Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delayed horn?

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
(I searched for “horn delay” and “delayed horn” and didn’t find any other threads with this question. If one exists - my apologies!)

Hi - maybe it’s just me - but it seems whenever I press the horn on the steering wheel it takes a half second or more for the horn to actually sound. I noticed it early on but it really mattered when some poorly trained driver nearly entered my lane this weekend while I was towing. I needed to warn him and pressed the horn - it sounded eventually with enough time to avert disaster but I’m not sure why it wouldn’t sound the instant you touch it? Anyone else?? Thanks!

jetrinka

Reaction score
I noticed the same the first few times I used it but now it seems responsive. Dunno why.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
I noticed the same the first few times I used it but now it seems responsive. Dunno why.
Thanks. I guess I’ll keep an eye on it then…can’t find a Uconnect setting for it or a reason why but would even be a configurable item…

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
(I searched for “horn delay” and “delayed horn” and didn’t find any other threads with this question. If one exists - my apologies!)

Hi - maybe it’s just me - but it seems whenever I press the horn on the steering wheel it takes a half second or more for the horn to actually sound. I noticed it early on but it really mattered when some poorly trained driver nearly entered my lane this weekend while I was towing. I needed to warn him and pressed the horn - it sounded eventually with enough time to avert disaster but I’m not sure why it wouldn’t sound the instant you touch it? Anyone else?? Thanks!
This is normal since the 2010 model year. The horn is run through canbus c, and it’s a low priority message depending on what else is going on on the bus. You’ll also notice you can’t give it a quick short half blast.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
This is normal since the 2010 model year. The horn is run through canbus c, and it’s a low priority message depending on what else is going on on the bus. You’ll also notice you can’t give it a quick short half blast.
Thanks. That’s interesting if a bit odd…

I feel like if I need to sound the horn, especially to warn an inattentive driver they’re heading into my lane, it’s my highest priority.

I’m not a Luddite but sometimes I wonder if I should be searching for a robust 1970s vintage tow vehicle… :cool:

While I’m new to the forum, I am aware that you really know your stuff so thanks for the pointer. I’m googling to learn more as we speak. Thanks again!

2500Ram

Reaction score
My 2018 did this too. I always thought it was so strange. If you want a little gentle honk to get the person to move you'll end up making them mess their pants. Its all or nothing.

2500Ram

Reaction score
I’m wondering whether anyone has disconnected the horn from the canbus and got it to work directly, the way God intended?
If you are considering all that there may actually be something defective in your horn. With mine the delay was as long as it took to make the horn button section of the wheel make contact with the steering wheel frame. Once that gap closed or slightly before then the horn would work - it was never anything that made me think the horn is rendered ineffective or dangerous.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
If you are considering all that there may actually be something defective in your horn. With mine the delay was as long as it took to make the horn button section of the wheel make contact with the steering wheel frame. Once that gap closed or slightly before then the horn would work - it was never anything that made me think the horn is rendered ineffective or dangerous.
I don’t think it’s something defective, well, except maybe the design of it…after Jimmy07’s post, I now know what to Google and this horn delay/canbus issue is very common!! Did the horn really need this level of computerized automation?

To steal my wife’s phrase - just because you can doesn’t mean you should…

IDK_Ram

Reaction score
needed that horn yesterday ... I doubt many of us jumped in our new unfamiliar trucks and tested the horn. I didn't.

Yesterday I needed it.
My only comment after the hair-raising moment was: "So where the (bleep) is the horn in this thing?"

I think my hand first hit the centered ram logo (nothing happened) but eventually sounded when jamming into the entire wheel with both hands.
lol, the simplest things... I'm going to have to go learn how to honk at these unconscious East coast drivers.

scdo

Reaction score
Did they change this for 2023? I don’t really notice any delay and I’m able to do a quick double chirp hello.

g00fy

Reaction score
The horn on my 19 sucks just as bad as the horn on my 15. Had to use it the other day while towing a big diesel chipper down some back roads and some idiot driving a big shiny new Lexus SUV came around a blind corner half in my lane... Slammed on the horn but it seemed like we were past each other by the time it actually made a sound.

Users who are viewing this thread