Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

mostcorey95

Reaction score
The more i think about it, the more i feel like they're going to have to issue some sort of recall or TSB if they don't want to get sued.

Switching back to the CP3 is basically an admission by Cummins/FCA that the CP4 is defective, and if they don't do something to take care of those of us with the bastard CP4's they're gonna be opening themselves up to a hefty class action suit that will probably stipulate them having to install CP3's in our trucks on top of whatever monetary compensation they're gonna have to fork out and whatever legal fee's they'll have to cover.

There was a class action against gm and fmco that never went anywhere and fmco is still using the cp4 pumps. They didn’t have to pay anything because of the way the warranty was worded. FCA worded it the same about contamination and that if contaminated fuel is detected warrant for fuel system is voided. They did a cya warranty fine print. The class action is still open and the judge seems to be leaning towards dismissal.

D

Deleted member 80

The more i think about it, the more i feel like they're going to have to issue some sort of recall or TSB if they don't want to get sued.

Switching back to the CP3 is basically an admission by Cummins/FCA that the CP4 is defective, and if they don't do something to take care of those of us with the bastard CP4's they're gonna be opening themselves up to a hefty class action suit that will probably stipulate them having to install CP3's in our trucks on top of whatever monetary compensation they're gonna have to fork out and whatever legal fee's they'll have to cover.
Plus, us HO guys should get the 1075 flash thrown in as a good-will gesture ;-)

g00fy

Reaction score
There was a class action against gm and fmco that never went anywhere and fmco is still using the cp4 pumps. They didn’t have to pay anything because of the way the warranty was worded. FCA worded it the same about contamination and that if contaminated fuel is detected warrant for fuel system is voided. They did a cya warranty fine print. The class action is still open and the judge seems to be leaning towards dismissal.

Well, Ford is still using them sticking to their guns that it's a Fuel problem not a part problem, FCA/Cummins switched back to CP3's, and i'm sure that's enough ammunition for some good lawyers to spin that as an acknowledgement by FCA/Cummins that the CP4 is defective.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ford is being stubborn like they where with the 6.0l... ram changing to cp3 had inadvertently admitted something is wrong with cp4. Hopefully they do good and recall or tsb

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Well, Ford is still using them sticking to their guns that it's a Fuel problem not a part problem, FCA/Cummins switched back to CP3's, and i'm sure that's enough ammunition for some good lawyers to spin that as an acknowledgement by FCA/Cummins that the CP4 is defective.

Oh I agree it’s possible. And star said it is a fuel standard problem not the part. The issue we all will fight is for a fuel standard. Till we have one the fuel is not fully regulated.

Last edited:

Basser53

Reaction score
Thats good to know , I almost bought a 20 off the lot.. glad I ordered despite the long wait..

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Ford is being stubborn like they where with the 6.0l... ram changing to cp3 had inadvertently admitted something is wrong with cp4. Hopefully they do good and recall or tsb

All I can say is that they are in the works of figuring something out and there is more than just the fuel pump change for 21. I’m waiting for the breakdown. The reengineered timing and other little things to maximize everything.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Switching back would not be a sign of admission. They could think of 1 million other excusses to switch back.. COST, Parts availability, Customer satisfaction, etc...

g00fy

Reaction score
Switching back would not be a sign of admission. They could think of 1 million other excusses to switch back.. COST, Parts availability, Customer satisfaction, etc...
They could make whatever excuse they want, a good lawyer should be able to convince a Judge FCA/cummins knows there's a problem, which is probably part of the reason Ford hasn't abandon the pump yet. It'll look real bad for their class action suit if they decide to drop the pump, while they're fighting a case over whether or not it's defective.

Scooterpilot

Reaction score
I'm still not clear on something? Is the CP3 installed only in the 2021 Cummins SO engine or is it in the HO Cummins too?
thanks

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has reported taking delivery of or seeing what's on the HO.

I just took delivery of mine and it’s a cp3. It’s at the upfitters now and I’ll have it back after the first of the year. From the star contact the cp3 is on all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s is very true. STAR is working to get a star online tsb out before end of year so Cummins can write it off as bad credit and start the new year fresh.

Why would Cummins have to write it off? They sell the engines without warranty to FCA. FCA picked the pump.

I guess I'm lost on that part.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if they TSB it and we can push for replacement.

ETA: So if I read correctly, it's Cummins that chose to use the CP4?

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Why would Cummins have to write it off? They sell the engines without warranty to FCA. FCA picked the pump.

I guess I'm lost on that part.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if they TSB it and we can push for replacement.

Cummins is the one who pays for the warranty. From FCA since they chose to try the cp4 Cummins had to make the truck run with it. So when a claim is submitted it goes from FCA to star and Cummins pays for part of it. STAR was tired of seeing the failures. Since it started to hurt their name they wanted to do something so they told FCA what the plan was and FCA jumped on board with the new plan and the redesign they encouraged. The star online stab would be from Cummins and not FCA so it would push to get things corrected. Most tsbs is they start with a S it’s from star and not FCA.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just took delivery of mine and it’s a cp3. It’s at the upfitters now and I’ll have it back after the first of the year. From the star contact the cp3 is on all.

Of an HO?

If we can get some pics, I'll edit the thread title. Any chance you have that conversation re: HO and CP3?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Cummins is the one who pays for the warranty. From FCA since they chose to try the cp4 Cummins had to make the truck run with it. So when a claim is submitted it goes from FCA to star and Cummins pays for part of it. STAR was tired of seeing the failures. Since it started to hurt their name they wanted to do something so they told FCA what the plan was and FCA jumped on board with the new plan and the redesign they encouraged. The star online stab would be from Cummins and not FCA so it would push to get things corrected. Most tsbs is they start with a S it’s from star and not FCA.

Gotcha, thanks for the extra insight.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks for the extra insight.

You are very welcome. I have been in contact with star for years since I worked warranty at the dealers and you realize how much is past on to the parts suppliers and everyone else.

The1adman

Reaction score
If they don't do a recall, the 19s and 20s will be Ram trucks to avoid. Gonna hurt resell.
I think it already has. The dealer I bought my 3500 from two months ago is a minimum of $10K off their 3500's. They have several Tradesman 3500 4X4 HO in the $40's. This was the first Cummins of the seven I have owned I was skeptical and not overly excited about. I have decided not to put any money into it and will likely trade it off.

Users who are viewing this thread