Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership fuel filter replacement quote

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I only have the dealer change my oil, so whatever they have is what I have. The reason is, the cost is minimal, so I just have them do it, rather than buying my own and waisting half a day doing it myself.
i realize this is an older thread but since it got resurrected.....a half a day to change your oil? takes like 20 minutes....

Riddick

Reaction score
i realize this is an older thread but since it got resurrected.....a half a day to change your oil? takes like 20 minutes....

The actual process, yes you are correct.

However, there are many other factors you have to account for. A few are tracking down the oil and filter you need, if you live in BFE you could spend an hour or more driving to the closest town hoping they have what you need. Additionally, you have to account for getting the few tools required, putting everything away when done, cleaning up the mess you possibly made, and properly disposing of the used oil.

I will say dealership prices are outrageous for any type of maintenance. However, we all work hard for our money and can spend it however we please.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
In my experience when you truly are out in the middle of BFE, that's when it makes the most sense to do as much work yourself as you can. If it's a hardship to get to a town that has oil and a filter, it's probably an even larger hardship, and expense, to get your truck to a town that has a dealership.

I feel like when I do my own maintenance, that's when I make more money than I ever make at any other time. If I change oil and filters and save $200-300, that's pretty damn good pay for an hour's work, and that's if I doddle. It does help when you're already set up for maintenance, handling waste oil, etc. Plus I always have oil and filters on the shelf. Fail to plan, plan to fail. I've literally serviced past trucks in 10-15 minutes. My current Ram takes a bit longer though.

But as stated, we all make our own decisions about how to spend our money. To each their own.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Oh, in that case I’ll put a timer on it and when 20 minutes dings away, I’ll just stop the dripping by putting the plug back in the pan and drive away with the used oil still sitting in the driveway in a pan, that took at least a few minutes away from the 20 minutes you say it can be done in. I’ll wonder why the dealer refused warranty because the motor froze up because I didn’t have any time left on the 20 minute timer to put oil back in. When I get home, the wife will be asking why I didn’t clean up the oil and remove the pan that she stepped in, because it should have been done. I can hear it now, when I claim I only had 20 minutes to change the oil, so just watch out for any oil pans in the driveway, oh by the way I need $20K dollars to replace the motor.
I’ve never been able to spend less than an hour on any 4 cylinder to change oil on. Now if I had a shop in my garage with an empty 30 gallon barrel with a proper shop telescopic funnel in the pit I can drive over, maybe a half hour to change a 4 cylinder auto.
When I do a lot of my own work, I do take my time and do it right, or so I believe anyway, making sure the job is cleaned up, done correct and tested. I would spend 1 hour minimum just cleaning up taking the dumped oil to a recycling place.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Oh, in that case I’ll put a timer on it and when 20 minutes dings away, I’ll just stop the dripping by putting the plug back in the pan and drive away with the used oil still sitting in the driveway in a pan, that took at least a few minutes away from the 20 minutes you say it can be done in. I’ll wonder why the dealer refused warranty because the motor froze up because I didn’t have any time left on the 20 minute timer to put oil back in. When I get home, the wife will be asking why I didn’t clean up the oil and remove the pan that she stepped in, because it should have been done. I can hear it now, when I claim I only had 20 minutes to change the oil, so just watch out for any oil pans in the driveway, oh by the way I need $20K dollars to replace the motor.
I’ve never been able to spend less than an hour on any 4 cylinder to change oil on. Now if I had a shop in my garage with an empty 30 gallon barrel with a proper shop telescopic funnel in the pit I can drive over, maybe a half hour to change a 4 cylinder auto.
When I do a lot of my own work, I do take my time and do it right, or so I believe anyway, making sure the job is cleaned up, done correct and tested. I would spend 1 hour minimum just cleaning up taking the dumped oil to a recycling place.
After reading that reply I now understand why it takes a half a day....

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
The actual process, yes you are correct.

However, there are many other factors you have to account for. A few are tracking down the oil and filter you need, if you live in BFE you could spend an hour or more driving to the closest town hoping they have what you need. Additionally, you have to account for getting the few tools required, putting everything away when done, cleaning up the mess you possibly made, and properly disposing of the used oil.

I will say dealership prices are outrageous for any type of maintenance. However, we all work hard for our money and can spend it however we please.
I point and click on the computer for the oil and filter I want....it magically shows up on my porch....as for the mess....you really have to try to make a mess...put your used oil in a 5 gallon bucket and the next time you get on the Oregon trail to make the hazardous trek to town dispose of it then...no need to severely over complicate an otherwise quick and easy task....

Blythkd1

Reaction score
After reading that reply I now understand why it takes a half a day....
Yeah no kidding. Sensing a bit of drama there. People like that should go pay the dealer $500 to change their oil......in 20 minutes because that's about all the time they're gonna spend on it. Maybe a tad longer with the fuel filters.

CFE

Reaction score
Just another data point, I had the dealer do mine during my first oil change. Don't have the receipt, but the total for all of the work was around $630. I won't be doing that again. Will do it myself as long as I can get the filters.
Exactly same for me. Hard lesson to learned as a 1st time Cummins owner.

tchur1

Reaction score
Fortunately you all saved me from spending the $600+ to get it done at the dealer.

I watched a couple YouTube videos and did both fuel filters and changed the oil in about 2 hours in my driveway. And I was really taking my time, double checking everything since I had never done it before.

I wont take the truck to the dealer unless I absolutely have to at this point.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Now the fuel filter change I perform myself. I will not pay $600 for fuel filters change at the dealer. The oil change is $139 at dealer, so it easier to just pay that.

Nick

Reaction score
I made the tool as described by a member for the rear fuel filter . It worked great ! Would recommend anyone that does their own filter changes to make one . The screw cap for the oil filter makes extraction and installing a new one much less messy if changing the filter from below .

Riddick

Reaction score
I point and click on the computer for the oil and filter I want....it magically shows up on my porch....as for the mess....you really have to try to make a mess...put your used oil in a 5 gallon bucket and the next time you get on the Oregon trail to make the hazardous trek to town dispose of it then...no need to severely over complicate an otherwise quick and easy task....

I just knew you would respond :). That is the way you perform oil changes and the way I do them as well. However, not everyone follows this method. 100 ways to skin a cat and some take longer than 20 minutes...........half day would be a stretch but to each their own. You do realize I'm playing devils advocate here.............

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I made the tool as described by a member for the rear fuel filter . It worked great ! Would recommend anyone that does their own filter changes to make one . The screw cap for the oil filter makes extraction and installing a new one much less messy if changing the filter from below .
I made a special pan that catches the fuel above the driveshaft, that took 20 minutes ;), and funnels it to a drain pan. I perfected it over a gravel road, and now I can change them in my drive way without making a mess, so the wife doesn’t have to worry about stepping in it.:cool:

dogbreath650

Reaction score
Don't know if I need it but I keep a log with receipts for this stuff. If I ever have a warranty claim I can prove the required maintenance was done.

CFE

Reaction score
I made a special pan that catches the fuel above the driveshaft, that took 20 minutes ;), and funnels it to a drain pan. I perfected it over a gravel road, and now I can change them in my drive way without making a mess, so the wife doesn’t have to worry about stepping in it.:cool:
pictures!

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I have every receipt of fuel over 37K miles and recorded fuel filter changes in the same log. The dealer has the oil change info.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
When I get it soldered, for sealing the sheet metal, I’ll post pics.

russ2588

Reaction score
Just took my 22 in for an oil change at the dealership and had them change fuel filters! oil change was free the fuel filters were $421 ! I’m going to do it myself in the future.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Just took my 22 in for an oil change at the dealership and had them change fuel filters! oil change was free the fuel filters were $421 ! I’m going to do it myself in the future.

How many hours did they bill your for?

That’s enough to buy 4 sets of filters.

Users who are viewing this thread