 2023 you can buy a 70k truck and have these things happen with no accountability. In my case, I really didn't need the loaner but what about hardworking folks who use their vehicles for a livelihood?
I plan to sell the truck and take the huge hit. Gonna try a Tundra this time.

mountainears

Reaction score
Do what you feel is right but some of this is a dealer issue not Stellantis (handling of loaner vehicles).

If you think Toyota doesn’t have recalls or their own issues then you might want to peek around.

And you want to replace a HD diesel with a 1/2 ton Tundra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riddick

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles, the 68RFE transmission does not have the best reputation in terms of reliability. The solenoid packs and valve bodies seem to be the most problematic. Unfortunately, modern day diesels are not nearly as reliable as they were 15 years ago due to the emissions equipment installed on them. I would deeply reconsider getting rid of your truck over a single issue. So, if the Tundra has an issue are you going to immediately dump it in favor of a new truck again? If you have had multiple issues I get it but getting rid of a truck from one issue seems a little excessive.... especially one with a bumper to bumper warranty.

I could delete the emissions from my truck and do a mild build on the transmission and still come out on top vs getting rid of it. However, if I were in the market for a new 1/2 ton truck it would be a Tundra Platinum!

WXman

Reaction score
You had the Holy Grail 7.3 diesel Expedition and you got rid of it?? Everybody these days wants one of those.

jebruns

Reaction score
You had the Holy Grail 7.3 diesel Expedition and you got rid of it?? Everybody these days wants one of those.
The 7.3 was reliable, but loud and low on power. I bought a new Ford back in 2003. I had the choice between the new 6.0 or 7.3 diesels. I took the 6.0. Big mistake, although coming off a perfect 2001 first year Duramax, the 7.3 would have been a big step backwards. Lemon Lawed the 6.0.

Anyway, to the OP, sorry to hear about your issue. No fun to have your new truck in the shop for a month. The 68RFE is a very reliable tranny in a stock truck. And if you are pulling something big enough to justify an HD truck, the Toyota is going to have a rough time of it.

johndwjr

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Like I said, it was more to vent. Bottom line is, a month in the shop for a part is absurd and both Stellantis and the dealer should have done more. Specifically, better communication, a loaner truck for the entire time it was in the shop and maybe "We're sorry this took so long, please give us another chance. First service is on us." I guess that's just my old fashioned view that doesn't fit todays messed up world of apathy and poor service.

As for the switch to Tundra, we originally planned on a 5th wheel but have since decided against it. Also, I usually tow under 10k. I purchased the HD because I was used to a big diesel engine and wanted another one.

I got rid of the Excursion because non engine issues were piling up (rust, interior neglect, etc) and I just wanted to focus on other things. In hindsight, fixing up the Excursion would have been a lot cheaper.

CdnHO

Reaction score
The 7.3 was reliable, but loud and low on power. I bought a new Ford back in 2003. I had the choice between the new 6.0 or 7.3 diesels. I took the 6.0. Big mistake, although coming off a perfect 2001 first year Duramax, the 7.3 would have been a big step backwards. Lemon Lawed the 6.0.

Anyway, to the OP, sorry to hear about your issue. No fun to have your new truck in the shop for a month. The 68RFE is a very reliable tranny in a stock truck. And if you are pulling something big enough to justify an HD truck, the Toyota is going to have a rough time of it.
The 7.3 was a great engine. We ran them in a fleet of ambulances and the boy and girls couldn't kill them. Believe me they tried. Then came the 6.0. Half the fleet was in the shop at any one time. With all the emissions issues we ended up switching to GM chassis with gas engines.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Bottom line is, a month in the shop for a part is absurd and both Stellantis and the dealer should have done more.
I understand your frustration and agree with your comment. Unfortunately, that's not the world we live in anymore. Stories abound about owners waiting much longer than a month for parts now. And it's all brands, not just Ram. I know someone locally that had a HD Ford truck down for a year. When you build and price a new truck, you're liable to get a message that an option is not available....due to lack of parts.

A major downside of the covid fiasco is that truck manufacturers found out what their buying public would put up with. So now they know and they aren't wasting much energy to get back to where we were before. As long as supply of new trucks is tight, we as buyers pretty much just have to live with all the new BS. You can try another brand but Stellantis won't care, they'll still sell every new truck they can turn out. They all will.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
A Tundra is not going to like pulling ~10k..will do it but won’t like it RE milage or a nice and relaxed pull.

jebruns

Reaction score
The 7.3 was a great engine. We ran them in a fleet of ambulances and the boy and girls couldn't kill them. Believe me they tried.
Yep, motor was super reliable, probably because of the low HP. The tranny was the weak point in those trucks.

remichex

Reaction score
Not for me, I had a 3500, standard transmission with the 7.3 and it was a brute. So wish they still offered standard transmissions.

jebruns

Reaction score
Not for me, I had a 3500, standard transmission with the 7.3 and it was a brute. So wish they still offered standard transmissions.
Buddy of mine has a Ram Cummins with a manual tranny. Not sure of the year, but not that old. They derate the Cummins in that truck, as the clutch can't take all that power. So he tuned his truck to get the power back, and the clutch promptly went out. He put a stronger one in, but still has to be careful. I've been behind the wheel of it while towing for a few hours. I didn't mind the manual at all. But I don't think it's worth the tradeoffs personally.

remichex

Reaction score
Buddy of mine has a Ram Cummins with a manual tranny. Not sure of the year, but not that old. They derate the Cummins in that truck, as the clutch can't take all that power. So he tuned his truck to get the power back, and the clutch promptly went out. He put a stronger one in, but still has to be careful. I've been behind the wheel of it while towing for a few hours. I didn't mind the manual at all. But I don't think it's worth the tradeoffs personally.
Strange, I have had standards exclusively over the years, two 2500’s and three 3500 chassis cabs, never had the issue you describe. When clutch replacement time came I would upgrade to a heavy duty double disc which did put more power to the ground and I would notice an improvement. I tend to disagree a lot because I haul about 12,400 lbs. of hay through mountainous terrain quite often to my place, no issues especially with the exhaust brake as an aide. I also haul cattle in a 32’ foot trailer, no issues. The stock clutch I would replace at about 100,000 miles. It weathered my storm well. Also, give me a standard anyday on downhill grades with those loads. To each his own.

Dave01

Reaction score
John, I really think you ought to take 3 deep breaths and reconsider. Now that you went through the aggravating part of the fix, why not run the truck for a year, see if you have a good, reliable year of use. If so you might decide to keep it, if not you can sell it then, and one of the nice things about these trucks is you will get close to the same price or trade a year from now.

I agree with Poolmonkey, a Tundra would definitely not be my 1/2 ton choice for towing 10k.

I'm guessing you've enjoyed the driving experience of your Ram 2500 (I'm assuming you have 2500, not 3500) diesel?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed my NV5600 truck, but I wouldn’t go back to it. The Aisin does 95% of things better, and the only time I really miss the NV5600 is using the exhaust brake on slow, steep USFS roads around 7-15mph. Heck, I’ve even used it in reverse on those roads.

I likely spend more time in that scenario than the average owner, but I still prefer what the Aisin does the rest of the time.

For me to get really excited about a manual it would need to be a 7 speed with double OD’s. The engine always wanted another gear, even the 5.9 that liked more rpms than the 6.7’s do.

Strange, I have had standards exclusively over the years, two 2500’s and three 3500 chassis cabs, never had the issue you describe. When clutch replacement time came I would upgrade to a heavy duty double disc which did put more power to the ground and I would notice an improvement. I tend to disagree a lot because I haul about 12,400 lbs. of hay through mountainous terrain quite often to my place, no issues especially with the exhaust brake as an aide. I also haul cattle in a 32’ foot trailer, no issues. The stock clutch I would replace at about 100,000 miles. It weathered my storm well. Also, give me a standard anyday on downhill grades with those loads. To each his own.

Were you running your stock clutches while they were slipping and worn out?

The only way a clutch can put more power to the ground is if the previous one is slipping. Just going to a dual disk doesn’t magically make more power transfer. A dual disk on a stock, or even close to stock, truck is the wrong application for a dual disk.

The manual on downhills is nice, no doubt about that.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
Owning a RAM is truly a dealer to dealer experience. There was a definite downward slide with the DaimlerChrysler merger. One automotive publisher has characterized it as Mercedes biting the apple and spitting out the seeds. Once they obtained what they wanted, Chrysler was sold off, supported by the government, bankrupt, then partially owned by the UAW until Fiat got involved. The current status has Fiat Chrysler merged with PSA Group to create Stellantis. The RAM brand was created back during the last bankruptcy.

You may have a dealer that is great at sales but very poor for service. A service department may be strong on gas powered units but poor for diesels. I know of a dealer that changed hands multiple times within several years. Roasted for their service department practices online, especially by RVers with diesel power. New vehicles on the lot were few. This last change they started focusing on government fleets along with up fitting of same. The dealer I bought my previous truck from doesn't even show up as a location for recall work to be performed. And the location suggested by the RAM app I wouldn't let wash my truck, let alone open the hood.

Dave01

Reaction score
Owning a RAM is truly a dealer to dealer experience. There was a definite downward slide with the DaimlerChrysler merger. One automotive publisher has characterized it as Mercedes biting the apple and spitting out the seeds. Once they obtained what they wanted, Chrysler was sold off, supported by the government, bankrupt, then partially owned by the UAW until Fiat got involved. The current status has Fiat Chrysler merged with PSA Group to create Stellantis. The RAM brand was created back during the last bankruptcy.

You may have a dealer that is great at sales but very poor for service. A service department may be strong on gas powered units but poor for diesels. I know of a dealer that changed hands multiple times within several years. Roasted for their service department practices online, especially by RVers with diesel power. New vehicles on the lot were few. This last change they started focusing on government fleets along with up fitting of same. The dealer I bought my previous truck from doesn't even show up as a location for recall work to be performed. And the location suggested by the RAM app I wouldn't let wash my truck, let alone open the hood.
I totally agree. And a dealer's expertise can at times come down to one guy in the service bay, that just has all the knowledge on a category like the diesels and is the go-to for the other techs and service writers.

My local dealership has a great service department, appointments are on time and they listen to what you want them to do. I usually wait but they will give you a ride somewhere and pick you up later if you want. I didn't buy my Ram there, but have bought quite a few other vehicles over the years. The mantra of "all dealer service sucks" is just not true, there are good and bad dealers for service just like good and bad independent shops.

On the parts delay of the OP - maybe no dealer could have gotten that done faster, but I'm not so sure. I've had experiences on cars and also commercial trucks where a repair place tells me about the supply chain issues and why they can't get a part for 2 weeks, I check in with a different one and they say they can have it in house in 2 days. I think it's a question of not accepting the first answer they get and making a few more calls to locate the problem parts.

remichex

Reaction score
I really enjoyed my NV5600 truck, but I wouldn’t go back to it. The Aisin does 95% of things better, and the only time I really miss the NV5600 is using the exhaust brake on slow, steep USFS roads around 7-15mph. Heck, I’ve even used it in reverse on those roads.

I likely spend more time in that scenario than the average owner, but I still prefer what the Aisin does the rest of the time.

For me to get really excited about a manual it would need to be a 7 speed with double OD’s. The engine always wanted another gear, even the 5.9 that liked more rpms than the 6.7’s do.

Were you running your stock clutches while they were slipping and worn out?

The only way a clutch can put more power to the ground is if the previous one is slipping. Just going to a dual disk doesn’t magically make more power transfer. A dual disk on a stock, or even close to stock, truck is the wrong application for a dual disk.

The manual on downhills is nice, no doubt about that.
With so many “experts” on this forum I will keep my opinions to myself from now on. Like I said, to each his own. Later gator.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
Yep, motor was super reliable, probably because of the low HP. The tranny was the weak point in those trucks.
We had very few transmission issues with 7.3 powered ambulances. We turned them over every five years with a lot of hard miles.

Users who are viewing this thread