Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delete discussions

Banshi1981

Reaction score
There would be far less demand for deletes if these manufacturers could get the emissions systems to be more reliable. I’m seeing far too many new trucks with premature DPF and DEF related failures. That leaves a sour taste in buyers’ mouths. The issue is compounded by dealerships who, when faced with these trucks, can not reliably diagnose or rectify said issues. There’s been a recent uptick in 2022-2023 trucks experiencing P2459 regeneration frequency codes. 70% of the trucks I’ve collected data for on the regen frequency tracking sheet are 2022’s. When you buy a brand new $100k pickup and are forced to make payments on it while it sits at the dealership for weeks trying to figure out why it’s regenerating every 100 miles or less, that leaves the owners in a poor position. Many of whom rely on the truck for a living. Deleting becomes ever more enticing every minute the truck sits idle simply because it is a guaranteed way to make the reliability of the truck increase exponentially.

Reliability of the systems themselves and the capability of the dealer-level support are critical factors in the equation.
It would also help if their was an actual legitimate reason for these pieces of equipment...other than adding to the profits of big auto (you have no choice you must by the parts) and government( Every extra gallon of diesel you buy is money in the coffers for them). But lets not get into solving the problem at it's root , that is a debate for another place. ;)

WXman

Reaction score
My system has zero issues. Works 100% reliably at all times. My disgust with it comes in fuel economy. I can drive my truck for a few days and put a few hundred miles on it and the MPG display on the dash will show very nice numbers. Maybe I'm seeing 18 to 19 MPG. But as soon as the truck goes into regen mode the fuel economy starts dropping like a rock. I can watch the meter fall as I'm driving. My average MPG will decrease as much as 1.5 by the time regen shuts off. The reason the long term MPG is so low on these modern diesels is because the regen events ruin it. Occasionally the timing works out to where I get hit with two regen events over the course of the same tank of fuel. Those numbers come out really bad...down into the low teens. It's ridiculous.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My system has zero issues. Works 100% reliably at all times. My disgust with it comes in fuel economy. I can drive my truck for a few days and put a few hundred miles on it and the MPG display on the dash will show very nice numbers. Maybe I'm seeing 18 to 19 MPG. But as soon as the truck goes into regen mode the fuel economy starts dropping like a rock. I can watch the meter fall as I'm driving. My average MPG will decrease as much as 1.5 by the time regen shuts off. The reason the long term MPG is so low on these modern diesels is because the regen events ruin it. Occasionally the timing works out to where I get hit with two regen events over the course of the same tank of fuel. Those numbers come out really bad...down into the low teens. It's ridiculous.
There’s unfortunately no way around the momentary fuel economy dive. The truck is pumping fuel into the exhaust stream to accomplish the task of increasing DPF temperatures for regeneration. When that happens, fuel is being consumed for a task other than propelling the truck forward. If everything is working properly and you’re using the truck adequately, you should be able to go 900-1000 miles (or 24 engine hours) between regeneration cycles. One 20 minute regenerations cycle in 24 engine hours wouldn’t have that significant an impact on overall fuel economy. Its when the truck is repeatedly regenerating that it drags your overall fuel economy down.

Firebird

Reaction score
There’s unfortunately no way around the momentary fuel economy dive. The truck is pumping fuel into the exhaust stream to accomplish the task of increasing DPF temperatures for regeneration. When that happens, fuel is being consumed for a task other than propelling the truck forward. If everything is working properly and you’re using the truck adequately, you should be able to go 900-1000 miles (or 24 engine hours) between regeneration cycles. One 20 minute regenerations cycle in 24 engine hours wouldn’t have that significant an impact on overall fuel economy. Its when the truck is repeatedly regenerating that it drags your overall fuel economy down.
Sadly, my 3500 couldn't make 100 miles between regens, and dealer was clueless as to how to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread