Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
STAR sent Injection Fuel System Kit R8545068AA and Fuel Pump Sending Unit 514557AA to my dealer yesterday for my 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 6.7L Cummins/68RFE. My dealer service advisor tells me it includes the same fuel pump going into the 2021 vehicles - I really hope so. I'll post a picture of the pump when I pick the truck up Saturday. Photos of the Mopar box labels attached, and the parts diagrams. I could not determine the part number of the fuel pump in the kit and the pump does not have a reference # in the kit.

Truck has been at dealer since 6/25/21 - I had it owed in after engine RPM and acceleration became very erratic when driving @ 55 mph. I pulled off highway, parked, re-started truck and display said "Exhaust System Service Required - See Dealer". Fortunately I was 2 miles from home, and not in the mountains hauling horses where I was supposed to be the next week.

Negative ghostrider.

CP4.

1626468107649.png

dredd

Reaction score
I just traded a 2020 Silver Night Edition for a 2021 because of CP4.2. I had a 2015 and 2017 and hadn't been on the forums for awhile. I didn't know about the CP4.2 (my fault) before purchasing. I have been saying "it will be alright" until my Yamaha SHO 250 with 175 hours just puked oil and water thru the throttle body Memorial Day weekend. Yamaha told me my serial fell outside the service bulletin (very specific that it was NOT a recall) where they were replacing powerheads. Then, I just went with my gut.

2020Ram.jpg
side view.jpg

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I just traded a 2020 Silver Night Edition for a 2021 because of CP4.2. I had a 2015 and 2017 and hadn't been on the forums for awhile. I didn't know about the CP4.2 (my fault) before purchasing. I have been saying "it will be alright" until my Yamaha SHO 250 with 175 hours just puked oil and water thru the throttle body Memorial Day weekend. Yamaha told me my serial fell outside the service bulletin (very specific that it was NOT a recall) where they were replacing powerheads. Then, I just went with my gut.

View attachment 19247
View attachment 19249

That night edition was a looker!

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
Negative ghostrider.

CP4.

View attachment 19243
Here is a picture/schematic for the 2021 high pressure pump. It clearly shows a CP4, and we know the 2021's don't have the two humps/covers that the CP3 has. I wouldn't discount the new pump being in the kit just yet.

Attachments

• 8a43a5ea0540362d78f944ba24b3fd9e.png
    8a43a5ea0540362d78f944ba24b3fd9e.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
If that's from a MOPAR parts retailer online, they just recycle stock pics to fit gaps where they have none.

I've seen remote start kits for 2019+ that have pictures of old 2016 looking keys on those sites.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
That's my point. They are referring to the picture in the new "Fuel System Kit," which shows a CP4, and taking that picture as proof that the new pump is in fact a CP4. I'm saying that Mopar recycles old pictures into many of there new schematics, as the picture that I posted for a 2021 pump looks exactly like an old CP4.

No one will know what pump is being used in the kits until someone has one installed. And still we wait!

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The part number is the same referenced in the TSB I've been talking about the last few pages. R8545067AA for SO. R8545068AA for HO engines.

This is the "Service solution" until further notice. Look at that TSB vs what the dude posted he's getting from the dealer. Also look at the detailed repair procedure listed in the TSB. No gear swaps or cover changes or big revisions that a CP-ISB21S3 would need. Just "Replace the High Pressure Fuel Injection Pump. Refer to Service Library, Service Information Section 14-Fuel System > Fuel Delivery, Diesel > Pump, Fuel Injection > Removal and Installation. Be sure to reattach the fuel supply hose previously disconnected."

CP4.

Last edited:

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
The part number is the same referenced in the TSB I've been talking about the last few pages. R8545067AA for SO. R8545067AA for HO engines.

This is the "Service solution" until further notice. Look at that TSB vs what the dude posted he's getting from the dealer. Also look at the detailed repair procedure listed in the TSB. No gear swaps or cover changes or big revisions that a CP-ISB21S3 would need. Just "Replace the High Pressure Fuel Injection Pump. Refer to Service Library, Service Information Section 14-Fuel System > Fuel Delivery, Diesel > Pump, Fuel Injection > Removal and Installation. Be sure to reattach the fuel supply hose previously disconnected."

CP4.
I read the full SOL procedure and along with your mention of no gear changes, cover changes, or pump spacers, this line item jumped out:

36. Reprogram the PCM with the correct Sym Cam Injection Pump calibration. Please refer to all published TSBs regarding Fuel Injection Pump identification, and PCM reprogramming procedures.

That refers to the newest CP4 with the symmetrical cam lobes. Looks like you're right.

Sure glad I cancelled my 2019 order and ended up with a 2021 instead. I feel for all those that have to deal with this pump issue.

exiledinaz

Reaction score

View attachment 19247
View attachment 19249
I'm on the fence thinking about the trade in myself. Also batting around a CP3 kit. Warranty worries me . Wishful thinking that the "solution" coming in the end of the 3rd quarter will be favorable. If it makes it all the way to the "service solution" I'll have to poop or get off the pot as they say.

steve49

Reaction score
I'd be reluctant to go with the after market kits like S&S and Industrial, no tune necessary just swap out. The fellow on here a while back that did the Industrial kit on his new Ram, had problems after the install, went back and forth with Industrial trying to solve it, finally had to bring in a "tuner", then claiming all was good after the tuner, then traded the new Ram truck off and bought a new Ford diesel with a CP4 pump! I think there was more to the story that we weren't told! I think those kits may be viable, but with all the computer control and the electronics involved, it appears that there are "bugs" to be worked out.

Last edited:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I'd be reluctant to go with the after market kits like S&S and Industrial, no tune necessary just swap out. The fellow on here a while back that did the Industrial kit on his new Ram, had problems after the install, went back and forth with Industrial trying to solve it, finally had to bring in a "tuner", then claiming all was good after the tuner, then traded the new Ram truck off and bought a new Ford diesel with a CP4 pump! I think there was more to the story that we weren't told! I think those kits may be viable, but with all the computer control and the electronics involved, it appears that there are "bugs" to be worked out.
The member you are talking about already had a tune on his truck. The tune did not work with the new pump. It ran fine after he put the tune back to stock. There could be more to the story but IMO, I don't think he wanted to drive a truck without a tune

UglyViking

Reaction score
+1 to all this. Honestly it's not hard to tune these trucks, anyone can do it, but damn is it hard to do well. I wouldn't be surprised if the tuner was just green behind the ears and couldn't figure it out. Things happen but I don't know I'd blame it on the pump.

steve49

Reaction score
The member you are talking about already had a tune on his truck. The tune did not work with the new pump. It ran fine after he put the tune back to stock. There could be more to the story but IMO, I don't think he wanted to drive a truck without a tune
Actually the owner responded to my post and clarified a few things on the CP3 install about his tune etc., I think Admin moved it to another thread. But yes tuning was the issue and later worked out.

LoveMyRamAustin

Reaction score
STAR sent Injection Fuel System Kit R8545068AA and Fuel Pump Sending Unit 514557AA to my dealer yesterday for my 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 6.7L Cummins/68RFE. My dealer service advisor tells me it includes the same fuel pump going into the 2021 vehicles - I really hope so. I'll post a picture of the pump when I pick the truck up Saturday. Photos of the Mopar box labels attached, and the parts diagrams. I could not determine the part number of the fuel pump in the kit and the pump does not have a reference # in the kit.

Truck has been at dealer since 6/25/21 - I had it owed in after engine RPM and acceleration became very erratic when driving @ 55 mph. I pulled off highway, parked, re-started truck and display said "Exhaust System Service Required - See Dealer". Fortunately I was 2 miles from home, and not in the mountains hauling horses where I was supposed to be the next week.
Attached photo shows the pump installed by dealer yesterday per my above message. I gather from the responses to above that this is the CP4.

NOTE - the attached photo is now the correct one I meant to include per my later message

Attachments

• Fuel Pump installed by dealer 7 19 21.jpg
    Fuel Pump installed by dealer 7 19 21.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
Attached photo shows the pump installed by dealer yesterday per my above message. I gather from the responses to above that this is the CP4.
So your truck is a 2020, and not a 2021? That is the pump they are using in the 2021+.

crawlex

Reaction score
Before everyone gets all excited please take a look at the file name of that photo: “2021 fuel pump photo from HDRam 12 19 20”

I’m not calling anyone a liar but I treat everything I read online with a healthy dose of skepticism….

Users who are viewing this thread