Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 pending service solution discussion thread

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I already got tired of waiting on Ram/Stellantis over this so called "Service Solution" and ordered a 2022 3500 Bighorn in August to replace my 2019 2500 that has had 2 CP4 pump replacements already.

I will give you my prediction over how I think this so called "Service Solution" is going to be presented. Ram/Stellantis has been spending these last 6 months during these troubling times gathering as many parts as possible of part #R8545068AA CP4 kit all the while telling us there is a solution in the works. Also trying to reduce the cost of the kit with remanufactured injectors from failed CP4 pumps already, so when your pump fails at the most inconvenient time leaving you stranded. They will then have parts in stock to send out to your dealer to get you back up and running as fast as possible with another CP4 and remanufactured injectors, NOT a CP3 conversion from a MY21 or MY22 as some hope they would.

This is just my opinion so don't flame me for it as I think this how how the "Service Solution" will unfold this month or whenever they release it. I have moved on from the 19-20 trucks and wished I had bought the Power Wagon that day instead of the Diesel back in 2019.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
I already got tired of waiting on Ram/Stellantis over this so called "Service Solution" and ordered a 2022 3500 Bighorn in August to replace my 2019 2500 that has had 2 CP4 pump replacements already.

I will give you my prediction over how I think this so called "Service Solution" is going to be presented. Ram/Stellantis has been spending these last 6 months during these troubling times gathering as many parts as possible of part #R8545068AA CP4 kit all the while telling us there is a solution in the works. Also trying to reduce the cost of the kit with remanufactured injectors from failed CP4 pumps already, so when your pump fails at the most inconvenient time leaving you stranded. They will then have parts in stock to send out to your dealer to get you back up and running as fast as possible with another CP4 and remanufactured injectors, NOT a CP3 conversion from a MY21 or MY22 as some hope they would.

This is just my opinion so don't flame me for it as I think this how how the "Service Solution" will unfold this month or whenever they release it. I have moved on from the 19-20 trucks and wished I had bought the Power Wagon that day instead of the Diesel back in 2019.
Just out of curiousity, why did you choose to get a new Ram instead of doing the CP3 swap?

UglyViking

Reaction score
Used truck values $$$
Sure… but new truck prices are also insanely high, not to mention that with the chip shortage it's taking forever for trucks to hit dealer lots or fulfill orders. I suppose if it's close to a wash it would make sense.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, why did you choose to get a new Ram instead of doing the CP3 swap?
I currently travel in Northern Wisconsin to a VA that is pretty remote in a few section for about 30 miles with very low traffic during the winter with ZERO cell coverage, I could not take a chance at another winter wondering if the CP4 is going to let loose again in one of those area's when it's -20° -30° out leaving me to freeze to death hoping for someone to come buy or waiting on Ram customer care to send the tow rig out. So I ordered a 2022 3500 from Mark Dodge at a saving of 11.5% off msrp minus my 2019 and getting into a 2022 is only going to cost me about 5k in the end so it made sense to move to a new truck leaving this headache in my rear view mirror.

I did not want to do a CP3 conversion and void my warranty and getting a new truck gives me a brand new warranty and a CP3 to boot and nothing to worry about plus I wanted to make a switch from a 2500 to a 3500 for payload capacity. Sorry to leave you 19-20 owners behind, but that was my thoughts on the service solution and I decided I was not waiting for them to drag this out any longer. I did not want a Ford as I had a 2017 Superduty Platinum Diesel and hated the flat hard seats in it and can't stand Chevy/GMC so I ordered another Ram.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
I currently travel in Northern Wisconsin to a VA that is pretty remote in a few section for about 30 miles with very low traffic during the winter with ZERO cell coverage, I could not take a chance at another winter wondering if the CP4 is going to let loose again in one of those area's when it's -20° -30° out leaving me to freeze to death hoping for someone to come buy or waiting on Ram customer care to send the tow rig out. So I ordered a 2022 3500 from Mark Dodge at a saving of 11.5% off msrp minus my 2019 and getting into a 2022 is only going to cost me about 5k in the end so it made sense to move to a new truck leaving this headache in my rear view mirror.

I did not want to do a CP3 conversion and void my warranty and getting a new truck gives me a brand new warranty and a CP3 to boot and nothing to worry about plus I wanted to make a switch from a 2500 to a 3500 for payload capacity. Sorry to leave you 19-20 owners behind, but that was my thoughts on the service solution and I decided I was not waiting for them to drag this out any longer. I did not want a Ford as I had a 2017 Superduty Platinum Diesel and hated the flat hard seats in it and can't stand Chevy/GMC so I ordered another Ram.
Understandable. I've thought a few times about doing a trade in to give a megacab a try or a dually but decided against it, at least as of now. I am pretty jealous of the 22s getting the new uconnect 5, wireless android wireless is pretty awesome.

Xflight29

Reaction score

Yet you stayed with Ram. Why ?

PRS

Reaction score

I respect your thoughts but in my opinion this doesn't make sense. Most examples of pump failures include replacing most of the parts in the fuel system, and cleaning the debris from the tank. The cost has been listed as anywhere between $12k-$20k. For warranty to go through all that expense only to put rebuilt injectors in and another grenade exposes them to the same costs all over again. With the CP3 conversion kits being in the $3.5k range in the public market, why would they continue to expose themselves to the much higher failure costs? Just my .02.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I respect your thoughts but in my opinion this doesn't make sense. Most examples of pump failures include replacing most of the parts in the fuel system, and cleaning the debris from the tank. The cost has been listed as anywhere between $12k-$20k. For warranty to go through all that expense only to put rebuilt injectors in and another grenade exposes them to the same costs all over again. With the CP3 conversion kits being in the $3.5k range in the public market, why would they continue to expose themselves to the much higher failure costs? Just my .02.

Nobody knows how many have actually failed but I'm guessing it's still a pretty low percentage over all. Lets say they sold 500,000 Diesel trucks over those 2 years. 1% of those failed (5000 trucks). I think this is a high estimate but lets go with it.
It's a heck of a lot cheaper to fix those 5000 trucks @ $15K then to replace 500,000 trucks with a CP3 @ $3.5K.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Go and look at the fuel injector parts #'s for a 2019 and 2020 part #25 R8444791AA, R8504672AA are remanufactured injectors in the link, they are different from a 2018, with these trucks so new where did they get the remanufactured injectors from. My bet from failed CP4 pumps as they have a core charge when you order them. And there is nothing saying Ram can't send the rails/ injectors/ injector tubes/ steel lines/ fuel tanks back to the manufactures for a thorough cleaning and inspection process to cut cost and put them back into service.

Now I could be way wrong on the service solution but if I'm right well I told you here first, but they have been telling us the end of the 3rd quarter. What are they going to wait until the very last day of September to release something, what's wrong with releasing it early as all we get is something is coming by the end of the 3rd quarter. Today is September 11 what a perfect day to release it.

My 2019 just has to make it till my 2022 shows up so I can unload it.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
These CP4 pumps appear to be a ticking time bomb. I would be a nervous wreck every time I went camping, wondering if I would make it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
These CP4 pumps appear to be a ticking time bomb. I would be a nervous wreck every time I went camping, wondering if I would make it.
There are minimal reports of failures so why would you lose sleep over it lmao…

Firebird

Reaction score
Fortunately, I won't, as I have a CP3 2021, but this topic seems to dominate so much of the Cummins discussion these days

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Fortunately, I won't, as I have a CP3 2021, but this topic seems to dominate so much of the Cummins discussion these days
Only because the few people who have had an issue keep bringing it up….

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I don't get it, if there where this magical minimal reports of failures, then why is RAM providing a "Service Solution" to fix it if it's not that big a deal.

If it was not an issue than Ram would of just kept rolling with the Symmetrical CP4 in MY21 MY22 and so on as cost of a CP4 is way cheaper than a CP3 to produce. But they secretly rolled out the MY21 trucks and low and behold a CP3 was installed on them.

Last edited:

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I hope Ram's "Service Solution" is a bullet proof fix for the MY19 MY20 trucks for you guys but we will see when it comes out what it is, I just could not wait over it and ordered a 2022 3500. I also wanted a 3500 for more payload and have always loved the Ram products. I was just disappointed that my 2019 truck had 2 pump replacements with under 9700 miles under it's belt. Since the install of Symmetrical pump it has been good for 11k miles with no issues but I only buy diesel at the top tier fuel places and keep all receipts just in case.

I have just been patiently waiting for my 2022 3500 Bighorn to be built to finally be back in the CP3 club again and not have to worry about this again. I feel for you guys that can't switch to a newer truck and are stuck with the MY19 MY20 trucks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope Ram's "Service Solution" is a bullet proof fix for the MY19 MY20 trucks for you guys but we will see when it comes out what it is, I just could not wait over it and ordered a 2022 3500. I also wanted a 3500 for more payload and have always loved the Ram products, I was just disappointed that my 2019 truck had 2 pump failures with under 9700 miles under it's belt. Since the install of Symmetrical pump it has been good for 11k miles with no issues but I only buy diesel at the top tier fuel places and keep all receipts just in case.

I have just been patiently waiting for my 2022 3500 Bighorn to be built to finally be back in the CP3 club again and not have to worry about this again. I feel for you guys that can't switch to a newer truck and are stuck with the MY19 MY20 trucks.

Yea, we get it already.

Users who are viewing this thread