Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

digital rear view camera won't turn(unsolved)

Dr.Diesel

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2021 Ram 5500 Cab and chassis. I originally had the factory analog back up camera installed, but I had noticed at the rear frame crossmember a connection for a digital camera. I purchased this camera

https://www.camerasource.com/automo...ilter=6023&model_filter=6132&year_filter=6287

Hoping I could get it work by enabling it in alpha OBD but I have not had any luck. I am unable to find any information besides that the connection for the back is for a digital camera.

I should note I have the digital rearview mirror, so not sure that makes a difference. The cab and chassis trucks seem to have some differences in how they are configured to the regular trucks, I am not sure how this plays into getting the camera to function. The Fakra connections were simple and easy. I enabled the cargo camera and the aux camera but get the message"camera isn't connected. I have the button for the aux camera enabled on the screen but when I press it nothing happens. Not sure that matters or not. Stumped.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
The cargo cam and aux trailer cameras have to be analog, and use the correct inputs on the back of the radio.
The fakra you found is for a digital backup camera. That’s the only thing that input on the radio can be used for, and since you have the analog backup camera, you can only use one or the other.

Dr.Diesel

Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy07,

Do you know if it's possible to remove the analog camera so that I can use the digital one instead with AlphaOBD or is this something the dealer has to change?

Is it possible that the connection at the back of chassis for the digital camera only works if you have surround view(which I don't have)? I'd really like to get it to work. I have the digital rearview mirror and would like to relocate that as well but I am unable to access the CHMSL from the outside due to the body on the back fo the truck perhaps I can intercept that from the inside somewhere?

Dr.Diesel

Reaction score
Still stumped. I took the truck to the dealer and they can't figure it out either. As it sits now, I have a digital back up camera input at the rear of the chassis that is useless. It seems odd that chrysler would have the plug back there without any way of using it. The only thing I can think of is that the truck was not built from the factory for surround view and therefore the connector can't do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread