Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delivery Miles

techman

Reaction score
Just curious what are folks seeing for actual miles driven on their ODO when taking delivery of their new truck? When I was test driving various models at the dealership I saw a low of 11 miles and a high of 90 miles., which just could be racked up from test drives,

I'm assuming from assembly line to dealership the average truck isn't rolling very far.

arx237

Reaction score
Mark Dodge, picked up with 18 miles, about 3 of those were them going and topping off the tank.

superjoe83

Reaction score
I would say that anything under 20 would be normal, when I bought my '18 off the lot it had 9 on it

Redfour5

Reaction score
Now days less than 20 is avg. When the dealers had lots full of them, they had more miles on them as they had people test driving them and a lot more casual lookers wishing they could buy. On both my previous 1500's they had 3 digit miles on them before I took delivery. And I bet a few stomped on the accelerator before breaking in... Now days, they are more than often sold before they get off the truck. How many "in transit" notices do you see now if you are shopping on line. Different story... Dealers have a few if they can keep them any time on the lot and use them so people ordering one can test drive them as a surrogate for the one they are ordering so they can see what they are like.

It appears that after all this is over (Covid, Supply chain, Ukraine war, recession) if it ever gets over, the world will be different including American Car dealerships with fewer dealers with lots full of cars and trucks and that things will move more and more to an ordering model of purchase with smaller lots and dealerships oriented more to service centers... Once supply chain issues sort out and that could be years as international supply chains contract with more in country suppliers and fewer halfway around the world suppliers etc., order deliver times should decline from months and months. Some think there may be fewer bells and whistles as a general rule with more standard safety stuff but you will PAY AND PAY for things like sun roofs, ramboxes etc...

Most people do NOT realize, but we are in the middle of a collapse of an entire integrated, intertwined world economy completely driven by Deming based rules of manufacturing extended across the entire world. It will not be a total collapse and some day may get back to where it was, but not until G8 level countries quit invading other countries... The evolving interdependent international economy had its fragility revealed by Covid and this latest war and as it transitions to something new, well, this is what you get...

cbrenthus

Reaction score
I've bought several vehicles with less than 10 miles on them:

'15 Silverado - the lot had 3 identical ones, I did the deal over the phone and drove to get it, it had 3 miles on it and the sales guy said it had 2 when he got in it and it flipped to 3 when he pulled it around.

'17 Miata RF - I think maybe 7 miles? I was watching for a red one to arrive at a dealer, and when it did I was there immediately.

'17 STi - It was still in transit when I made the deal, so it was already sold when it arrived to the dealer. I think it only had 3 miles on it.

'17 CX-5 - Bought for my wife, another vehicle that had just arrived and I think also was only 3 or so miles, could have been more but was definitely less than 10.

'19 JLUR and '20 Pacifica - both custom orders and both well under 10 miles. I think the JLUR might have been 5 and the pacifica about the same.

Basically, if you order you should have less than 10, especially if you're like me and tell the dealer to do minimal PDI. For the Miata, STi, and Pacifica they all came with a free tank of gas and I drove to the gas station with the sales person to fill it ;)

However, if you're order get's flagged for extra QA before shipping, you could have quite a few miles, up to 100, when it is delivered :(

Years ago my mom bought a brand new Mercedes with a couple hundred test drive miles (she didn't care) and after a year or so the paint on the trunk started bubbling. When she took it in to be re-painted, the body guy told her it had been wrecked from behind pretty badly.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I've bought several vehicles with less than 10 miles on them:

'15 Silverado - the lot had 3 identical ones, I did the deal over the phone and drove to get it, it had 3 miles on it and the sales guy said it had 2 when he got in it and it flipped to 3 when he pulled it around.

'17 Miata RF - I think maybe 7 miles? I was watching for a red one to arrive at a dealer, and when it did I was there immediately.

'17 STi - It was still in transit when I made the deal, so it was already sold when it arrived to the dealer. I think it only had 3 miles on it.

'17 CX-5 - Bought for my wife, another vehicle that had just arrived and I think also was only 3 or so miles, could have been more but was definitely less than 10.

'19 JLUR and '20 Pacifica - both custom orders and both well under 10 miles. I think the JLUR might have been 5 and the pacifica about the same.

Basically, if you order you should have less than 10, especially if you're like me and tell the dealer to do minimal PDI. For the Miata, STi, and Pacifica they all came with a free tank of gas and I drove to the gas station with the sales person to fill it ;)

However, if you're order get's flagged for extra QA before shipping, you could have quite a few miles, up to 100, when it is delivered :(

Years ago my mom bought a brand new Mercedes with a couple hundred test drive miles (she didn't care) and after a year or so the paint on the trunk started bubbling. When she took it in to be re-painted, the body guy told her it had been wrecked from behind pretty badly.
You are not the normal buyer of a vehicle I would assert. You pay attention to details that most others do not. Your mom is more the norm but I sure would be angry and likely fight that if I found out my NEW car had been wrecked prior to purchase and fight that asking for a new one or some kind of recompense. My wife may have had something similar with a GMC Jimmy she bought but we could only infer that with the electrical system issues she had and a tranny issue that appeared to be somewhat common. I always loved how GM replaced one relatively inexpensive metal part with a plastic one in their transmission destroying the integrity of what had previously been a decent tranny and causing a complete transmission breakdown around 60K miles in a LOT of them... There had been a flood in the area where her Jimmy had been built right around the time of manufacture. In researching, it may have very likely affected storage lots for cars being delivered... And so, the electrical issues. That was the best I could figure...

JimKIII

Reaction score
Picked mine up from MD and it had 7 miles on it.

cbrenthus

Reaction score
You are not the normal buyer of a vehicle I would assert. You pay attention to details that most others do not. Your mom is more the norm but I sure would be angry and likely fight that if I found out my NEW car had been wrecked prior to purchase and fight that asking for a new one or some kind of recompense. My wife may have had something similar with a GMC Jimmy she bought but we could only infer that with the electrical system issues she had and a tranny issue that appeared to be somewhat common. I always loved how GM replaced one relatively inexpensive metal part with a plastic one in their transmission destroying the integrity of what had previously been a decent tranny and causing a complete transmission breakdown around 60K miles in a LOT of them... There had been a flood in the area where her Jimmy had been built right around the time of manufacture. In researching, it may have very likely affected storage lots for cars being delivered... And so, the electrical issues. That was the best I could figure...
I've heard that in FL a dealer can repair up to a certain dollar amount of damage and not have to report it to the buyer of a new car. So she would not have had much recourse, plus she waited several years to get it repaired. I was furious though for her.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Mine was 17. Sales rep promised me no one would be allowed to test drive it (it got to the shop about a week before I was back in town to pick it up). The day I go to pick it up, I’m in the sales rep’s office, we come out to the floor, and there’s a guy in the driver’s seat practically drooling….sales guy says - hey, that’s sold (but there’s no sold sign on the truck). Guy was embarrassed but didn’t need to be - honest mistake. At least he didn’t test drive it!

hunterjoe

Reaction score
I have a pretty good feeling my dealer isn't going to be driving or letting anyone test drive my truck. They had a couple sold units on the lot and I asked if I could at least go sit in them to check things out and they said no. Which I appreciate. That said, when I bought my 1500, it had about 500 miles on it. Guess one of the sales managers was driving it. In hindsight I wouldn't have bought this truck. Not that there's any issues with it, but who knows how they drove it.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
All of my new purchases were less than 20 miles.
2 were ordered and had less than 10 miles.

Ordered a 1985 Pontiac Fiero GT. When it came in, my saleslady made them take it off the trailer and park it in the back. Wouldn't let anyone touch it. As we walked back to look at it, there was a young couple looking at it. I told them don't worry. its already sold, I'm driving it off the lot tonight. They just looked at me like yea, right.
Should have seen the looks on their faces when I dove by them a while latter on my way out of the lot.

techman

Reaction score
I think 10 miles or less is reasonable., unless the gas station is further than that for the dealer. Higher miles makes me think...hmmm.

Basser53

Reaction score
My 21 hd 17, my 22 had 16.. two different dealers..I was told they are test drivin before they ever reach the dealer.. I'd rather them make sure it's good to go before I pick it up.

AFF

Reaction score
When I bought my '09 1500 it had 4kms(2.5miles). My 2500 had 20kms(12miles) but it sat on the lot for 5 months. A family member of mine that worked for Chrysler in Brampton, Ont told me a car/truck should have no more than 5kms(3miles) on it when it's sitting on the lot for sale after PDI normally. Now they have ship mode so I don't think those miles are counted.

G’Dave

Reaction score
I picked mine up from MD on 5/14. 15 miles on the clock. I can’t complain, because they filled my 50 gallon tank!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread