Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer practices: fuel filter with oil change on Cummins?

JimInHB

Reaction score
Took my 2021 in for service today and noticed while driving home that it said oil life was back to 100% but fuel filter life still said 22%, and when I checked the service paperwork it did not indicate the fuel filter had been changed even though these are near the same intervals as the oil & filter.

Are you guys getting the fuel filter changed by default at dealer oil changes? (Wondering if they just forgot this…)

kevin.rice.353

Reaction score
My first oil change was the same. Dealer says it’s so expensive they don’t do it automatically. I specify at each appointment now I wan both oil and fuel filters changed.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
yeah - at some dealerships it's in the $300-400 range so i could see why that didn't automatically do it.

I went the dealership route once on my 2016 for the fuel filters because it seemed like everyone was making a big deal about the rear one...i've changed them ever since

JimInHB

Reaction score
Dealer ended up offering a “discount” to $600 for doing the filters, $300 in parts and $300 as an ostensibly discounted labor rate. Is the Ram book rate to swap the filters really several hours of labor? This strikes me as outrageous.

Firebird

Reaction score
Dealer ended up offering a “discount” to $600 for doing the filters, $300 in parts and $300 as an ostensibly discounted labor rate. Is the Ram book rate to swap the filters really several hours of labor? This strikes me as outrageous.
Both filters combined take less than 30 minutes

JimInHB

Reaction score
My dealer is at $160 for an oil change.
Yeah I paid 460 for 3 oil changes including tire rotation, which given the pain of the 40s I was fine with. But the $600-700 for the fuel filter swap is outrageous, I’m tempted to call Ram about it.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Yeah I paid 460 for 3 oil changes including tire rotation, which given the pain of the 40s I was fine with. But the $600-700 for the fuel filter swap is outrageous, I’m tempted to call Ram about it.
I'd call! That's ridiculous. If you're in HB, I got a guy that will do it super cheap in San Clemente.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

JimInHB

Reaction score
I'd call! That's ridiculous. If you're in HB, I got a guy that will do it super cheap in San Clemente.

That’d be great, please do post or DM me - I was literally in San Clemente yesterday and next time I’ll happily pay someone else a reasonable rate to do it.

JimInHB

Reaction score
And I thought I was annoyed when our local dealer quoted $400.
Seriously. I would have thought $400 was crazy but if it was mostly parts at MSRP, fine. But they charged me two hours of labor and wanted to charge 3 hours of labor to do it. This seems like highway robbery to me…

Deltron

Reaction score
Seriously. I would have thought $400 was crazy but if it was mostly parts at MSRP, fine. But they charged me two hours of labor and wanted to charge 3 hours of labor to do it. This seems like highway robbery to me…
Literally sounds like fraud. An abject moron can replace both in 15 minutes.

Brewmark

Reaction score
Half Borrego Springs, Ca. Half McCall, Idaho
I recently took mine to Chapman in Scottsdale. I bought the 3 oil change & tire rotation through Mopar for $340 and told them I wanted fuel filter changed. They quoted me $400 for fuel filter. Two filters approximately $250. The invoice was for one hour labor, $150. Tax and fees added up to $440. Think I will do my own fuel filters in the future.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Here in the great white north they want to charge me 590$ for and oil change and fuel filter change. i do it myself it costs me 300$ for the filters and the oil with the oil on sale

waveslayer

Reaction score
Personally I never have the dealership do anything for me. They have too much overhead so charge too much.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Personally I never have the dealership do anything for me. They have too much overhead so charge too much.

When I first dated the one who would be my wife, she once said, "You only have 3 guns!!??"

waveslayer

Reaction score
When I first dated the one who would be my wife, she once said, "You only have 3 guns!!??"
Ha ha yep my wife thinks that my original 3 are the same... I cashed in my 401K knowing Biden was getting in and started a 401G for Guns.

Like my surf boards, all the same color scheme, are those the same boards, yep!

Users who are viewing this thread