Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer practices: fuel filter with oil change on Cummins?

JimKIII

Reaction score
Ha ha yep my wife thinks that my original 3 are the same... I cashed in my 401K knowing Biden was getting in and started a 401G for Guns.

Like my surf boards, all the same color scheme, are those the same boards, yep!

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Definitely a good investment.

jeffn

Reaction score
Took my 2021 in for service today and noticed while driving home that it said oil life was back to 100% but fuel filter life still said 22%, and when I checked the service paperwork it did not indicate the fuel filter had been changed even though these are near the same intervals as the oil & filter.

Are you guys getting the fuel filter changed by default at dealer oil changes? (Wondering if they just forgot this…)
Thank your dealer next time for saving you $. With the fuel filters selling for $120 a set the 20% remaining life is real money. I’d be pissed if they changed the filters 1) without asking, and 2) before they need replacement.

DIY is easy on all the filters on this truck. Even the cabin air takes just minutes to swap out.

Reaction score
I had a Powerstroke 6.4 Diesel before this Ram and that truck got the oil changed every 5000 miles and the fuel filters every 10,000. Since this Cummins has the same fuel pump I continue to change the fuel filters every 10,000 miles. (The Ford forums always preached about the HPFP needing super clean fuel to keep it from grenading.)

Sponge60

Reaction score
Had my first service at roughly 9,500 miles. Asked the dealer to change the fuel filters too. Bill was over $700 for complete service and tire rotation. I thought they were joking. The fuel filters were over $400 with labor. They charged 1.5 hours for that part of the job.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had a Powerstroke 6.4 Diesel before this Ram and that truck got the oil changed every 5000 miles and the fuel filters every 10,000. Since this Cummins has the same fuel pump I continue to change the fuel filters every 10,000 miles. (The Ford forums always preached about the HPFP needing super clean fuel to keep it from grenading.)
The filter has the same filtration at 10miles that it is at 15,000 miles changing it early wont make the fuel cleaner. The only reason i would change it early is if you were constantly filling with jerry cans where you are likely to get dirt that plugs up the filter….

Same thing with the oil changing it early is just throwing money out the window you are not actually getting any benefit at all….

Just some food for thought.

Reaction score
that makes sense. The filters don't look too dark or visibly dirty when i swap them out so I'm sure you're 100% right. I guess i think a dirty filter would restrict flow and make the pump work harder. (Full disclosure...I may be just trying to justify wasting money!)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
that makes sense. The filters don't look too dark or visibly dirty when i swap them out so I'm sure you're 100% right. I guess i think a dirty filter would restrict flow and make the pump work harder. (Full disclosure...I may be just trying to justify wasting money!)
Aslong as you are not doing them way over the service interval it really does not matter lol i know lots of people who just get that warm fuzzy feeling when they change the oil at 5k because thats how it was back in the day and thats all right too!

Reaction score
Aslong as you are not doing them way over the service interval it really does not matter lol i know lots of people who just get that warm fuzzy feeling when they change the oil at 5k because thats how it was back in the day and thats all right too!
hahah, i'm probably "that guy."

John Jensen

Reaction score
I usually do my own servicing but for the first oil change, I could not budge the oil filter. So I loaded up my oil, oil filter and fuel filter and headed for the dealer. My great Service Manager charged me $20.00 to do the oil and filter change plus inspections and said no need to change the fuel filter. Heck, for $20.00 (my supplies) I may have him do the next change as well.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
This truck is going to take some getting used to, that's for sure. Back when I was running a Wix spin-on filter on my FASS pump on the Dmax truck, I changed it more often than necessary because it was $18 and literally took 1-2 minutes to change.

Now with $120 in fuel filters (online) I guess I will get more of the goody out of them. I'll carry a new chassis filter with me and hope I never have to lay under the truck and change it like I've done in the past on my FASS.

I used to literally change the oil in my Dmax for less than $35 using T4 from the drum and a Wix or ACD filter. Just did my first change Sunday and it was $75 for just oil and filters. In all fairness, some of that is Covid tax.

Used to plan 10k OCI on the Dmax, sometimes running to 12-13k when I got back home again. Haven't decided on my Cummins OCI yet. I'll probably pull an oil sample to have tested this go round.

ETX Ram

Reaction score
Literally sounds like fraud. An abject moron can replace both in 15 minutes.
Guess I'm in that category since it took me 35 - 40 minutes for both filters first time around. I did think I was pretty slick putting a 1 gallon zip lock baggie around the rear filter housing after "draining" the housing with a hose on the outlet nipple.

When I first dated the one who would be my wife, she once said, "You only have 3 guns!!??"

My wife is worse than me.... Have a cabinet above the toilet for towels, hand towels and wash cloths. Opened it the other day to get a hand towel and found my 45 Long Colt Vaquero in the bottom of the cabinet. She said it is there for when I'm away at work and she is taking a shower...... This along with her 40 cal PX4 Storm in her night stand and mine beneath the pillow on my side of the bed when I'm away. Oh ya - at 60 years old she shot a 238 out of 250 for her CC live fire test. Don't mess with Texas? Recommend don't mess with my wife! LOL Between the two of us, she still holds the the record for the most varmints shot in one night....

Users who are viewing this thread