Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF filling at pump?

chickenbaloo

Reaction score
Just had my first DEF issue and had to chime in... I have a 2019 2500 Mega Cab. Spent the past two weeks towing a trailer and driving around AZ and UT to take the kids to Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce and Zion. We stopped to fill up at Maverick's in Salina, UT. I had about a 1/4 tank of DEF left and filled up from the DEF pump. About a hundred miles later, I got a DEF error message and the truck would be going into 'limp' mode in 150 miles (5 mph max until it was serviced by a dealer)!!! I was in the middle of nowhere in UT over a weekend and was stressing out! We ended up getting a 5 gallon bucket and a siphon to drain the DEF tank as I was convinced I got some bad DEF. I could not drain from the filler spout, I think there was a screen. So, we disconnected the filler line at the tank which was super easy and drained directly from the tank. It filled almost the entire 5 gallon bucket. I checked the gauge and it was down to the last 1/8th of a tank. We replaced it with a brand new 2.5 gallon sealed container of DEF and within 15 miles, the error code went away! After discussing it with my buddy and resident mechanic, he informed me that the stability of DEF is very temperamental (heat, cold, time, etc.) and the big rig trucks are more forgiving than the pickup truck systems. I will not be using a pump to fill DEF again, too much headache can be avoided with just buying the box!!

Nick

Reaction score
I have a ‘19 RAM2500 with Cummins diesel.
I have been having problems filling the DEF tank at gas station pumps. At least one time the tank filled properly. Other times the pump keeps clicking off and I never seem to be able to get the tank full. Today I noticed on the filler cap an icon of a fuel tank with a circle and slash through it (see photo). Are the new rams not supposed to be filled from pumps at gas stations?
d809eede5284a36354fe45cf637a9342.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick

Reaction score
Some pumps require a magnet that slides over the nozzle for the pump to function properly . I bought one on line years ago . I rarely use it anymore .

Nick

Reaction score
I must be lucky , I have never had a DEF problem at the pumps . Been using them when traveling since 14 .

Xflight29

Reaction score
I only by my DEF from the dealer. Yes more expensive but if for what ever reason something goes squirrely with my DEF I have it on record that I purchased from the dealer.

Millmutt

Reaction score
I don’t know if the DEF system is able to analyze quality like water in fuel system. Maybe the op just encountered a sensor malfunction and draining and refilling rest the system. Someone with knowledge may chime in.

jkempken

Reaction score
The there is a quality sensor in there to make sure it is the right concentration, otherwise people could just put water in and defeat the whole purpose of it.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I only by my DEF from the dealer. Yes more expensive but if for what ever reason something goes squirrely with my DEF I have it on record that I purchased from the dealer.
So do you carry DEF with you on trips? Or only drive truck locally?

Xflight29

Reaction score
I always bring 2 1/2 gallons with me in a DEF travel container I purchased on Amazon but after that I try and find a dealer within. expensive for sure .

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I always bring 2 1/2 gallons with me in a DEF travel container I purchased on Amazon but after that I try and find a dealer within. expensive for sure .
I also carry a 2.5 gallon jug with me when on trips. And I usually start out full.

Users who are viewing this thread