Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership fuel filter replacement quote

Hwg29

Reaction score
I have a 2020 2500 6.7 I dropped off at the dealer to get some recalls fixed and the 30k mile service. I got a call from them today asking if I wanted the fuel filters replaced, they quoted me $626.95 to replace both of them. I have always done it myself- costs usually $100 for both filters and 20-30 minutes to install. Has anyone else got an outrageously high quote from a dealer for this?

maxx442

Reaction score

Southernspeed

Reaction score
Mine wanted $430. I bought the filters from Geno's for around $150 and did it myself in about 45 mins max (having never done it before) I don't know where these dealers get off charging these crazy prices.

Bluecoral

Reaction score
My dealer wanted $590 so I only purchased the filters from them for $197. The price is absolutely ridiculous for two filters. I watched a couple online videos and changed them myself. It's not difficult though a bit messy.

Nick

Reaction score
I bought OEM filters from Diesel Filters online 866-574-1119.
Both fuel filters $119 plus 12 bucks shipping . no tax

darrellr

Reaction score
Just another data point, I had the dealer do mine during my first oil change. Don't have the receipt, but the total for all of the work was around $630. I won't be doing that again. Will do it myself as long as I can get the filters.

Reactions: CFE

Sponge60

Reaction score
I believe I paid about 400 in addition to the oil change. Service manager said Dodge has it as a 2 hour labor job. Lesson learned.

Southernspeed

Reaction score
Just another data point, I had the dealer do mine during my first oil change. Don't have the receipt, but the total for all of the work was around $630. I won't be doing that again. Will do it myself as long as I can get the filters.
I used Geno's for the filters. $150-ish and less than an hour's work ( easy to do to )

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Was quoted @ $200.00 for just the filters, I didn't even bother with labor. I was also quoted $31.00 a quote for Aisin trans fluid. :mad:

RONKO73

Reaction score
Before I got my Ram 2500 I called a local Ram dealership and they quoted me $400 for replacing the fuel filters. I also will be doing it myself.

thecastle

Reaction score
The problem is average people say they will do it themselves and just don’t. People on the forums are a bit different than a general ram owner as we’re enthusiasts, and care enough to read and write here. So there is a better chance people on here say they will diy it they actually will. The industry norm is 85% of vehicles owners perform no maintenance at all. Keep that in mind when shopping used . Especially on things like diff changes and trans fluid changes. I’ve seen people go 40k miles without even an oil change. They just don’t care and sell the car on to the next person, and complain when their tires are loosing their steel belts after 80k miles. Haha. I paid I believe $399 at the dealer for filter changes. My ford f450 is $189.00 at the dealer. I think ram dealers are using this as a profit center. btw, I paid $1300 for oil change, fuel filter change, front and rear diff, xfer case and transmission fluid change. Diesels are expensive to own and maintain.

dannonebr

Reaction score
The problem is average people say they will do it themselves and just don’t. People on the forums are a bit different than a general ram owner as we’re enthusiasts, and care enough to read and write here. So there is a better chance people on here say they will diy it they actually will. The industry norm is 85% of vehicles owners perform no maintenance at all. Keep that in mind when shopping used . Especially on things like diff changes and trans fluid changes. I’ve seen people go 40k miles without even an oil change. They just don’t care and sell the car on to the next person, and complain when their tires are loosing their steel belts after 80k miles. Haha. I paid I believe $399 at the dealer for filter changes. My ford f450 is $189.00 at the dealer. I think ram dealers are using this as a profit center. btw, I paid $1300 for oil change, fuel filter change, front and rear diff, xfer case and transmission fluid change. Diesels are expensive to own and maintain.
Diesels are expensive to own. On my 2020 2500 I'm thinking that I paid around $275 for my first oil and fuel filter change that I did my self. Now the cost for three gallons of Rotetlla T6 is $106 plus a Genos quick service kit is $210, total $316. You may be able to save some money at Jiffy Lube? Not me. The fact of the matter is that the dealers have a dedicated oil change guy, it's not the certified mechanics who work on the trucks. The oil change guys is usually the lowest paid grunt in the shop. I have a friend of mine who never changes fluids. He also patched a tire that had a nail right at the edge of the tread on the side wall, left front tire and he's totally OK with that because it's not flat anymore!? This is why I buy new vehicles or only from someone I know who has taken care of it.

flan

Reaction score
Diesels are expensive to own. On my 2020 2500 I'm thinking that I paid around $275 for my first oil and fuel filter change that I did my self. Now the cost for three gallons of Rotetlla T6 is $106 plus a Genos quick service kit is $210, total $316. You may be able to save some money at Jiffy Lube? Not me. The fact of the matter is that the dealers have a dedicated oil change guy, it's not the certified mechanics who work on the trucks. The oil change guys is usually the lowest paid grunt in the shop. I have a friend of mine who never changes fluids. He also patched a tire that had a nail right at the edge of the tread on the side wall, left front tire and he's totally OK with that because it's not flat anymore!? This is why I buy new vehicles or only from someone I know who has taken care of it.
I just bought 3 gallons of T6 at Home Depot for 79 bucks out the door FYI.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I only have the dealer change my oil, so whatever they have is what I have. The reason is, the cost is minimal, so I just have them do it, rather than buying my own and waisting half a day doing it myself.

gwarrior4u

Reaction score
I think I have the all time horror story, needed to have a warranty item done and the maintenance was due.. I told them while it's in the shop, lets change the oil, fuel filters, and rotate the tires. Bill came to a shade over $800. Noooo..dealer will not be doing that again.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Horror stories, I've got a good one, turned in company owned 2014 2500 for just an oil change in 2015. Got it back and I smelled electrical fire. Before I left dealer, I complained of the smell, and tech that performed the service said the battery test was OK and didn't understand why it smelled, said give it a few miles, smell should go away. Didn't even get around the corner, (dealer was on a corner), and smoke started rolling from under the dash. The Dealer never found the cause nor could they keep alternators in it. It got lemon lawed as the short story goes.

Tell3131

Reaction score
Learned my lesson on this one today too, I should have researched more and called dealers to find out. Took my 2022 Ram 2500 Cummins in for oil, fuel filters and tire rotation. All together it was $600 after a $60 coupon. I had a 2019 Ram 2500 Cummins and could have sworn it was $300 back in 2020. . but inflation I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread