Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp4 injector pump Failure

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I do have the updated large simple CP4. My truck has a build date of 10/20.

I assume I’d be under the same conditions as anyone else. I’ve read some horror stories that’s for sure. I’m nervous about it but at this point I’ve already pulled the trigger on the truck and there isn’t anything I can do. I’m gonna try not to worry but will admit I kinda wish I’d waited on the ‘21 model.

I am in the exact same boat. 7/20 build with the newer CP4 (large dimple) and very very nervous and unhappy about the situation. I kind of feel like most of us with 2019-2020 models are going to pay a heavy price down the road either on residual value (they'll be seen as the "bad" cummins) or by losing the motor outside of warranty.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
He is referring to the CP4 with the Large Dimple on it up near the top. The dimple denotes it as the revised CP4 with the symmetrical pump. Those were released sometime in Sept/Oct 2020.

They were released at least as early as July. I have a July build with one.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
At least y'all have the dimple. At this point I'd be happy to see them TSB or recall my asym glitter bomb to the dimple as there still hasn't been a reported failure of one yet. That would be a quick swap and tune flash job for FCA vs everything that probably goes into the CP3.x swap.

Would I prefer the newest 21 pump? Sure. At the very least I'd like a dimple and would consider that a good faith move by FCA that they're focused on a resolution.

I'd put the odds at:

Do nothing = 75%
Dimple recall for Asym pumps when inventory catches back up = 20%
2021 CP3.x swap = 5%

Last edited:

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
Updated, large CP4?
58118887-4400-43DA-A407-D20D51615964.jpeg

The larger dimple on the upper right of the pump housing indicates the newer pump design per the info on this site. I’m hopeful it solves the issue. As far as I’m concerned no news regarding these pumps failing is good news. I love the truck as of 500 miles it runs strong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
They were released at least as early as July. I have a July build with one.
Thanks. I actually had July in there and changed it when I proofread it before posting. I confuse myself sometimes I guess.

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
At least y'all have the dimple. At this point I'd be happy to see them TSB or recall my asym glitter bomb to the dimple as there still hasn't been a reported failure of one yet. That would be a quick swap and tune flash job for FCA vs everything that probably goes into the CP3.x swap.

Would I prefer the newest 21 pump? Sure. At the very least I'd like a dimple and would consider that a good faith move by FCA that they're focused on a resolution.

I'd put the odds at:

Do nothing = 75%
Dimple recall for Asym pumps when inventory catches back up = 20%
2021 CP3.x swap = 5%
Agree with all these trucks are far from cheap like to see some resolution for all affected.

Yillbs

Reaction score
What product are you using for fuel treatment? Thanks.
This entire thread seems to be a bit confusing. People are saying ram / Chrysler may be denying warranties because of fuel additives, but then other people are saying to use them. Seems a bit strange?

cashflow44

Reaction score
This entire thread seems to be a bit confusing. People are saying ram / Chrysler may be denying warranties because of fuel additives, but then other people are saying to use them. Seems a bit strange?
I am going to read all the fine print on my warranty and try to respond back with my findings. This is ridiculous. Haha

delmoniCO

Reaction score
I think the fuel related denials are related to water in the fuel sample. I wouldn't worry about using a well regarded fuel additive like HSS or Power Service (specifically recommended by Cummins).

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The manual states "not recommended". Some randos on the Internet are not going to be able to give you an answer of what will happen in your case. They won't be there to answer the service advisor and they won't be there when you have to get a lawyer to fight it. Nobody here is going to be able to say you can use them without trouble.

"Magnusson-Moss!". Yeah. Let me tell you how that'll probably go:

Service advisor: Void foo.
Customer: Magnusson-Moss!
Service advisor: Here, contact this number and take it up with them; 1-800-VOID-FOO
FCA/STAR: Void foo.
Customer: Magnusson-Moss!
FCA/STAR: Void foo. See you in court. We have lawyers on retainer. Be ready with your pile of money to fight us and in the end we'll probably settle, buy back with depreciation, scrap the truck for parts, and probably get your money again plus more on the 2021 instead.

delmoniCO

Reaction score
The manual states "not recommended".

??

Pages 235, 475, 483 of my manual:
"If climatized or diesel Number 1 ULSD fuel is not available, and you are operating below (20°F/-6°C), in sustained arctic conditions, Mopar® Premium Diesel Fuel Treatment (or equivalent) is recommended to avoid gelling"

Mopar premium diesel fuel additive is formulated to:

• Increase Cetane rating by 2 - 5 points
  • Remove injector deposits
  • Lubricate fuel pump and injectors
  • Improve cold temperature flow
  • Stabilize fuel when vehicle is in storage

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
Pretty much decided I’m not running any additives. I’ll fuel at a reputable filling station and keep my tank full as possible.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 9856

The larger dimple on the upper right of the pump housing indicates the newer pump design per the info on this site. I’m hopeful it solves the issue. As far as I’m concerned no news regarding these pumps failing is good news. I love the truck as of 500 miles it runs strong.
Why does everyone keep posting this same image in the thread? I think everyone has seen it.

At least scale it down to a reasonable size.

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
Why does everyone keep posting this same image in the thread? I think everyone has seen it.

At least scale it down to a reasonable size.
I just snapped a pic of mine. Seemed there was some confusion as to which Was which.

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
IMHO that's a gamble in Idaho winters.

I use HSS DWAG in the Colorado mountains.
I’m in the treasure valley winters are relatively mild. Teens for lows at worst very rare single digits and generally not for extended periods. At most I’d plug in the block heaters night.

steve49

Reaction score
I agree with delmoniCO I haven't seen anything in the owners manual that states a fuel additive is "not recommended", and the Mopar brand fuel additive reads the same benefits as any other brand marketed! If FCA doesn't recommended fuel additives I doubt they would market one with their brand name on it and recommend using it or others equal in their owners manual.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Page 413:
In addition, commercially available fuel additives are not necessary for the proper operation of your Cummins diesel engine.

Page 458:
In addition, commercially available fuel additives are not necessary for the proper operation of your Cummins diesel engine. However, if seasonably adjusted fuel is not
available and you are operating below 20°F (-6°C), Mopar Premium Diesel Fuel Treatment (or equivalent) may be beneficial to avoid fuel gelling.

I'm in Arizona, and everywhere else that's cold has "seasonably adjusted fuel" available. I don't care if you use them or not, and I won't say whether I do or not, but again, if a dealer doesn't want the low paying high hour job of a fuel system replacement, I could see them citing this.

If you do use them, just say you used the MOPAR ones if they say you did use additives.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What product are you using for fuel treatment? Thanks.

Currently using XPD.

Considering HSS.

Top two products for lubricity. HSS just seems more complex to get a good combination of lubricity and anti-gel. XPD is simpler but more $ per fill.

Users who are viewing this thread