Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF filling at pump?

Blkflg

Reaction score
I have a ‘19 RAM2500 with Cummins diesel.
I have been having problems filling the DEF tank at gas station pumps. At least one time the tank filled properly. Other times the pump keeps clicking off and I never seem to be able to get the tank full. Today I noticed on the filler cap an icon of a fuel tank with a circle and slash through it (see photo). Are the new rams not supposed to be filled from pumps at gas stations?
d809eede5284a36354fe45cf637a9342.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You should avoid over filling it anyway. many have had codes thrown and issues putting in too much blue goo.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I've also had issues with some DEF pump. But no more than I've had issues with the diesel pumps. Of course I fill more frequently with the fuel so I get more practice. But the DEF pumps seem to be more finicky.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Catch 22 for me.

DEF pump more likely to be fresh and turned over.

Also more likely to have grime in the tank and all over the nozzle from over-use and scouring.

Think I'll stick to plastic jugs. The DEF systems on these trucks seem to be the most finickey of all and that's saying a lot. I've never had a vehicle that had so many recommendations of what to do and not to do "or else!". :rolleyes:

Reaction score
On the big truck DEF tanks, there is a magnet on the inside of the filler neck that makes a "connection" with the nozzle. This stops cross-tank contamination. If you pointed the DEF nozzle at someone and pulled the trigger, it SHOULDN'T dispense. I fuel everynight at one of our company HUBS and you'll hear a constant symphony of "click click click" coming from the DEF tank area. I yell over, " put the nozzle in and count off 5 Mississippi's then squeeze". Success.

I'll be standing by for informed, uninformed and they think they know rebuttals.

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
Friend with a 2019 had a problem with the DEF filler neck pushed down somehow. Don't remember exactly but it was a pricey part to have replaced ( few hundred, but gotta love warranty). He was also fueling everyday and taking on Def every other day.

Jeff2093

Reaction score
I had a 2012, 2500 without the Def system. Around 50K miles the exhaust system failed relating to pollution control. Dealer had to replace entire exhaust system after multiple check engine lights.
Traded in for a 2015, 3500 dually with Def system. Around 20K def system failed “Because your not using Dodge brand def.” (bull sh-t). Parts replaced under warranty. At 45K def pump failed and replacement parts were “not available”, unknown part arrival repair date! Interestingly, truck had twice the power, was fun to drive, like a jet fighter but went into cripple mode. I used truck for business. Totally unreliable. Traded/Bought a 2019, 1500 5.7 Hemi. No issues, so far, ...
I saw a new 2500, Diesel at the dealer today. Damn thing was perfectly beautiful. I was seriously going to buy it. Opened fuel door and saw def fill valve. Walked away. Ram has reoccurring issues with Def and exhaust systems being compliant with federal mandates. Expect things to get worse now after this election.
Unless something really changes with their Diesel engines and pollution devices they can keep-em. Big, big reoccurring repair bills. They are just not worth it on both ends of the deals! Clearly, I’m not saying other trucks are better, I drive a ram. Clearly saying, until they fix the issues with their current system I am not buying another Diesel. Ram realizes this and as a fix have extended Def warranty’s on new trucks. That’s ok, unless like me could not get parts at their dealers or have an older truck.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I had a 2012, 2500 without the Def system. Around 50K miles the exhaust system failed relating to pollution control. Dealer had to replace entire exhaust system after multiple check engine lights.
Traded in for a 2015, 3500 dually with Def system. Around 20K def system failed “Because your not using Dodge brand def.” (bull sh-t). Parts replaced under warranty. At 45K def pump failed and replacement parts were “not available”, unknown part arrival repair date! Interestingly, truck had twice the power, was fun to drive, like a jet fighter but went into cripple mode. I used truck for business. Totally unreliable. Traded/Bought a 2019, 1500 5.7 Hemi. No issues, so far, ...
I saw a new 2500, Diesel at the dealer today. Damn thing was perfectly beautiful. I was seriously going to buy it. Opened fuel door and saw def fill valve. Walked away. Ram has reoccurring issues with Def and exhaust systems being compliant with federal mandates. Expect things to get worse now after this election.
Unless something really changes with their Diesel engines and pollution devices they can keep-em. Big, big reoccurring repair bills. They are just not worth it on both ends of the deals! Clearly, I’m not saying other trucks are better, I drive a ram. Clearly saying, until they fix the issues with their current system I am not buying another Diesel. Ram realizes this and as a fix have extended Def warranty’s on new trucks. That’s ok, unless like me could not get parts at their dealers or have an older truck.
I had a 2016 2500 with DEF sold it to friend with 90000 miles on it never had any issues with DEF. Have a 2020 3500 for just at a year now and have had no issues with DEF at all. I use nothing but dealer DEF fluid.

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
Haven't had an issue with mine, and I fill up at truck stops all the time being over the road a lot. Now the DEF pumps at the truck stops are fast, so I barely squeeze the trigger and regulate the flow rate that way. if I leave it at the first click, it's an 8th short. I wait 20-30 seconds and keep filling it. I do this until it's physically full to the top of the neck. I have yet to have a def code or any issues at all. the gauge on the dash doesn't go to or past full until a good 30 minutes after I'm already rolling down the road. I mainly use pump DEF because it's cheaper, and fresher than jugs. Truck stops go through it a lot more. 56K miles since July and no issues whatsoever. 19 2500 4x4

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
they have made many changed and fixed the emission systems issues... remember 2015 was only the 3rd year cummins had the def system so bugs were still being worked out, all the brands had def/dpf issues then. The new ones are great and almost never hear of an issue one of the benefits of making them run higher fuel pressures for cleaner combustion

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Well, that was not my experience with my 2013 RAM 2500. I did have some warranty issues early on that requires 4 trips to the dealer. It was resolved. And then I proceeded to put 125k miles on that truck.

truck569

Reaction score
I drive this, and fuel a LOT lol
Go to any good big truck dealer with a code for "def quality" faults, and they'll tell you to get jugs and fill it from that until the fault goes away
I have factory software, as me and my guys run DD16's, I've seen it more than once on the screen.
Without fail, jugs have cured it.
Granted it is not extremely common, but saying truckstops have better def is not true as a blanket statement.
The nozzles are hit and miss for me too. Some no issues, some junk. I have a 23 gallon def tank
side.jpg

Phil T

Reaction score
Truck refill places is where I see them. Do diesel cars use DEF? .
Yes, diesel cars use def. I had one of the recalled VW Jetta diesels. Took the buyback when they got caught cheating on the emissions. It was a fantastic car. If it weren't for living in Kalifornia and not wanting the state to be giving the car a rectal exam every yer, I would have kept it.

Users who are viewing this thread