Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did RamTrucks.com remove the VIN lookup tool?

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'm researching Ram 3500's for a potential purchase and wanted to check payload ballpark on upper trims. A few weeks ago I found this through a google search, and the link worked. Now, the URL hits that "you've come to the end of the road" error that the Ram website gives for any invalid URL.

Has anyone found an alternate tool or the new URL? At least a few weeks ago, it seemed to have no navigable path to get there from the Ram website itself, you had to just "know" or have it bookmarked from back in the day (2022 apparently).

Thanks!
-T
I've found mixed success in using https://windowstickerlookup.com/ in addition to googling "{year} ram 3500 payload numbers" and matching the window sticker details with the data sheet from Ram.

Redfour5

Reaction score
It comes and goes. The only thing I can figure is that with the SAE standards having a dynamic quality to them, that can change what the numbers are when, for example there is an update in the standards, or a clarification is provided by the SAE. I'm surprised there isn't some kind of disclaimer when the thing does work to be honest. But over time mine has varied by like 200 lbs on both payload and max tow. The last time I used it a couple months ago my payload went up 200 lbs from like 3080 to 3200 and change... Same for the 15K max tow. It's nice when it works but the charts still out there will also get you in the ballpark.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It comes and goes. The only thing I can figure is that with the SAE standards having a dynamic quality to them, that can change what the numbers are when, for example there is an update in the standards, or a clarification is provided by the SAE. I'm surprised there isn't some kind of disclaimer when the thing does work to be honest. But over time mine has varied by like 200 lbs on both payload and max tow. The last time I used it a couple months ago my payload went up 200 lbs from like 3080 to 3200 and change... Same for the 15K max tow. It's nice when it works but the charts still out there will also get you in the ballpark.

It’s likely computer glitches not SAE changes.

Your payload is GVWR minus curb weight, so that’s not going to change.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Best way is to weigh the truck empty and do the math as recommended by @AH64ID . Can't trust Chrysler anyway. LOL

SonoranWanderer

Reaction score
It’s likely computer glitches not SAE changes.

Nerd warning...

It is exactly "computer glitches" or rather bad programming. If pull up the Developer Tools built into your browser you will find that the in the backend RAM's towing guide (click "Look up my vehicle") is returning an error. After you enter your VIN and click "Find" it wants to call: https://www.ram.com/towingws/TowingServlet?vin=YOUR_VIN_HERE&serviceType=json&action=TOWINGINFOBYVIN , run that URL directly in your browser and you get:

{"data":{"status":"failure","status_code":"ERR_105","status_desc":"ServiceType is not valid. It should be 'XML\/JSON'."}}

Somewhere in the corporate offices of FCA/Chrysler or some contracted vendor, a software engineer isn't doing good job of QA'ing their code. He probably said something to the effect:

Works on my machine. Ship it!

After a bit of playing around, I found that this URL below may work in your browser to return you a raw data JSON object with your vehicle data. Swap in your VIN. Note, the forum software keeps visually shortening this URL, you will have to right click and "Copy Link Address".

My Result:
1712072454283.png

Might be a bit more readable in XML format depending on your browser:

Chrome here:
1712072012520.png

Very important note here for those not as well versed in this data, Base Curb Weight is not YOUR curb wieght, it is the estimated curb weight of a stripped, base model truck. Calculate your curb weight as

GVWR (10k for me) - max_payload (2755 for me) = 7245 factory (as shipped) curb weight

And as always, weigh your vehicle as you drive it (regularly loaded with all normal passengers) to get your most current numbers.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Nerd warning...

It is exactly "computer glitches" or rather bad programming. If pull up the Developer Tools built into your browser you will find that the in the backend RAM's towing guide (click "Look up my vehicle") is returning an error. After you enter your VIN and click "Find" it wants to call: https://www.ram.com/towingws/TowingServlet?vin=YOUR_VIN_HERE&serviceType=json&action=TOWINGINFOBYVIN , run that URL directly in your browser and you get:

Somewhere in the corporate offices of FCA/Chrysler or some contracted vendor, a software engineer isn't doing good job of QA'ing their code. He probably said something to the effect:

After a bit of playing around, I found that this URL may work in your browser to return you a raw data JSON object with your vehicle data. Swap in your VIN

My Result:
View attachment 71259

Might be a bit more readable in XML format depending on your browser:

Chrome here:
View attachment 71258

Very important note here for those not as well versed in this data, Base Curb Weight is not YOUR curb wieght, it is the estimated curb weight of a stripped, base model truck. Calculate your curb weight as

And as always, weigh your vehicle as you drive it (regularly loaded with all normal passengers) to get your most current numbers.

Good info but they still have some back end data/database issue (missing) or code as well.

I'm seeing a bunch of CORS errors so there's that too.

That very first link you show only shows MY 2018. 2017.

What a hot mess.

My 2020 "lookup"

data>
<script/>
<status>failure</status>
<status_code>ERR_104</status_code>
<status_desc>Model Year outside supported range.</status_desc>
</data>

SonoranWanderer

Reaction score
Good info but they still have some back end data/database issue (missing) or code as well.

I'm seeing a bunch of CORS errors so there's that too.

That very first link you show only shows MY 2018. 2017.

What a hot mess.

My 2020 "lookup"

data>
<script/>
<status>failure</status>
<status_code>ERR_104</status_code>
<status_desc>Model Year outside supported range.</status_desc>
</data>

:(

Try this URL (swap VIN), what does it show you? I have a 2023

daemonic3

Reaction score
:(

Try this URL (swap VIN), what does it show you? I have a 2023
This worked for me, and I have a 2024 with a window sticker available, but truck still at Saltillo plant waiting for a train. Do we know the difference between mpi_max_payload and max_payload? The mpi one is roughly 230# more in my case, but already being 3699# vs 3930# it is kind of noise. If I take the GVWR minus the "base curb weight" I get the higher mpi payload. Perhaps the 230# is with full fuel (31 gallons diesel in my case should be ~240#)

SonoranWanderer

Reaction score
This worked for me, and I have a 2024 with a window sticker available, but truck still at Saltillo plant waiting for a train. Do we know the difference between mpi_max_payload and max_payload? The mpi one is roughly 230# more in my case, but already being 3699# vs 3930# it is kind of noise. If I take the GVWR minus the "base curb weight" I get the higher mpi payload. Perhaps the 230# is with full fuel (31 gallons diesel in my case should be ~240#)

MPI is base model (stripped) truck. The less advantageous number is your truck's number "as built". Those cool extras and luxury features we like to have add weight to the vehicle and subtract from payload and towing.

SonoranWanderer

Reaction score

My '23 sat at the Saltillo plant for ~4 months waiting to ship last year. I hope you don't have to wait as long as I did.

Last edited:

daemonic3

Reaction score
MPI is base model (stripped) truck. The less advantageous number is your truck's number "as built". Those cool extras and luxury features we like to have add weight to the vehicle and subtract from payload and towing.

Right on. I guess since my F150 had about 600# of options from the base, I thought 230# seemed small for this beast. But really I only got sunroof, tail step, clearance lamps and longhorn package above the base spec'd 4x4 CCSB+Rambox. 230# seems like a bargain for those options.

By the way, GREAT find digging into this. I have been wanting to preview my payload since I ordered and I bookmarked the VIN towing tool to see if it ever came back occasionally. Nice work!

SonoranWanderer

Reaction score
Right on. I guess since my F150 had about 600# of options from the base, I thought 230# seemed small for this beast. But really I only got sunroof, tail step, clearance lamps and longhorn package above the base spec'd 4x4 CCSB+Rambox. 230# seems like a bargain for those options.

By the way, GREAT find digging into this. I have been wanting to preview my payload since I ordered and I bookmarked the VIN towing tool to see if it ever came back occasionally. Nice work!

I glad it worked for you, I wish it worked for all, even more so that RAM's site would "just work" like it should.

daemonic3

Reaction score
My '23 sat at the Satillo plant for ~4 months waiting to ship last year. I hope you don't have to wait as long as I did.
I feel your pain! They are shipping EXTREMELY quickly currently, some were built after mine and have already shipped. It has only been 3.5 weeks sitting for me currently but painful seeing others that sat less than 1 week at the plant and jumped ahead of me.

My F150 took 7 months and our Maverick took 13 months. Good things come to those who wait, but it is HARD when this excited...

Jersimon

Reaction score
Could someone decipher the results of my vin? When using the above link, I get:
success3C6UR5SL8RG2793991957.392050.001957.3919348.4219200.019488.391000027531.00600060407807.58

UglyViking

Reaction score
I guess there becomes a time when that data is no longer supported, haha. My year is now outside the range of that tool. Kinda surprising as I can't imagine it's a huge table to keep.

Users who are viewing this thread