Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
It's technically a CP-ISB21S3 from the tag posted.

Until a shop like S&S gets a core and tears it down, don't expect much press.

Ol_son76

Reaction score
So I’m the new guy and yes, this is my first post and no, I’m not a troll. I’ve owned an old 7.3 Ford and a 2500 Duramax. I bought the Duramax with 26,000 miles on it and the pump glitterbombed on me after about 200 miles of driving the day after I bought it. Super fun. I’ve also been a parts guy for over 25 years, most of those with Toyota. The frame replacement recall is for real, mainly on Tacomas.
I’m literally amazed that there hasn’t been a recall over these pumps. Toyota has 2 vehicles with a problem and a million vehicles get recalled. Probably 75% of our shop work is recalls and warranty work.
I’m almost in the market for a née truck and I’m leaving Toyota to go with a 3/4 ton diesel. I’m out on Ford due to their reputation with lack of paying warranty claims on these pumps. I loved the GMC I had and with the Denso pump, it’s a viable option. I was never a Dodge guy until I drove my buddy’s Bighorn the other day. Wow! What a truck.
Being a parts guy, I can say that this new pump is probably a CP3 in nature but it’s been redone in some aspects to meet pressure needs or something. Having done that, it has to be renamed. It’s not exactly the same. I’m anxious to see how it works out. Thanks for letting me post this long mess. I’ve spent a week reading this 40 pages as research.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
2021 trucks are a less of a gamble then the CP4.2 trucks are. Yes the Dodge trucks are leaps and bounds better than the completion, but there is a lemon in all makes. The company I worked for in 2015 bought me a 2014 2500 CTD hold over, and got a good deal. It turned into a lemon, to the point that the owner got all his money back, including the cost of the service bed that the dealer sold him. I still stay with Ram because my purchased trucks over the years have been great. Ol_son76, get the Laramie you'll enjoy it that much more.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Toyota does take care of the costumers for sure. When they had a faulty fuel pumps that was leaving motorist stranded they called back everyone to correct the issue. I have to say if they ever came out with a diesel it would be hard to pass it-up.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So I’m the new guy and yes, this is my first post and no, I’m not a troll. I’ve owned an old 7.3 Ford and a 2500 Duramax. I bought the Duramax with 26,000 miles on it and the pump glitterbombed on me after about 200 miles of driving the day after I bought it. Super fun. I’ve also been a parts guy for over 25 years, most of those with Toyota. The frame replacement recall is for real, mainly on Tacomas.
I’m literally amazed that there hasn’t been a recall over these pumps. Toyota has 2 vehicles with a problem and a million vehicles get recalled. Probably 75% of our shop work is recalls and warranty work.
I’m almost in the market for a née truck and I’m leaving Toyota to go with a 3/4 ton diesel. I’m out on Ford due to their reputation with lack of paying warranty claims on these pumps. I loved the GMC I had and with the Denso pump, it’s a viable option. I was never a Dodge guy until I drove my buddy’s Bighorn the other day. Wow! What a truck.
Being a parts guy, I can say that this new pump is probably a CP3 in nature but it’s been redone in some aspects to meet pressure needs or something. Having done that, it has to be renamed. It’s not exactly the same. I’m anxious to see how it works out. Thanks for letting me post this long mess. I’ve spent a week reading this 40 pages as research.

Welcome and sorry it's 40 pages. We did our best to keep it on topic but some people...

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
Toyota does take care of the costumers for sure. When they had a faulty fuel pumps that was leaving motorist stranded they called back everyone to correct the issue. I have to say if they ever came out with a diesel it would be hard to pass it-up.
Guess you've never heard of a Scion Tc. LOL

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Bean counters and lawyers could have drafted up an easy warranty extension by now.

It's either going to be a mechanical fix, or the warranty extension is delayed based on pending lawsuit fallout strategy.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Maybe they want to see how the new pump does out in the field before they jump into replacing them. If this pump is an overdriven CP3 they may not want to do a recall until they are 100% sure. Yes, just positive speculation on my part.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe they want to see how the new pump does out in the field before they jump into replacing them. If this pump is an overdriven CP3 they may not want to do a recall until they are 100% sure. Yes, just positive speculation on my part.

Possible, but even a trashed CP3 doesn't destroy the rest of the fuel system (injectors).

P.S. I checked (a few) part differences 2020 to 2021 and the pump (of course) and main front timing cover have different part numbers. Forgot to write down the outer timing cover numbers. I haven't found anything yet on the scissor gear. Also assuming there's a few lines involved.

The cover is $772 discounted, the pump is $1782 discounted.

Last edited:

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Hopefully we hear something from Ram before S&S and II stop selling CP3 conversions due to low demand/low available customer base.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully we hear something from Ram before S&S and II stop selling CP3 conversions due to low demand/low available customer base.

Buy the engine timing cover parts and pump and swap them out. Seems about the same cost. I just wonder if a flash is needed or the dealer would even do one.

Still holding faith FCA will take care of us. As discussed, this could be either a huge black eye for the RAM/Cummins brand, or a huge win. @RamCares

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@RamCares

Cool marketing videos on youtube with the new campaign!

RAM needs to come at this CP4 pump failure issue head on and recall every Cummins that has one to replace with the new CP-ISB21S3 (new CP3). This would sell lots of trucks. Failure to do so will lose many sales. Don't fail to meet this challenge head on RAM! Inaction will tarnish the RAM/Cummins brand that you've worked hard to achieve and you will lose faithful owners and future buyers.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
@RamCares

Cool marketing videos on youtube with the new campaign!

RAM needs to come at this CP4 pump failure issue head on and recall every Cummins that has one to replace with the new CP-ISB21S3 (new CP3). This would sell lots of trucks. Failure to do so will lose many sales. Don't fail to meet this challenge head on RAM! Inaction will tarnish the RAM/Cummins brand that you've worked hard to achieve and you will lose faithful owners and future buyers.

Very true, I am seeing this same sentiment all over the boards and social media.

carl2591

Reaction score
coming from the ford diesel truck side or wanting to come from the ford diesel side, now with a '03 7.3L, I have been impressed with the ram brand for a couple years now and especially with all the issues ford PS is having with CP4 pumps. on the ford forums you hear a lot of the ,, you know there are millions of them on the road running thousand of miles a day for years with no issues..

And to that I say,, yes but if the pump craps out and ford "finds" water in the fuel, which i can guarantee they will, the warranty is void. You might get lucky and get it covered as they have to show some unit are being covered under warranty to make it look legal.. but that a 10K issues for you. and that SUCKS..

If all failures were not covered that would be a easy lawsuit to win so they have to cover some..

it like the worthless extended warranty game you buy that is not backed by the manf.. not worth the paper written on and some do get thing covered to make the number they need to be legal adn stay alive.

I am looking for some newer as we travel full time pulling our 30 ft airstream.. the ford does a fine job but the new stuff is nice to have. With all the info / knowledge I have gained here I know where to look, years and the one to stay away from.. kinda like the ford 6.0, 6.4 and now the 6.7 it seems.

just want say thank and i will be hanging around to learn more about the 17-18 currently.

Attachments

• IMG_20160331_233142.jpg
    IMG_20160331_233142.jpg
    732.2 KB · Views: 23

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
coming from the ford diesel truck side or wanting to come from the ford diesel side, now with a '03 7.3L, I have been impressed with the ram brand for a couple years now and especially with all the issues ford PS is having with CP4 pumps. on the ford forums you hear a lot of the ,, you know there are millions of them on the road running thousand of miles a day for years with no issues..

And to that I say,, yes but if the pump craps out and ford "finds" water in the fuel, which i can guarantee they will, the warranty is void. You might get lucky and get it covered as they have to show some unit are being covered under warranty to make it look legal.. but that a 10K issues for you. and that SUCKS..

If all failures were not covered that would be a easy lawsuit to win so they have to cover some..

it like the worthless extended warranty game you buy that is not backed by the manf.. not worth the paper written on and some do get thing covered to make the number they need to be legal adn stay alive.

I am looking for some newer as we travel full time pulling our 30 ft airstream.. the ford does a fine job but the new stuff is nice to have. With all the info / knowledge I have gained here I know where to look, years and the one to stay away from.. kinda like the ford 6.0, 6.4 and now the 6.7 it seems.

just want say thank and i will be hanging around to learn more about the 17-18 currently.

2021 Ram doesn't have the CP4 so you can add that to your list of Rams to look at.

Ed95pont

Reaction score
My comment to the YouTube Ram add

For those that don't know Cummins powered Ram HD trucks have used the Cp3 injection pump for years with great success. For reasons unknown they moved to the problematic Cp4 injection pump for model year 19,20. It is turned out to be a disaster. Ram has gone back to a CP3 based pump for model rear 21. Ram should recall these Cp4 pumps for safety and goodwill. The aftermarket is doing it for 20% of the cost of the damage from a blown CP4.

Users who are viewing this thread