Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead 2022 3500 Help, RAM says they've never seen this issue!

AZOILBURNER

Reaction score
We'll find out. Just got back in town, so headed to the dealer now. From the little detail I've received, the truck now has a new BCM, PDC, and starter, and maybe a new grid heater relay. Will be interesting to read through the MX notes.

jetrinka

Reaction score
We'll find out. Just got back in town, so headed to the dealer now. From the little detail I've received, the truck now has a new BCM, PDC, and starter, and maybe a new grid heater relay. Will be interesting to read through the MX notes.
Wow thats insane. Maybe the factory should stop paying dealers for bad diagnosis/parts replacements... Might improve things for everyone...

And yes post up what they said in the notes for sure!

AZOILBURNER

Reaction score
Wow thats insane. Maybe the factory should stop paying dealers for bad diagnosis/parts replacements... Might improve things for everyone...

And yes post up what they said in the notes for sure!
Agreed. I'd love to see some data on how much it costs the manufacturer in warranty costs to have shoddy MX departments just throw parts at things, and then how that cost correlates to effects on our bottom line.

Other than the starter, I'm still no closer to understanding the stall. All I can guess is that when one of the starter relays opens, or loses a signal voltage due to an issue at the starter, that causes some miscommunication with the various modules that signals the truck to shut down, or think that it should not be running. The STAR conversation notes are literally the tech receiving step by step trouble shooting instructions from an agent, over the course of this 39 day period. Check this pin, check this pin, etc. STAR Agent suggested a starter bench test (multiple times) early in the process, but for some reason that was not completed (even though the tech describes sparks at the starter) until late last week. The tech concluded the conversation with a comment along the lines of, "I don't believe the truck ever shut off, it just came down to it not starting...." I've got it running now, so screw it.

I'll scan the convo and upload when I get a chance, if anyone wants to go over it for more detail.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
The tech concluded the conversation with a comment along the lines of, "I don't believe the truck ever shut off, it just came down to it not starting...." I've got it running now, so screw it.

That statement really gives you confidence in their troubleshooting abilities. :rolleyes:

jetrinka

Reaction score
Wow. Glad you at least have the truck back - although their "diagnosis" and "repair" leaves some room for doubt...

Its kind of sad though because this is pretty much how the factory trains their techs. (at least in my area) They go to Toyota school, or Ram school, or whoever school and aren't really taught to develop or follow any mental diagnosis pathways they would develop on their own. They are basically taught to find the symptom in their system and then follow the appropriate diagnosis flow chart to come up with the answer. It leaves A LOT of development room for even a basic understanding on how the various systems on a car are put together and how they are supposed to work.

5Willy2

Reaction score
Im going thru a similar rodeo with my Ram 2022 2500, 26K miles- maintained better than scheduled maintenance schedules, 3 times on a coolant leak ( different cause every time I took it in??), Torque converter failure, now valve body part is on order-probably didnt look at the clutches for any damage, no exhaust brake x2 failure, check engine light, body damage while at dealership etc...

I haul horses and cant afford to have a break down in the sticks, bad enough for the occupants being stranded, but having living animals impacted on a break down has a whole new twist.
If the next go round doesnt fix any and all issues with the truck, I'm going to lemon law and consult a lawyer. The service writer opened a star case to sort this out, whatever that will do, I dont know.

I like everything about my truck except its dependability. Was going to buy an extended warranty prior to the issues, but now Im not going to waste money on a truck that might go back to FCA.
Allison is still not on the menu for the '23's, there have been rumors for years ....just rumors. The 68RFE has many weak points, just look on youtube and blogs.
Either way Im going to pay more for a replacement truck.

Cheers
Willy

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Im going thru a similar rodeo with my Ram 2022 2500, 26K miles- maintained better than scheduled maintenance schedules, 3 times on a coolant leak ( different cause every time I took it in??), Torque converter failure, now valve body part is on order-probably didnt look at the clutches for any damage, no exhaust brake x2 failure, check engine light, body damage while at dealership etc...

I haul horses and cant afford to have a break down in the sticks, bad enough for the occupants being stranded, but having living animals impacted on a break down has a whole new twist.
If the next go round doesnt fix any and all issues with the truck, I'm going to lemon law and consult a lawyer. The service writer opened a star case to sort this out, whatever that will do, I dont know.

I like everything about my truck except its dependability. Was going to buy an extended warranty prior to the issues, but now Im not going to waste money on a truck that might go back to FCA.
Allison is still not on the menu for the '23's, there have been rumors for years ....just rumors. The 68RFE has many weak points, just look on youtube and blogs.
Either way Im going to pay more for a replacement truck.

Cheers
Willy
Alison will never be in a factory ram and the 68RFE is a pretty stout trans since the 2019 improvements to the VB. By the sounds of it the dealer is your issue and likey shoty work caused the further trans issues after the first converter failed. These dealers are the biggest issue due to the trouble finding quality workers these days

flan

Reaction score
I read of very few 68 complaints the last 4 years, minus the 2 separate recalls.

AZOILBURNER

Reaction score
I figured I'd post this up here, just in case anyone else has the "dead truck" issue like I had. The worst part is the last line, in the closing comments, the tech essentially calls me a liar and says (based on literally no information) that my truck did not shut down while driving. It did, and I was on my way to get on I-95. This would have been a serious issue for me, and potentially life threatening for my wife if she'd been towing our loaded fifth-wheel and the truck just died like this at highway speed (no engine, no power steering, no brakes, no load leveling). Normally I would not blast them like this, but I thought everyone should know to stay away from this dealership. In addition to the long wait time (39 days) to diagnose and replace a starter (even though STAR told them to bench test the starter early in the process) my truck is also missing trim screws, and wheelhouse panels. All in all, shoddy work, poor communication from the dealer, and no confidence from this consumer. We will not be returning.

The dealership/service center was: Ourisman CDJR, of Woodbridge, VA. Stay away from this place.

@RamCares

Attachments

• STARCONVO.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I figured I'd post this up here, just in case anyone else has the "dead truck" issue like I had. The worst part is the last line, in the closing comments, the tech essentially calls me a liar and says (based on literally no information) that my truck did not shut down while driving. It did, and I was on my way to get on I-95. This would have been a serious issue for me, and potentially life threatening for my wife if she'd been towing our loaded fifth-wheel and the truck just died like this at highway speed (no engine, no power steering, no brakes, no load leveling). Normally I would not blast them like this, but I thought everyone should know to stay away from this dealership. In addition to the long wait time (39 days) to diagnose and replace a starter (even though STAR told them to bench test the starter early in the process) my truck is also missing trim screws, and wheelhouse panels. All in all, shoddy work, poor communication from the dealer, and no confidence from this consumer. We will not be returning.

The dealership/service center was: Ourisman CDJR, of Woodbridge, VA. Stay away from this place.

@RamCares
Thats almost hilarious the “Tech” had to be walked through the steps and ask basic questions like he did in the star convo. The guy should be sent back to school

jetrinka

Reaction score

@RamCares
That was embarrassing to read…. Holy smokes that “tech” has no basic understanding of how things work…

areuriding

Reaction score
**** service, next time go to Manassas Park Lindsay Chrysler and make sure you have "Bobby" work on it. He's a car/truck guy and is very good at what he does. He's the only mechanic that touches any of my vehicles to include my Redeye. He has the coolest 50's truck he completely restored.

AZOILBURNER

Reaction score
**** service, next time go to Manassas Park Lindsay Chrysler and make sure you have "Bobby" work on it. He's a car/truck guy and is very good at what he does. He's the only mechanic that touches any of my vehicles to include my Redeye. He has the coolest 50's truck he completely restored.
Will do! Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread