Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delivered with defective engine... Bummer...

Trenchgun

Reaction score
I ordered my new beautiful Olive Ram 2021 3500 Mega Cab Laramie on 10-21-20. The new Truck came in on 1-06-21. Dealer had to get the paint and interior coating done plus install the mudflaps I wanted before I picked it up. Went to the dealership on 1-21 to sign everything. The salesman said that there was a problem with my new truck and took me back to the service manager who explained that while the mechanic was servicing the truck he had heard a noise in the engine and wanted some time to check it out. i stopped in a couple of days later and they had the valve covers off and the oil pan off and were working with Chrysler on the issue... A few days later I was told that the entire Cummins HO engine needed to be replaced?? I couldn't believe it! The truck had 17 miles on it and the engine was junk?? I knew that replacing the engine meant the cab would have to be removed as well as a whole bunch of other disassembly and reassembly needed. All I could picture in my head for my future were leaks and squeaks... I ended up telling them that I didn't want the truck because it had major problems!!! Ended up ordering 2nd new truck earlier this month. No apologizes from Cimmins or Chrysler or offers to get it on a priority build list or even a discount... I still cant believe that the engine problem wasn't detected by cummins or at least detected at the Ram plant... with as much money as we spend for these trucks you would think they would take a little extra care when building them...

HarleyD1

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Good thing is the mechanic was doing his job and you didnt take delivery of the truck and then had to deal with the issues.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Wow... got lucky, sort of.

I hope you get a good truck on your 2nd try.

It's also sad to know that first truck will eventually be rebuild and put back in the lot for sale. I don't know if they will sell it what a rebate or as brand new? But if I have to take a guess... :mad:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wow... got lucky, sort of.

I hope you get a good truck on your 2nd try.

It's also sad to know that first truck will eventually be rebuild and put back in the lot for sale. I don't know if they will sell it what a rebate or as brand new? But if I have to take a guess... :mad:
Whats sad about it? If its got a new engine it is just as good as coming off the line

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For the same reason I don't think I will do the AC TSB... I don't want some 3rd grade mecano rebuild half the truck. I can only see problems coming out of it.
Your right im sure some minimum wage untrained line worker can do better than a trained mechanic... the likely hood of issues is minimal your more likely to get the corona virus lol

MikeXM

Reaction score
Your right im sure some minimum wage untrained line worker can do better than a trained mechanic... the likely hood of issues is minimal your more likely to get the corona virus lol
Line workers don't have to know much... they are just assembling a big Lego kit and doing the same parts over and over.

I don't know... maybe it is just me... I don't trust those mechanic... especially since that day where they forgot to reconnect the front brake lines on my car.... yep that happened. I was very lucky I had like 300 feet to make a stop and no other cars were crossing the intersection when I went through.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Line workers don't have to know much... they are just assembling a big Lego kit and doing the same parts over and over.

I don't know... maybe it is just me... I don't trust those guys... especially since that day where they forgot to reconnect the front brake lines on my car.... yep that happened. I was very lucky I had like 300 feet to make a stop and no other car were crossing the intersection.
Cant group us all together because of a few bad ones...

i don't know how they could not notice they forgot to connect the brake lines when they go to take it out of the shop they should have clued in...

MikeXM

Reaction score
Cant group us all together because of a few bad ones...

i don't know how they could not notice they forgot to connect the brake lines when they go to take it out of the shop they should have clued in...
No idea either.
Oh I'm not saying every mechanic is bad... Not at all. But you never know whos going to work on your truck when you bring it to the stealership.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Robots are building those trucks at the factory. not line workers.

They handle preset torque guns in their flip-flops and sleeveless Ts while a skeleton rolls by with all the hard stuff robot placed and computer aligned.

A tad easier to do a good job putting a Cummins in a Ram when there is nothing but a frame section to work around and all your tools are preset to one-button torque everything.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I’d like to watch the assembly of one. I’ve been around and under my truck and disassembled the entire front end already and every important fastener has a blue pen marking on it, some places “ok” has been written

humans are definitely checking things, but I don’t know how much they’re assembling.

E32D1883-3B77-4A09-A52F-7056E78E70D5.jpeg

Will_T

Reaction score
I was looking at someone's new 2020 Ram a couple of months ago and saw those blue pen marks. Not just underneath but very thin ones on the tailgate, lights, etc. Wondered what they were. He had been rubbing them off easily with a finger when one jumped out at him, but they had been holding up though washing the truck. I guess it is quality control at the factory.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was looking at someone's new 2020 Ram a couple of months ago and saw those blue pen marks. Not just underneath but very thin ones on the tailgate, lights, etc. Wondered what they were. He had been rubbing them off easily with a finger when one jumped out at him, but they had been holding up though washing the truck. I guess it is quality control at the factory.
My neighbor still has his on his 19 because he only sprays it with the pressure washer so the marks don't get cleaned off lol

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
My neighbor still has his on his 19 because he only sprays it with the pressure washer so the marks don't get cleaned off lol
That, or it is because you ordered a bunch of this inspection paint and are driving him crazy...

Q101.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread