Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 pending service solution discussion thread

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't get it, if there where this magical minimal reports of failures, then why is RAM providing a "Service Solution" to fix it if it's not that big a deal.

If it was not an issue than Ram would of just kept rolling with the Symmetrical CP4 in MY21 MY22 and so on as cost of a CP4 is way cheaper than a CP3 to produce. But they secretly rolled out the MY21 trucks and low and behold a CP3 was installed on them.
Ram has always been progressive on upgrading even after minimal failures…. Also i believe just by the time line the CP4.2 was only being used as an temporary solution as the CP3 used in the 03-18 trucks were not capable of hitting the fuel pressure the 19+ trucks required …hence why the new 21-22 trucks are running a CP3 variant not an original CP3 so during the 19-20 period they were developing the CP3 variant

You can chose to run around like chicken little screaming the sky is falling but i chose not to and actually look at facts

Deadbuck

Reaction score
I hope Ram's "Service Solution" is a bullet proof fix for the MY19 MY20 trucks for you guys but we will see when it comes out what it is, I just could not wait over it and ordered a 2022 3500. I also wanted a 3500 for more payload and have always loved the Ram products. I was just disappointed that my 2019 truck had 2 pump replacements with under 9700 miles under it's belt. Since the install of Symmetrical pump it has been good for 11k miles with no issues but I only buy diesel at the top tier fuel places and keep all receipts just in case.

I have just been patiently waiting for my 2022 3500 Bighorn to be built to finally be back in the CP3 club again and not have to worry about this again. I feel for you guys that can't switch to a newer truck and are stuck with the MY19 MY20 trucks.
What are top tier stations?
I hope Ram's "Service Solution" is a bullet proof fix for the MY19 MY20 trucks for you guys but we will see when it comes out what it is, I just could not wait over it and ordered a 2022 3500. I also wanted a 3500 for more payload and have always loved the Ram products. I was just disappointed that my 2019 truck had 2 pump replacements with under 9700 miles under it's belt. Since the install of Symmetrical pump it has been good for 11k miles with no issues but I only buy diesel at the top tier fuel places and keep all receipts just in case.

I have just been patiently waiting for my 2022 3500 Bighorn to be built to finally be back in the CP3 club again and not have to worry about this again. I feel for you guys that can't switch to a newer truck and are stuck with the MY19 MY20 trucks.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Ram has always been progressive on upgrading even after minimal failures…. Also i believe just by the time line the CP4.2 was only being used as an temporary solution as the CP3 used in the 03-18 trucks were not capable of hitting the fuel pressure the 19+ trucks required …hence why the new 21-22 trucks are running a CP3 variant not an original CP3 so during the 19-20 period they were developing the CP3 variant

You can chose to run around like chicken little screaming the sky is falling but i chose not to and actually look at facts
I don't see it that way as a temporary solution as the CP4.2 pump was selected due to fuel rail pressure more of a cost saving IMHO that failed miserably. S&S and Industrial Injection was able to make a CP3 pump work on a MY19 MY20 and get the fuel rail pressure but FCA with millions of dollars and 100's of engineers at FCA and Cummins at there disposal couldn't get it done, Please.

Last edited:

BighornHDRam

Reaction score

Top Tier Gas Stations that do high volume Like Shell, Chevron, Costco, Kwik Trip you get the idea. Those mom and pop stores are the one's I avoid due possible water contamination that's what's known to kill the CP4.

Jacob

Reaction score
My 2019 runs fine. I guess the fuel pump could fail at any time. Who knows. So could anything. I could have a tire blowout. A rock hauler could swerve into my lane and flatten me. I just hook up my trailer and haul ass up and down hills grinning the whole time. No worries. I lived through the 6.0 ford days. Spent some time waiting for a wrecker. It's life. Now if the pump does blow up I will be pissed as anyone. Probably would trade it in lol.

Jacob

Reaction score
I would expect to be underwhelmed by any service update. If anything, they will upgrade the pumps as they fail. I can't imagine they will bring in everyone's running truck for a replacement. Who knows? I would probably replace mine with a cp3 whatever kit myself after the warranty is up.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Nobody knows how many have actually failed but I'm guessing it's still a pretty low percentage over all. Lets say they sold 500,000 Diesel trucks over those 2 years. 1% of those failed (5000 trucks). I think this is a high estimate but lets go with it.
It's a heck of a lot cheaper to fix those 5000 trucks @ $15K then to replace 500,000 trucks with a CP3 @ $3.5K.

If that number is even close so lets use the 500,000 as an example, if HD Rams sales for MY19 MY20 with the Cummins engine with the CP4.2 saved FCA at the time $100 per pump over purchasing a CP3 pump for same truck. That would be saving FCA at the time $50,000,000 in manufacturing costs for the CP4.2 pump over the CP3. Just wanted to show numbers as maybe why they did it.

Maybe the pump cost is less, maybe it's a bit more and maybe the units for 19-20 are far more also which would effect the total number as well. I've been in design manufacturing for well over 25 years and understand how part manufacturing works.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't see it that way as a temporary solution as the CP4.2 pump was selected due to fuel rail pressure more of a cost saving IMHO that failed miserably. S&S and Industrial Injection was able to make a CP3 pump work on a MY19 MY20 and get the fuel rail pressure but FCA with millions of dollars and 100's of engineers at FCA and Cummins at there disposal couldn't get it done, Please.
Lmao the S&S and Industrial are running their own design over pressured CP3 that is not a viable solution for a high production there also people who have done those swaps and had issues with fuel pressure afterwords …..

it was not about cost savings it was more about what Bosch could produce at the time…. You are very clueless if you think ram has anything to do with designing an injection pump as Cummins and Bosch have always worked together with Cummins designing the engine and Bosch supplying a fuel system for the engine design

i dont know where you are pulling the numbers out of your ass but they dont put nearly as much money, people and resources in to designing a truck as you think they do

You had bad luck twice (second failure was probably a dealer neglect issues with the first swap) we get it but thats not everyones experience, the Ford and GM truck running the CP4, CP4.1 for much longer than ram did there are tons of truck running the original pump with high millage…. We went through the same **** with the VP44 in the late 2nd gens it came down to the luck of the draw really

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Lmao the S&S and Industrial are running their own design over pressured CP3 that is not a viable solution for a high production there also people who have done those swaps and had issues with fuel pressure afterwords …..

it was not about cost savings it was more about what Bosch could produce at the time…. You are very clueless if you think ram has anything to do with designing an injection pump as Cummins and Bosch have always worked together with Cummins designing the engine and Bosch supplying a fuel system for the engine design

i dont know where you are pulling the numbers out of your ass but they dont put nearly as much money, people and resources in to designing a truck as you think they do

You had bad luck twice (second failure was probably a dealer neglect issues with the first swap) we get it but thats not everyones experience, the Ford and GM truck running the CP4, CP4.1 for much longer than ram did there are tons of truck running the original pump with high millage…. We went through the same **** with the VP44 in the late 2nd gens it came down to the luck of the draw really
I never said Ram had anything to do with designing the injection pump, so don't put words in my mouth. I only looked at this situation as one possible way as to why they installed the pump. So go ahead and put up your laughing tears again.

And yes it's possible that my second pump could of been due to dealer neglect but they won't fess up to it and Star ended up replacing it twice. It sucked having my truck down for 74 days for 2 pump replacements and driving loaner cars instead of my truck, I even had one of the trucks they gave me blow an EGR cooler that I had to take back during the first pump replacement.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If this thread goes off the rails, I will shut it down.

At this point, I have little tolerance for these continual rants and bickering from the same group of members.

Keep it civil.

usafakid09

Reaction score

Ford and GM have never ran anything other than a CP4.2. The .2 does not indicated version; it indicates the number of pistons. VW diesels run a single piston CP4. GM, Ram, and Ford all had the CP4.2.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ford and GM have never ran anything other than a CP4.2. The .2 does not indicated version; it indicates the number of pistons. VW diesels run a single piston CP4. GM, Ram, and Ford all had the CP4.2.
I know the .1/.2 means piston count but i though i had read somwhere they ran the single piston units i guess i was mistaken o well

exiledinaz

Reaction score
I never said Ram had anything to do with designing the injection pump, so don't put words in my mouth. I only looked at this situation as one possible way as to why they installed the pump. So go ahead and put up your laughing tears again.

And yes it's possible that my second pump could of been due to dealer neglect but they won't fess up to it and Star ended up replacing it twice. It sucked having my truck down for 74 days for 2 pump replacements and driving loaner cars instead of my truck, I even had one of the trucks they gave me blow an EGR cooler that I had to take back during the first pump replacement.
When I contacted Cummins with my CP4 concerns, this was there reply........."
Edward,

You would need to address your concerns with Dodge at 1-866-932-3878. Per our contract with Dodge, they purchase the engines without warranty so that they can modify them. As well as they provide all technical and financial support for the engines.

Thank you for contacting Cummins.

Mechelle
Cummins Care Senior Analyst

The email sounded like to me they were taking no credit for the CP4 and kissed it off on Dodge.... Just saying..

SR#: 1-108352403813

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
When I contacted Cummins with my CP4 concerns, this was there reply........."
Edward,

You would need to address your concerns with Dodge at 1-866-932-3878. Per our contract with Dodge, they purchase the engines without warranty so that they can modify them. As well as they provide all technical and financial support for the engines.

Thank you for contacting Cummins.

Mechelle
Cummins Care Senior Analyst

The email sounded like to me they were taking no credit for the CP4 and kissed it off on Dodge.... Just saying..

SR#: 1-108352403813
Well it was Dodge (RAM). Who chose the CP4 so yea they put the blame where it belongs

UglyViking

Reaction score
Well it was Dodge (RAM). Who chose the CP4 so yea they put the blame where it belongs
I've heard that, and I don't doubt it since Cummins is still running the CP3 in their crate engines, but I've yet to see any hard data on it.

Users who are viewing this thread