Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
LOL from your mouth to god, er the bankers, ear.. out of my price range so 17-18 it is.. but yes we looked at the 2021 limited and WOW they are nice and ram is dam proud of them.. 84K or so.. :)
Hopefully new production will get back to “normal” so the used market comes back to a sane price level.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
@RamCares

Cool marketing videos on youtube with the new campaign!

RAM needs to come at this CP4 pump failure issue head on and recall every Cummins that has one to replace with the new CP-ISB21S3 (new CP3). This would sell lots of trucks. Failure to do so will lose many sales. Don't fail to meet this challenge head on RAM! Inaction will tarnish the RAM/Cummins brand that you've worked hard to achieve and you will lose faithful owners and future buyers.

If they do not change out the 19-20 model years with the CP4 to the CP3, the value of those trucks will be much less then a 2021 etc. Who is going to want to buy a 19-20 with a known mechanical fuel pump history of catastrophic failure? 10K after it explodes?

MikeXM

Reaction score
If they do not change out the 19-20 model years with the CP4 to the CP3, the value of those trucks will be much less then a 2021 etc. Who is going to want to buy a 19-20 with a known mechanical fuel pump history of catastrophic failure? 10K after it explodes?
Make that 24k? At least that was the first number I seen if everything goes wrong.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
As I posted in the past, the day the 5/100 warranty ends, and time will expire for my truck first, I'll convert to a CP3. Of coarse this is if FCA ignores us who own a 2019/20 truck. There are probably driving habits that might make a difference if it fails or not, but who knows why some CP4.2's don't fail? In my habits of driving, three important factors may help me.

1st, I always warm up my truck, using at a minimum, the remote start 10 minute run time. Because I have a Laramie with the Uconnect app, I can start my truck from any location before I even have eyes on the truck.

2nd, I never go any lower than a quarter of a tank. The theory is, small air bubbles can get to the pump that can cause a low lubrication condition.

3rd, I always shut the truck off while filling the tank to prevent the same theory as noted above.

I keep all fuel records & receipts, and double down using only three brands that I have credit cards for, as an extra guaranty, if FCA claims fuel contamination and denies warranty, I could then go after the fuel station that sold me the bad fuel.

On edit, I'll also add that even if it is one of my major brands I have credit cards for, I'll not fill up, if it looks like it hasn't been kept up. I'll just move on to the next brand station. Its the advantage of filling up at or over a quarter of a tank.

Last edited:

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Make that 24k? At least that was the first number I seen if everything goes wrong.
I have always seen the 10K number batted around....Sheesh....If 10K is not a good reason to recall, anything above is more reason too. I know the dealer probably does it for a fraction at their cost, but even so...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
As I posted in the past, the day the 5/100 warranty ends, and time will expire for my truck first, I'll convert to a CP3. Of coarse this is if FCA ignores us who own a 2019/20 truck. There are probably driving habits that might make a difference if it fails or not, but who knows why some CP4.2's don't fail? In my habits of driving, three important factors may help me.

1st, I always warm up my truck, using at a minimum, the remote start 10 minute run time. Because I have a Laramie with the Uconnect app, I can start my truck from any location before I even have eyes on the truck.

2nd, I never go any lower than a quarter of a tank. The theory is, small air bubbles can get to the pump that can cause a low lubrication condition.

3rd, I always shut the truck off while filling the tank to prevent the same theory as noted above.

I keep all fuel records & receipts, and double down using only three brands that I have credit cards for, as an extra guaranty, if FCA claims fuel contamination and denies warranty, I could then go after the fuel station that sold me the bad fuel.

On edit, I'll also add that even if it is one of my major brands I have credit cards for, I'll not fill up, if it looks like it hasn't been kept up. I'll just move on to the next brand station. Its the advantage of filling up at or over a quarter of a tank.
You would have to be so low on fuel the filters drained to get air to the cp4 lol

Xflight29

Reaction score
What I cant figure out is after all the millions on research and development to enhance their vehicles and to gain a competitive edge over their competitors and they always seem to go the extra mile on their attempts to keep their vehicle secrets until they are ready to to be launched. To ensure that their products meets what the consumers expectations are. So I ask, why the hell would they go with a known issue such as this and take any type of a chance to have their name dragged through the mud makes no sense even in the slightest amount.

mra400ex

Reaction score
I think the biggest downfall of the CP4 would be how they overclocked it. I presume for the pressure needed for the increase in torque and hp. Second fault is that the fuel goes thru the bottom end and when things let go it puts particles thru the fuel system. Both were poorly designed and tested apparently. No matter what pump is on there, hopefully it does not spread the glitter when it fails like the CP4.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The first, second hand "in person report" I heard of, was one CTD destroyed two complete fuel systems replaced, and even though its been awhile, it was back in the shop last I heard. The person that relayed the story to me is a respected motor-head, even though he's a Ford Mustang fan. I believe him, and with a Long Horn DRW at $90K+, what a shame. I did tell him to relay to his buddy, it should be lemon lawed and he should go with a 2021. I haven't heard any more about it lately, but I'll be working with my customer tomorrow.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score

I refuse to take part in this one. Damn tank is already too small. All the people that don't go below 1/4 are driving around with a 20-some gallon tank on a big diesel.

Nope.

I warm up, I cool down, I run the lift pump before start, EDT+LX4, all that jazz, but I refuse to cut myself short on range and be filling this thing up every second because of their **** pump design. My ritual for dosing the tank takes an extra 5 mins alone.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I refuse to take part in this one. Damn tank is already too small. All the people that don't go below 1/4 are driving around with a 20-some gallon tank on a big diesel.

Nope.

I warm up, I cool down, I run the lift pump before start, EDT+LX4, all that jazz, but I refuse to cut myself short on range and be filling this thing up every second because of their **** pump design. My ritual for dosing the tank takes an extra 5 mins alone.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 1/4 tank supposedly an issue on all vehicles? I've heard about this from gas to diesel vehicles. The sump has been around for a while to "solve" for this long before the CP4 ever launched.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, I'm just saying this theory has been around long before the CP4 came around.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 1/4 tank supposedly an issue on all vehicles? I've heard about this from gas to diesel vehicles. The sump has been around for a while to "solve" for this long before the CP4 ever launched.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, I'm just saying this theory has been around long before the CP4 came around.
No the only time 1/4 tank is an issue is with a fass or simillar system and a draw straw other than that you can run the tank pretty close to empty without grabbing air and even if you do grab a touch of air in a diesel the filter canister gets the air and just keeps feeding the engine fuel unless your doing a big hill for a long time thats about the only time you will have an issue plus these trucks give a false dte when you fill the tank from basically empty on the gauge there is still about 5 gallons of fuel in it

RVTRKN

Reaction score

Nope.

I need dependability, not range.

Hilly1

Reaction score
Not doing any of these things other than the scheduled maintenance and just drive this $82,000 truck! I guess Ill take my chances that there is enough documentation and uncovering of this design flaw or admittance to the issue/problem and that there is a “Service Solution” in the works that RAM/Ram Cares has put out there for the public to see in print and social media. RAM will need to step up and repair my truck if it has this catastrophic failure in the future.

Last edited:

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Not doing any of these things other than the scheduled maintenance and just drive this $82,000 truck! I guess Ill take my chances that there is enough documentation and uncovering of this design flaw or admittance to the issue/problem and that there is a “Service Solution” in the works that RAM/Ram Cares has put out there for the public to see in print and social media. RAM will need to step up and repair my truck if it has this catastrophic failure in the future.

This is a good point. Ram has publicly addressed it now in official capacity. Harder for them to duck it now.

Quick! Someone take a screenshot! :lol:

MikeXM

Reaction score
LOL, for what it's worth, RAMCares comments on this topic are now archived here:

Users who are viewing this thread