Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rear View Mirror

dave41079

Reaction score
This is awesome... I'm hoping maybe once this is released that there will be a retrofit that will work on the 2021's. I'm trying to figure out a way right now to re-locate the rearview camera input so that I can install a camera on the back of my camper shell, and have it display continuously on my mirror the way my CHMSL does now.
I have a solution for that. You just need a new camera (around $100 for the same one that's in the CHMSL), and some fakra z extension cables. You can either connect directly to the mirror, or connect where the current camera wire is behind the CHMSL.

I actually intend to run two wires down from the CHMSL and one from the camera at the back of the truck all to end under the rear seat. I can then connect either the new camera or the existing one depending on whether my Softopper is on/up or not.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I have a solution for that. You just need a new camera (around $100 for the same one that's in the CHMSL), and some fakra z extension cables. You can either connect directly to the mirror, or connect where the current camera wire is behind the CHMSL.

I actually intend to run two wires down from the CHMSL and one from the camera at the back of the truck all to end under the rear seat. I can then connect either the new camera or the existing one depending on whether my Softopper is on/up or not.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to do... So, are you running a FAKRA splitter under the rear seat? Is there a splitter that will allow you to switch between the two views? Also, if you have a link for the camera, that would be great.
Thanks!

surftahoe

Reaction score
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to do... So, are you running a FAKRA splitter under the rear seat? Is there a splitter that will allow you to switch between the two views? Also, if you have a link for the camera, that would be great.
Thanks!

Search this part number a take your pick of Ram part suppliers: 68448640AA

I ordered one last Friday. Hasn’t shipped yet. I am prepping to install hd rear view at rear of my leer cap and install the cargo cam inside the cap. Have all the fakra wiring necessary though I hadn’t considered using a splitter with a switch (but looking in to it now, great idea!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFAngus

Reaction score
Search this part number a take your pick of Ram part suppliers: 68448640AA

I ordered one last Friday. Hasn’t shipped yet. I am prepping to install hd rear view at rear of my leer cap and install the cargo cam inside the cap. Have all the fakra wiring necessary though I hadn’t considered using a splitter with a switch (but looking in to it now, great idea!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the part number. Have you figured out how you'll mount it? I was looking for one in an enclosure so that it can be mounted easily.

surftahoe

Reaction score
Haven’t figured out that part yet. Once I see the camera in hand maybe it’ll just come to me… haha! I’ve been looking at options from a) using an aftermarket 3rd break light for my Leer by personal retro fit, to z) buying a housing that fits the manufacturers part number. I learned from another post in the HD Rams forum that the part number references uses in several vehicles. I’ve reached out hoping to get that part number before my cam is shipped but hoping I can find a vehicle that has an independent mount/housing like a fin or something else that I can flat or top mount to my cap. Will definitely come back to this thread once I come up with something.

-Eric

SFAngus

Reaction score
Haven’t figured out that part yet. Once I see the camera in hand maybe it’ll just come to me… haha! I’ve been looking at options from a) using an aftermarket 3rd break light for my Leer by personal retro fit, to z) buying a housing that fits the manufacturers part number. I learned from another post in the HD Rams forum that the part number references uses in several vehicles. I’ve reached out hoping to get that part number before my cam is shipped but hoping I can find a vehicle that has an independent mount/housing like a fin or something else that I can flat or top mount to my cap. Will definitely come back to this thread once I come up with something.

-Eric

Ok, gotcha... sounds good. Thanks for the info. I'll post here as well if I figure out a good solution.

dave41079

Reaction score
Thanks!
You can use a composite video switcher or coax switcher, you would just need to have adapters from fakra to whatever input the switch uses. I'll probably just have the cable ends easily accessible and just manually change them as I need to. Put the Softopper on/up and connect to the rear. Put it down/off and connect to the CHMSL. I might just leave it connected to the rear at all times though, depending on if I get a good view or not.

Ramit530

Reaction score
Found these Fakra Switcher modules..... Not cheap but clean, can be easily hidden and no need to switch cables routinely !!
https://advancedice.com.au/products/1374/
this would be a great option and control it with an AUX switch.

Last edited:

dave41079

Reaction score
Found these Fakra Switcher modules..... Not cheap but clean, can be easily hidden and no need to switch cables routinely !!
That's not a bad price at all. I like it. Good work!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Interesting. I had an old ICE i-Pod interface/cradle in my 03 Audi before I ripped it out and installed a BT adapter. I wonder if that AdvancedICE is the same (new) company.

RamSled19

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum here, but it's been a few months since the last post, so has there been any advance on the digital mirror working on the 2019 with the 360° cameras and towing.

kpecks

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to where the rear view mirror camera connection is under the rear seat? I finnally got my topper in and want to set up another cam on the back of the topper and run another cam and switcher.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to where the rear view mirror camera connection is under the rear seat? I finnally got my topper in and want to set up another cam on the back of the topper and run another cam and switcher.
Is it for a 21 or 22 truck?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Sorry! 2022 3500 limited megacab
Here’s the location of the jumper where is exits the cab, meets up with the chassis harness, and continues out to the rear bumper tow mode camera connector port. Looks like just below the driver side of the rear seat.
7FED1FAB-BB23-49BD-9C2B-60C21D7A3BEE.jpeg
It’ll be a white fakra connector. The jumper side is female, so you would need a male to female fakra cable to run to your extra camera. You won’t need a switcher on it because the mirror already switches between the camera in the brake light and the tow mode camera.
A9E775A5-BB70-484D-98E3-FE4982C491A4.jpeg

kpecks

Reaction score
Here’s the location of the jumper where is exits the cab, meets up with the chassis harness, and continues out to the rear bumper tow mode camera connector port. Looks like just below the driver side of the rear seat.
View attachment 28372
It’ll be a white fakra connector. The jumper side is female, so you would need a male to female fakra cable to run to your extra camera. You won’t need a switcher on it because the mirror already switches between the camera in the brake light and the tow mode camera.
View attachment 28373
Thanks so much!!!!

kpecks

Reaction score

What I want to do is to be able to switch back and forth between the factory CHMSL camera and the one I’ll mount in the back of the topper. This way I can keep my trailer connection open. I don’t need it everyday but being able to select in a switch rather than messing w the 3rd brake light would be most ideal.

So I’m going to get a coax cable switch and two adapters, one 15’ male to female run to connect new camera to switch, 5’ male to female fakra to leave on the topper and have it all connect/disconnect where the topper meets the bed and tuck the wires in the bed post squares.

Last edited:

kpecks

Reaction score
welp, here goes nothing... 3d printed camera housing commences now... i couldnt find a housing that would work well so i decided to try and make one myself. I have the internal support angled down 3-4* so the housing will sit flat on top of the topper w the camera pointing slighting down. Dimensions are 4" x 3.25" x 2". I am testing this first print in plastic and the final prints in PETG. Final finish will be a color matched car paint to blend in. I will use 3m automotive double sided tape. I added a lens hood to the back of the housing to protect the lens that stick out from the housing. Not sure it will do anything but the hope is to keep water and sun off the lens and minimizing side glare without restricting views

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 1.45.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 4.39.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 4.38.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 4.39.16 PM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread