Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cruise Control While Towing

E-Rod

Reaction score
2-Horse Slant Trailer w/ Tack Room & 2 full size quarter horses. Trailer: 3,000lbs + Equine: ~2,200lbs = ~5,200lbs total weight

Midwest to South Texas driving with virtually no hills... however if steep hills are encountered, is it best to cancel Cruise Control... or just let it eat?

Growing up my dad always said to never use Cruise Control while towing anything heavier than a couple 4-wheelers on a light single axle trailer

I'm young and this truck is my first pickup independently purchased since an old hand-me-down from my dad at 16.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I tow a 30' 9k TT and use the adaptive cruse control whenever possible. Works fine in mountains. Keeps speed going up and does a great job managing gearing going downhill.

E-Rod

Reaction score
I tow a 30' 9k TT and use the adaptive cruse control whenever possible. Works fine in mountains. Keeps speed going up and does a great job managing gearing going downhill.
Thanks. Is "adaptive" cruise control standard?

(Mine does have the Towing Technology Package)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Always use cruise dont be that idiot that does not keep a constant speed.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
My 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins and now my 2020 RAM 3500 Cummins pull just fine with cruise control on with exhaust brake on auto and tow/haul mode on.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
I pull a 34' travel trailer at roughly 9000 pounds, and I use cruise control all the time.

D

Deleted member 80

Cruise on, exhaust brake on, and relax. Uphill, downhill, stress-free towing. I do cancel cruise in traffic.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score

Adaptive cruise control is not standard and is part of the Safety Group. Trucks with it still have regular cruise control as well with it's own button.

John Jensen

Reaction score
RV_Goose said, "my 2020 RAM 3500 Cummins pull just fine with cruise control on with exhaust brake on auto and tow/haul mode on." Same for my 2020 3500 6.7 HO, up the mountain, down the mountain or over a flat highway, it works perfectly. Very impressed and pleased.

Last edited:

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I use cruise while towing. Just not it heavy traffic or on ice.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Run with the cruise and concentrate on other driving tasks.

If you're towing near max, it's OK to override the cruise with a little go pedal approaching a big hill to help maintain momentum, though not really necessary for some of us...

JohnandDonna

Reaction score

Depends on your trim level and optional packages. Most come standard with regular cruise control. The adaptive is great as it adjusts your speed in order to maintain the set interval.

Frank

Reaction score
No cruise control goes back to the days of 3 and 4 speeds that didn't have electro-mechanical controls. Modern trucks change the shift patterns to keep you from hunting gears or blowing out the overdrive and torque converter. Cruise is fine, just make sure you have tow/haul turned on.

smithb29

Reaction score
I tow with a 2020 gasser. I use cruse control unless approaching a long steep grade.
Personally I would rather maintain a loser RPM and slow down a bit than run at a much higher RPM just to maintain the speed limit.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I tow with a 2020 gasser. I use cruse control unless approaching a long steep grade.
Personally I would rather maintain a loser RPM and slow down a bit than run at a much higher RPM just to maintain the speed limit.
Its better on the trans and engine to be in the high rpm when climbing lugging an engine is probably the worst thing you can do to it besides idling for long periods

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
I pull a 40' gooseneck that weigh's 9600lbs with upwards of 15K on the deck. Use cruise control ( when I remember to ) except when traffic starts to thicken up or in the mountains. Never really had much of a problem in the mountains, but I like to be in control of the speed with the big trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread