Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Rattle Vibration Noise (Video Uploaded)

heloguy

Reaction score
Did you take your truck to him? Did you go the unplug route or removal? What was the cost? Thx.
He sent me the autocal. I just flashed it and unplugged the engine bay sensors and straight piped it but gonna put the old one back on so i can take it when the they have parts for the 68rfe recall. 'm gonna hollow out the dpf filter though. I don't abuse my truck. I just wanted to not have to deal with emissions crap. It ruined my 16 dually. Price was around 1100.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
He sent me the autocal. I just flashed it and unplugged the engine bay sensors and straight piped it but gonna put the old one back on so i can take it when the they have parts for the 68rfe recall. 'm gonna hollow out the dpf filter though. I don't abuse my truck. I just wanted to not have to deal with emissions crap. It ruined my 16 dually. Price was around 1100.
Thx. Ya I’m not sold on the idea that dumping millions of gallons of raw fuel that‘s not needed for combustion really saves the environment anyway. People think that if you can’t ‘’see’’ pollution it doesn’t exists :rolleyes: and this just in ........electric vehicles have a bigger overall carbon foot print than other vehicles!! SHOCKER

MikeXM

Reaction score
I'm reconsidering ordering a RAM now.

After some thoughts - that might be the worse decision - but I can't go to another brand. RAM will be the next one and hopefully that won't happen to my truck...

ahhhr

Reaction score
AFT !
Hope this saga is coming to an end.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Well stopped by the dealer today and not sure what to make of it, they installed the new cp4 pump 68503523AA and 2 o-rings and my truck still makes the same rattle vibration noise as it did before. either the new pump is bad as well or it's not the issue who know's.

I was told it was quiet at first start up but after test drive it was producing the same rattle vibration noises as before and decel bearing rattle. They sent in the info to tech support and asked them as to what they want to replace next on my truck.

I so want to get a gas truck now or Power Wagon and be done with this pile but can't until they fix this thing.

D

Deleted member 80

The only other thing that comes to mind is that to quiet the whir of the traditional timing gears, on the new CGI engines they implemented a scissor gear which uses a split gear with a torsion spring to take up the gear lash. I don't know if that needs the tension applied on installation and it wasn't done correctly, or the spring could fail. They have used scissor gears on the big Cummins for a while, and I was assured by several folks that they are trouble free.

Also not likely, but if there is a restriction on the feed the pump could cavitate, which can make a heck of a rattle. This doesn't make a lot of sense, as Ram uses a lift pump to push fuel to the injector pump.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
One thing I did notice before I took it in for the cp4 pump was there was moisture all around the rear fuel filter all the way up. Maybe one of the other dealers checked for contaminates and didn't clean up their work so I did before it went in and I checked the water drain.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
What about the new Hydraulic lifters they went to causing the vibration tapping noise I hear, maybe some of them have went sour. All I know I have listened to about a dozen new 2500 3500 and none of them have sounded like mine rattling away. My 2019 reminds me of the old cummins 12 valve motors.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Any update?
Not as of yet, they are waiting on engineering to figure out what to do next on my truck. It currently has been in the shop 18 days with no fix in sight yet.

It looks like engineering has their hands full with my issue, transmission that can cause your truck to catch fire, cummins squeaky belt and a few others to deal with. I heard the other day while I was at the dealer the Eco diesel was getting a software update for emission as well.

Last edited:

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Last night driving the loaner 2500 Diesel Tradesman they gave me while my truck is still in the shop it decided to throw a CEL, now I have to take this one in to the shop as well.

If I did not have bad luck I would not have any luck at all with trucks. I'm still waiting on answers from engineering on what they are going to do on my truck to fix it or if I will get to that magical 30 days out of service currently at 21.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
CEL turned out to be an issue with the EGR cooler with 5800 miles on 2019 2500, so they say you can't be driving this anymore. They gave me a 2018 1500 classic with a V6 gas, what a gutless wonder.

I asked while I was there today swapping out loaners if there was any updates from engineering and he hinted they might start exploring into the camshaft area and tearing into that but was still waiting on the go ahead from engineering as they were still scratching there heads.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Here's the latest update, sorry it has taken a few days as I was out of town looking at property in Northern Wisconsin and got back today.

On February 24 I get a call from the Service Manager and Ram states they are not going to investigate any of the other noises from my 6.7 and say it's all normal and is all ready to come pick up from them. I go over to the dealer and sign for it giving back the loaner. I fire it up and it's still making a horrible rattle noise from the front of the engine. I let it idle until it reaches around 110° and the all of a sudden it's like the clutch fan disengages and it sounds normal, the new CP4 pump you can barley hear and sounds like a normal 6.7 Diesel engine. So I leave the dealership and I get about 6 miles away and while entering onto the freeway and I put my foot into it to merge thru traffic, it then belches and a puff off smoke and a horrible smell in the cab and No power, no power steering and a CEL comes on and is dead. I then have to fight getting back thru traffic to get to the side of the road, I call Ram road side assistance and wait 1:45 for a tow back to the dealer. While waiting on the tow truck I get a call from my rep at Ram customer service to give me a follow up, I then proceed to tell him boy do I have a follow up for you and I'm broke down now right after picking it up from the dealer and told him I want a new truck after this debacle.

The tow truck comes and puts it on a flat bed and it's leaking diesel fuel all over the under carriage and onto the tow truck. They get it back to the dealer and pop the hood and diesel fuel is everywhere under the hood and say the cp4 pump has some loose bolts all the while they looked panicked and they tighten them and get it to start finally and pull it into the shop to clear the codes. I wait around for about and hour and the service writer comes to me and tells me the new cp4 diesel fuel feed line into the cp4 pump they installed is broken and have to get a new one. On Friday February 28 the dealer called and all is fixed. I haven't been to the dealer yet to pick it up and might wait until Thursday since I have other things to take care of which will put it 31 days out of service for this issue.

I asked the dealer to look at the fan clutch, or A/C pump clutch as well but he tells me it's fine, there is still something wrong with this truck. If It still makes noise I'm going to refuse it until it's fixed or they give me a new replacement truck as I don't know what damage was done to the new cp4 pump when that hose blew up and the pump lost lift pump pressure at 2000 rpm and at 60 mph.

MikeXM

Reaction score
And that, gentlemen, is what nightmares are made of.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Lemon laws differ by state, but I suggest you go read through this thread when you have some time.

Be careful what you say, who you talk to and what you agree to. You may want to enlist the services of an attorney if you feel you can't manage the process well enough to protect yourself.

smokeygt

Reaction score
My gosh! You're a tough man. I'm glad you are relating your experiences with us. Hopefully, if this happens to someone else, your posts will help them. Thank you, I know this has to be aggravating as all hail for you. Try not to let it bother you too much. You're a saint!

Cummins3

Reaction score
That sux man sorry to hear....i do think the fan cluch has something to do with some of the noise...good luck

Users who are viewing this thread