Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Insurance Rates on new 3500

Matts2500

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced crazy high insurance rates on 3500's? I'm getting ready to add my new '24 3500 HO Longhorn, and they quoted me $330/month! My '22 2500 Hemi was only $137/month. This just seems excessive to me.

Grey

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced crazy high insurance rates on 3500's? I'm getting ready to add my new '24 3500 HO Longhorn, and they quoted me $330/month! My '22 2500 Hemi was only $137/month. This just seems excessive to me.
do some Comparisions with other companies. Every now and then you have to rattle the branches to sort out the dead wood.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch,

2020 Limited and I pay $166/mo after 6 month prepay discount.

Older cards, but all 3 combined are less than $330/mo.

We also get hammered due to frequent hail here.

Age? Record? Crazy gap insurance?

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
My rate came in $30 more a month for my 2024 3500 over the 2020 2500 I had back in 2021.
Doesn’t hurt to shop it around, but I’m afraid insurance is catching up with all the inflation we had

Lerker

Reaction score
I don't pay anywhere even close to that. A fraction, really.

Like someone else said..... so many factors influence a person's premium.

For instance: I lived in Florida prior to moving to New Hampshire, where I live now. Simply changing states cut my premium in half.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
Before we bought our 2500, I checked insurance. A 3500 was about $1K a year more than the 2500, same year and trim.

Remember, a LOT of things affect insurance rates. Credit rating, zip code, environmental hazards, unlicensed and uninsured driver rates, etc.

Grey

Reaction score
Tip: When checking rates, do not give them what you are currently paying. Make them give their best price

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Been pricing out a new 3500 dually and the rates are not bad all 3 vehicles with full coverage and my house combined are 375 a month… i use a broker and shop around every year, the days if getting a “loyalty discount” from keeping the same insurance are over

Thisnthat

Reaction score
insurance in our area (the south) went up approx 30% last year. anybody/everybody you talked to said their rates went up - home/auto, everything. Had a tornado completely destroy a school and apparently that single company underwrote the majority of schools in the state so the schools'/other businesses premiums went sky high as well. we have farm bureau and they "said" that they were just now adjusting for the increases in car prices over the past few years (Ram has gone up almost 50% in the past 5+/- years) along with the dreaded "inflation".

i have a bighorn dually with a 17yo driver also on the policy and it is right at $2k/yr.

will say your 24 Longhorn is probably close to double the price of your 22 hemi, but almost $4k a year for insurance? ouch. I'd definitely compare your coverage limits/deductible between your current policy and back when it was cheaper...see if there is anything that sticks out

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch. My 2022 was $10/mo cheaper than my 2018 when I made the trade in August of ‘22.

I keep my limits high and my deductibles low, and I’m under $500/mo for 5 vehicles, 3 drivers (1 teen), 2 trailers, and an umbrella policy. The Ram is more than twice as much as anything else on the policy at $191/mo. It still sucks to pay, but is what it is I guess.

mountainears

Reaction score
What do you guys have for your limits and deductibles? And what state are you in?

I have a 22 3500 in California. Senior driver, good record and discounts on the policy for various crap through Farmers.

Liability at 250/500 full coverage policy with a rider on it for my horse trailer. $1000 deductible on collision. I’m paying right around $3200 a year.

Not happy with that but they carry my home policy so I need to stick with farmers for the discounts for now.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
I can speak for California. Auto Insurance rates jumped up to 30% begining September of ‘23. Between the cost of parts for vehicles for replacemnt on claims to California Insurance Commision allowed insurance companies to raise the rates. My renewal with AAA Insurance premium jumped over $500. Clean record for 35 years.

mountainears

Reaction score
Well you’re not speaking for all of California. My rate did not go up by 30% in 2023. I’ve been with Farmers for 36 years (like you I guess) but my rate for my truck has been the same since I got it. High then and now (in my opinion).

It’s nearly impossible to compare this stuff but can get close if people would post what their limits and deductibles are otherwise comparing monthly’s is useless.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Definitely shop it around. Don't know where you're located but that's close to the amount I was paying for unladen liability plus damage coverage on a 3500 from the commercial insurance scalpers up until a few months ago.

Riddick

Reaction score
Rates have been on the rise for the past year regardless of what carrier you have. Our rates jumped up nearly 100 a month the last time our policy renewed, no accidents or tickets. The same thing happened last year and I switched carriers and minimized the damage. However, since they rose again not much we can do except lower our deductibles/coverages or bend over and take it. I love how we get a cost of living raise every year only to have my bills increase more than my raise...... :(.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
A WSJ article recently reported that the increase of high-tech sensors added to vehicles, such as automatic breaking, lane minders, dynamic cruise control, etc. makes even minor accidents substantially more expensive to repair. That $8K package might cost you another $10K over the life of the truck in insurance premiums. Another reason I slid back to the Big Horn package instead of a Laramie.

A friend of mine just opened a new Auto Repair facility near Ft. Collins, CO. He is all certified to do the calibration and reprogramming of these devices, which was no small feat. Some small Mom & Pop body shops are closing because they can't keep up with the certifications and training at their low levels. Some portion of average claim due to all this stuff, and EVs, is, due to the pool, being passed on to everyone. It's just how insurance works.

Users who are viewing this thread