Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delivery Miles

rb92673

Reaction score
If it has higher miles it could also be a dealer trade. My father in law used to work as a driver for a Mercedes dealer and he would deliver a trade fairly commonly. My ordered truck had 10 miles on delivery.

223500DRW

Reaction score
Just curious what are folks seeing for actual miles driven on their ODO when taking delivery of their new truck? When I was test driving various models at the dealership I saw a low of 11 miles and a high of 90 miles., which just could be racked up from test drives,

I'm assuming from assembly line to dealership the average truck isn't rolling very far.
when I went to see mine I had 10 miles on 1st order second truck had 28. and that was because the front bumper jad damage body shop was 7 miles each way so 10 for pdi and 14 round trip. when I test drove it I left the lot with 38 miles on my odometer

cbrenthus

Reaction score
Remember that you are buying from a dealer. They can change the odometer reading before they hand it to you.

I think most dealers have stopped doing this - it's too risky. Here is a video of my buddy trying to roll back an odometer at the dealer he works at and what went wrong:

PastelInfatuatedDartfrog-max-1mb.gif

Seriously though, I don't think any vehicle in the last 20+ years is able to have the odometer rolled back by anyone unless they replace the ECU, and possibly more. I replaced a dash in a '99 sebring and the miles didn't change (grabbed them from the ECU). Somebody also mentioned shipping mode doesn't put miles on the vehicle, which I also highly doubt. The miles on a vehicle are heavily regulated and any manufacturer caught messing with them would be in serious trouble, probably worse than the VW diesel scandal. A big part of this is warranty - your 36K warranty starts when you take delivery, not at 0, so if you have 50 miles on your truck when you buy it, they note that on the paperwork because your warranty is good until 36,050 miles.

Cseybert

Reaction score
Picked my truck up from MD 04/23/22 with 15 miles on her.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think most dealers have stopped doing this - it's too risky. Here is a video of my buddy trying to roll back an odometer at the dealer he works at and what went wrong:

Seriously though, I don't think any vehicle in the last 20+ years is able to have the odometer rolled back by anyone unless they replace the ECU, and possibly more. I replaced a dash in a '99 sebring and the miles didn't change (grabbed them from the ECU). Somebody also mentioned shipping mode doesn't put miles on the vehicle, which I also highly doubt. The miles on a vehicle are heavily regulated and any manufacturer caught messing with them would be in serious trouble, probably worse than the VW diesel scandal. A big part of this is warranty - your 36K warranty starts when you take delivery, not at 0, so if you have 50 miles on your truck when you buy it, they note that on the paperwork because your warranty is good until 36,050 miles.
Yes it can be changed but with it being a felony no one does it and its easy to tell as the millage is stored in 4 different computers and they can only change the ODO not the rest

kristof

Reaction score

Yes it can be changed but with it being a felony no one does it and its easy to tell as the millage is stored in 4 different computers and they can only change the ODO not the rest
I agree. But who will look it up except the dealer? I'm pretty sure it will be a different charge if the dealer roll back couple hundreds miles from a brand new truck then if they bought it used and rolled it back.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I agree. But who will look it up except the dealer? I'm pretty sure it will be a different charge if the dealer roll back couple hundreds miles from a brand new truck then if they bought it used and rolled it back.
Nope there is no guidelines felony fraud is felony fraud…. Tons of people can look it up including FCA checks that when big warranty work is needed…. No dealer would roll back millage way to risky for no reason

AFF

Reaction score
This is how they arrive. They can flip it out of ship mode I think or it does it on it's own when the odo hits a certain amount to miles as far as I know.
89f5f5261a2a04e58fca6aaced291861.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is how they arrive. They can flip it out of ship mode I think or it does it on it's own when the odo hits a certain amount to miles as far as I know.
View attachment 38466
It is part of the Inspection when they recieve the vehicle and remove any and all plastic seat covers/ protection film and remove it from shipping mode

Reactions: AFF

Brad83

Reaction score
I bought my '11 with 26 miles on it. It was built in June and I bought it in April, 2012. I was really surprised the mileage was that low. I didn't even drive it before I bought it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I bought my '11 with 26 miles on it. It was built in June and I bought it in April, 2012. I was really surprised the mileage was that low. I didn't even drive it before I bought it.
My 19 was a similar situation, i bought it may 2020 it was one of the last 19s off the line it was built july 19 and it only had 30km and the dealers storage lot was 3km away and the nearest fuel was 10k away so it was not driven anywhere else in

cbrenthus

Reaction score
View attachment 38466
Neat! but all ship mode does is disable unnecessary electronics. You don't want some lot porter cranking the stereo on his smoke break, things like that. It does not disable to odometer, and when the odometer reaches 110 miles it automatically disables ship mode.

Source: https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuild...jGgHzAHGUTU0WB3rWuqSY7YmQ2vEhuBWBNEjUV3DAnac

Clintock

Reaction score
Picked mine up yesterday and 6 miles on it. I drove it about 7 testing it out.

QuattroCS

Reaction score
Neat! but all ship mode does is disable unnecessary electronics. You don't want some lot porter cranking the stereo on his smoke break, things like that. It does not disable to odometer, and when the odometer reaches 110 miles it automatically disables ship mode.

Source: https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilder/service/Image?imageId=MtQrP/FqLY5r/est8MtGjGgHzAHGUTU0WB3rWuqSY7YmQ2vEhuBWBNEjUV3DAnac
could this also be the reason for the fuses not being pushed in all the way?

cbrenthus

Reaction score
could this also be the reason for the fuses not being pushed in all the way?
No, that's just bad QC - and Wranglers and Pacificas have unseated fuses as well. I know the Wrangler and Pacifica share the fuse block, and I bet the RAM has the same one as well.

AFF

Reaction score
With the fuses not pushed in all the way, it's probably a holder of some kind they pushes in the fuses all at once and designed not to push them in all the way saving risk of damage. More than likely they should be pushed in by hand when at the dealer during PDI. I'm just speculating here.

JimKIII

Reaction score
With the fuses not pushed in all the way, it's probably a holder of some kind they pushes in the fuses all at once and designed not to push them in all the way saving risk of damage. More than likely they should be pushed in by hand when at the dealer during PDI. I'm just speculating here.
When I picked my truck up at MD, because of the info from this forum, I checked all the fuses with Charles standing by. 80% of the fuses needed to be pushed in - some were only in maybe a 1/4 of the way. Charles was pretty surprised that I knew to check them. Definite shout-out to this forum!

Reactions: AFF

Users who are viewing this thread