Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dicks 22' 3500

Electronut

Reaction score
Huh yeah couldn't tel you then. I just wired the thing up and no problems. In reality it's just a light bar running off 4 flat trailer wires. Email them for sure if your having doubts.
Looks like you should tie in directly to tail lights which makes sense to me due to concerns I mentioned.

Their response to me:

Thank you for contacting OPT7.

If you are using the hardwire method, you cannot hardwire to the 7 pin, it has to HARDIWRE to the TAILLIGHTS. Only by HARDWIRE to the TAILLIGHTS will allow all function to work normal.

Triple Tailgate (Hard-wired)
-BLIS (Blind Spot Notification Signal)
-ALL 2019 - 2022 + VEHICLES

Support Guides:
- https://wintis.ladesk.com/125133-Wh...rve-on-the-Redline-Tailgate-Bar-4-Pin-Harness
- https://wintis.ladesk.com/864197-Wh...-pin-serve-on-the-Redline-Triple-Tailgate-Bar
- https://wintis.ladesk.com/097891-Wh...dline-Triple-LED-Tailgate-Bar-for-hard-wiring-

We can provide you a video of how to HARDWIRE the Redline Triple Tailgate Light Bar to the TAILLIGHTS from our influencer, you may start watching at 3:13. -
The vehicle in the video may be different with yours, but the concept is the same!

Please let us know if there is anything else you need and we would be glad to help.

Best regards,
Bernie L.
OPT7 Customer Experience Team
ARIES Lighting Team

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
Found it on Amazon. Putco 92009-60 60" Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar with Power Wire Modification They have a Install video for Ram on the Putco Site. This is the New Part number.Part Number: 9201960-04 | Install Guide
UPC: 010536994599

Last edited:

Dinky503

Reaction score
Looks like you should tie in directly to tail lights which makes sense to me due to concerns

Yeah I am sure they are telling you that, but I am telling you how I installed mine and never had any issues. Mine has been installed for a year now and I don't know what to tell you. Install it as you sit fit and I am sure you will be fine.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
Absolutely do not tie any additional lighting into the factory lights. Those circuits are not designed to handle additional load. This is repeated over and over in the body builder guides. If you need to attach additional lighting it must be powered via the trailer lighting circuits or via VSIM attached relay (if you optioned your truck with the VSIM. If you don't know what it is, you don't have it).

Dinky503

Reaction score
Absolutely do not tie any additional lighting into the factory lights. Those circuits are not designed to handle additional load. This is repeated over and over in the body builder guides. If you need to attach additional lighting it must be powered via the trailer lighting circuits or via VSIM attached really (if you optioned your truck with the VSIM. If you don't know what it is, you don't have it).

Yep

Electronut

Reaction score
Huh yeah couldn't tel you then. I just wired the thing up and no problems. In reality it's just a light bar running off 4 flat trailer wires. Email them for sure if your having doubts.
Looks like you should tie in directly to tail lights which makes sense to me due to concerns I mentioned.

heir response to me:

Thank you for contacting OPT7.

If you are using the hardwire method, you cannot hardwire to the 7 pin, it has to HARDIWRE to the TAILLIGHTS. Only by HARDWIRE to the TAILLIGHTS will allow all function to work normal.

Triple Tailgate (Hard-wired)
-BLIS (Blind Spot Notification Signal)
-ALL 2019 - 2022 + VEHICLES

Support Guides:
- https://wintis.ladesk.com/125133-Wh...rve-on-the-Redline-Tailgate-Bar-4-Pin-Harness
- https://wintis.ladesk.com/864197-Wh...-pin-serve-on-the-Redline-Triple-Tailgate-Bar
- https://wintis.ladesk.com/097891-Wh...dline-Triple-LED-Tailgate-Bar-for-hard-wiring-

We can provide you a video of how to HARDWIRE the Redline Triple Tailgate Light Bar to the TAILLIGHTS from our influencer, you may start watching at 3:13. -
The vehicle in the video may be different with yours, but the concept is the same!

Please let us know if there is anything else you need and we would be glad to help.

Best regards,
Bernie L.
OPT7 Customer Experience Team
ARIES Lighting Team
Found it on Amazon. Putco 92009-60 60" Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar with Power Wire Modification They have a Install video for Ram on the Putco Site. This is the New Part number.Part Number: 9201960-04 | Install Guide
UPC: 010536994599
Wow. That lightbar is 3x the cost of the OPT7. Any issues on the install? Did you do that wiring Option #3 in the instructions since we have LED taillights? That seems like a pain since have to grab +12v from the truck battery. Wouldn't trust tying into 7way for that.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
The first one I listed was for my 18. The second one I have not installed. The information on the second one was for using the adapter supplied with the Bar for a Ram.

Electronut

Reaction score
Absolutely do not tie any additional lighting into the factory lights. Those circuits are not designed to handle additional load. This is repeated over and over in the body builder guides. If you need to attach additional lighting it must be powered via the trailer lighting circuits or via VSIM attached relay (if you optioned your truck with the VSIM. If you don't know what it is, you don't have it).
Familair with the VSIM as my truck has the option. Came with a bunch of harnesses including those for the aux panel which I already used 3 of those up to add lighting and compressor for air horn. Works out awesome to have actually because with these trucks you can't do the add a fuse type power connection since their aren't any fuse panel connections in the engine bay.

Based on G's response and did a little more research in this regard, can we add the adapter harness prior to the factory 7 pin at the rear and tie in that way and not interfere with our trucks electronics (led tail lights, backup camera, backup sensors, and actual 7 pin hookup for proper use of our travel trailers including factory brake controller etc)? Seems a bit confusing as so many installation instructions but haven't seen any that show installation of the 2019+ Rams with the full blown electronic accessories. I will research more the VSIM option and head to bodybuilder guides which is where I got all the answers for my aux wiring and hookups.
The New Putco 60" Bar shows it comes with the Adapter Harness for Install. Plugs into the 7 Pin trailer plug underneath. No Wire taps all plugs.
Thanks G.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Familair with the VSIM as my truck has the option. Came with a bunch of harnesses including those for the aux panel which I already used 3 of those up to add lighting and compressor for air horn. Works out awesome to have actually because with these trucks you can't do the add a fuse type power connection since their aren't any fuse panel connections in the engine bay.

Based on G's response and did a little more research in this regard, can we add the adapter harness prior to the factory 7 pin at the rear and tie in that way and not interfere with our trucks electronics (led tail lights, backup camera, backup sensors, and actual 7 pin hookup for proper use of our travel trailers including factory brake controller etc)? Seems a bit confusing as so many installation instructions but haven't seen any that show installation of the 2019+ Rams with the full blown electronic accessories. I will research more the VSIM option and head to bodybuilder guides which is where I got all the answers for my aux wiring and hookups.

Thanks G.
Yeah, you should be fine using the adapter harnesses that plug in behind the 7-pin. Those circuits are designed for a bit of an unknown power draw since there's no way to know what kind of lighting a trailer will have on it.

Electronut

Reaction score
Yeah, you should be fine using the adapter harnesses that plug in behind the 7-pin. Those circuits are designed for a bit of an unknown power draw since there's no way to know what kind of lighting a trailer will have on it.
Yep. Just finally confirmed too after reading up. That's the best way to go on this install without messing up your warranty on the truck. No splicing into factory wiring using that adapter from Putco which is key. Need the new Putco item # G pointed out which includes the light bar and harness. Damn steep though as will be like $370.00 with tax for both. Kind of nuts but like you mentioned going into the tail lights is a no-no so definitely not going with the OPT7 product based on their bad install advise they provided me right there.

Nobody is discounting these Putco bars either as you have to pay the full retail so that's a bummer. Putco is just better quality all around with a warranty that far exceeds anyone else. Better to have piece of mind and have pretty simple wiring install too.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
I had mine installed for over 3 years with no issues. I even received additional clips from them when asked them. No charge.

Electronut

Reaction score
I had mine installed for over 3 years with no issues. I even received additional clips from them when asked them. No charge.
Just ordered directly from Putco to make easy. $348 and free ground shipping and surprised no tax.

Dinky - sorry I hijacked your thread on this lightbar crap.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Just ordered directly from Putco to make easy. $348 and free ground shipping and surprised no tax.

Dinky - sorry I hijacked your thread on this lightbar crap.

No worries about the high jacking It's what forums are for. Just remember trucks system lights are on a finicky system, trailer lights are not. Trailers change in size and shape, with all sorts of different lights. It needs to be flexible so us users don't have issue going from a 40ft toy hauler to a 10ft utility trailer. The light bar in question is just a light and does what is told by the truck.

Scooter29

Reaction score
I am new to this site, but not new to ram.

22' Ram 3500 big horn SRW SO.

35x12.5 toyo AT3
Fuel vector 18x9 wheels.

Full thuren suspension:
-- 1.75 front spring level.
-- Active sway bar.
-- Track bar.
-- King steering damper.
-- Rear leaf springs.
-- Rear shackles set to -1/2in
-- King 2.5 shocks.

Non thuren.
-- Wireless one airbag compressor
-- 5k air lift air bags on daystar cradles.
-- Synergy steering box brace.

Assesories:
--Amp power steps
--Amp rear bumper step.
-- Led head light bulbs.
-- Switch back turn signals.
-- Morimoto projector fogs.(waiting to send in baja sae fogs for gen 2s)
-- Custom made bajadesigns squadrons pros lower grill.
-- Baja designs s2 flush mount back up lights rear bumper.
-- Tailgate light bar.
-- Protech headache rack.
-- Headache mounted spotlights and floodlights.
-- 20% front windows 70% windshield.
-- rough country rear wheel well liners
-- weather tech mud flaps.

Coming soon:
-- Black wire mesh grill.
-- Baja designs lp6 x2. (Behind grill)
-- ARB dual air compressor for on board air.

Wish list.
-- projector headlights.
-- cargo camera.
-- digital rear view mirror.
-- power fold mirrors.

View attachment 50981View attachment 50983View attachment 50985View attachment 50984View attachment 50986

View attachment 50987

View attachment 50992View attachment 50990
Very interested in how the suspension setup is working? What stage valving do you have on your front 2.5s? What are you towing and how is the rear end with the full leafs, empty how is the ride and do the air bags constantly ride in the cradles? How much air depending on weight do you have to add to the bags and what’s the ride like then? And what was total lift once settled if you have hub to fender opening measurements. Sorry for all the questions but almost no one has this exact setup and it’s what I’m looking at as I don’t want a lot of lift but the .5” coils don’t give you the full benefit of more uptravel. Hoping with the 1.75” coils and leafs with the rear shackle in the normal position I’ll only gain 3/4 to 1” higher in the front. Thanks in advance

Dinky503

Reaction score
Very interested in how the suspension setup is working? What stage valving do you have on your front 2.5s? What are you towing and how is the rear end with the full leafs, empty how is the ride and do the air bags constantly ride in the cradles? How much air depending on weight do you have to add to the bags and what’s the ride like then? And what was total lift once settled if you have hub to fender opening measurements. Sorry for all the questions but almost no one has this exact setup and it’s what I’m looking at as I don’t want a lot of lift but the .5” coils don’t give you the full benefit of more uptravel. Hoping with the 1.75” coils and leafs with the rear shackle in the normal position I’ll only gain 3/4 to 1” higher in the front. Thanks in advance

I don't mind answering these questions. I wish there was someone to answer these for me when i pulled the trigger, but there are not many trucks set up this way for sure. It was nerve racking pulling the trigger as it was a lot of $$$ lol. OEM rear leaf spring torque spec calls for 320lbs DO NOT torque to that spec. This caused the springs to bind and it took two weeks to figure this out, I almost sent them back.

-king 2.5s are tuned to stage 2.

- I tow a roofing panel machine a lot, fully loaded its about 15k. I also have a 35ft goose neck dually flat bed, which I've had across the scales at 18,500ish. Tows just fine nothing felt unstable so far.

- 5th gen went with a bigger diameter rear end and changed the geometry of the leaf springs from factory. They sit 2in lower to the axle than 4th gens. Air bags definitely sit in the cradles a lot and fully sprung they are about 6in out. With my goose neck and 18k I had the bags at 75psi to bring back up to level, with 3,000in the bed it took 45psi, 5,500 takes 85psi. Thuren chart is pretty spot on for drop. Having air bagd and cradles you only have about 6in of downward travel before you bottom out. Not much room on the 5th gens. I do have the wireless one air system so min air pressure is 5psi.

-The rear leaf springs took about 1,500 miles to break in fully. The empty ride is amazing over stock, crossing speed bumps at a angle is awesome. Dropping off a ledge like a curb is like Dropping on to pillows. Off road is awesome you really see it shine at higher speeds. Driving around town is definitely a lot softer, but do not forget you still bought a 3500 truck.

- I forgot the measurements I will do that tomorrow for you. I know when I was a Thurens HQ I was sitting exactly 1in higher in the rear than the front. You will definitely want the shackles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread