Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummin Diesel Engine Exhaust Brakes auto on with ignition

Atty

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to set the engine brakes to default on when starting the truck?

Whether it be using a standard menu through EVIC, radio unit or using AlfaOBD?

Would love to not have to remember to turn this on all the time.. I never drive on icy roads so I don't have any concerns about forgetting it's on and if there's a time when I need it off I'd rather select it off then have to constantly select it on.

Cheers!

Atty

Reaction score
Yeah from what I read in the manuals I couldn't see anything. Was more hopeful that ALFAOBD would come to the rescue.. I've already looked through the options and couldn't see anything mentioned..

I wonder if the NAVIKS unit could be programmed with this feature as well... I'll mention it to RBarrett to see if he would be willing to ask about it

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Wondering out loud if a truck/trailer receptacle tester would fool the computer?

Last edited:

MikeXM

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to set the engine brakes to default on when starting the truck?

Whether it be using a standard menu through EVIC, radio unit or using AlfaOBD?

Would love to not have to remember to turn this on all the time.. I never drive on icy roads so I don't have any concerns about forgetting it's on and if there's a time when I need it off I'd rather select it off then have to constantly select it on.

Cheers!
Probably my #1 most wanted improvement. If they are worried about ice braking, they could unlock it based on temperature at startup. At least some part of the year it would work great.

Last edited:

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
a tune would remedy that as well, if you were so inclined.

Atty

Reaction score
a tune would remedy that as well, if you were so inclined.
A tune is something that we definitely have considered doing.. what sort of tune would give this option? I've done a little research into it and seen multiple ways that I can achieve a tune. I was thinking about something along lines of an ezlink tuner and say duramax (or similar). Will have to search the forum for any threads on tuners. I notice that lots of the powerchips are for RAMs only up to 2018. I like the idea of plug and play devices versus having to take it to somewhere..

Atty

Reaction score
any tuner can modify the eb to stay on.
And your thoughts on the duramax /ez zink tune? From my searching through the forum for available tuners, I see you have a tune of some sort.

Both the CTT and Duramax are similarly priced. Are there any others you know of that you'd recommend?

Atty

Reaction score
OK yeah I was asking what tuner you have/use and also whether you knew much about either of the above.
Do you tune it yourself or do you have a tuner company that you use and you flash it yourself? I'm not up for doing my own tuning.. That's a rabbit hole I don't go down..

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I use a well known cummins tuner that sends files to me, then I flash it on my local efi live. haven't ever used anything else besides a smarty way back in the day.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I wired a 7 pin trailer plug with a 12 ohm-10 watt resister, wired to brake and ground and keep it plugged in. Truck thinks a trailer is connected and keeps the EB on all the time. You can still adjust between auto and full. My brother used an 8 ohm-10 watt resistor and gets the same results.

Atty

Reaction score
I wired a 7 pin trailer plug with a 12 ohm-10 watt resister, wired to brake and ground and keep it plugged in. Truck thinks a trailer is connected and keeps the EB on all the time. You can still adjust between auto and full. My brother used an 8 ohm-10 watt resistor and gets the same results.
Good to know you can fool the computer to keep it on, does it default to the Full or Auto or what you last had selected?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, there you have it. Proof positive.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Cool trick.
The question now is why doesn't the transmission stay in tow mode when trailer is plugged in?
My #2 most wanted improvement :p

Last edited:

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Cool trick.
The question now is why doesn't the transmission stay in tow mode when trailer is plugged in?
My #2 most wanted improvement :p

My 2013 retained either setting. And 2020 hasn't allowed for much towing.

Users who are viewing this thread