Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp4 injector pump Failure

Xflight29

Reaction score
Never heard them turning down the repairs. Is there more to the story? Don't make sense.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
900 miles and only filled twice. If they told me they weren't going to cover it I would be sitting near their dealership with protest signs and the local news!

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I am curious if they were using a fuel additive. And if so, was it part of the basis for denying the coverage. That defies reason but the thought is scary. Is it better to roll the dice and not add additives during the warranty period? I am also curious if is the newer symmetrical 4.2 pump design.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I wouldn't mention anything about additives here or anywhere else until the issue is "resolved". The thing is, using them might prevent them from spending the money to have to fix it in the first place. If you are FCA however, you can't just come out and say, "So we built you a defective product under the pretense of reliability. Yeah....so, it's not. We're going to have to ask you to come out of pocket for a third party substance to make sure we don't have to fix it later. How often you ask? Oh, no biggie, just EVERY TANK OF FUEL FOR LIFE!" lol

Dwilly

Reaction score
Seems a lot of these failures happen during towing. I seriously hope that since I only carry my 250lb body and a set of golf clubs(sometimes) that I avoid this catastrophe. 26,000km trouble free so far.

ironmike

Reaction score
Just saw this... I typed this in search engine, " will diesel treatment void fuel system warranty?"
This is what came up.

"Engine warranties are only voided if it can be shown that an aftermarket additive caused damage to the engine. Adding an aftermarket additive does not, in and of itself, void the engine warranty."

I understand FCA has stated "Fuel contamination" as their excuse/reason denying coverage for such failures. How does adding lubricity constitute contamination to causing the pump failure?
Then there's this..
The US Government recognized the “restraint of trade” situation being created by the engine manufacturers against fuel additive suppliers and in 1975 passed the Magnuson-Moss Act. This legislation (among other things) makes it illegal for any equipment manufacturer to void a warranty because an equipment buyer uses a fuel additive.

In order for an engine manufacturer to void the engine warranty because of an additive, the engine manufacturer must “prove the additive caused the problem” determined by that engine manufacturer as a reason to void the warranty. This is a very expensive undertaking and the reason engine manufacturers discourage the use of any fuel additive during the warranty period.

Generally, engine manufacturers do not specifically say they will void the equipment warranty if a buyer uses an additive. But, the engine manufacturer’s inference to equipment buyers regarding not using additives is clear AND it is still illegal.

The Magnuson-Moss Act also makes it illegal for an engine manufacturer to advise an equipment buyer that he can “only” use a fuel additive that is sold by the engine manufacturer. This is defined in the Act as a “tie-in sales provision” and also is “restraint of trade” and “illegal”.

So how is FCA proving their claims for denials everyone is having?
So, how is FCA able to deny warranty coverage if the pumps are defective based on design, NOT a lubricity additive being the cause of the pump failure? I have 9000 miles on my 2020 3500 HO and am SUPER nervous about this travesty of FCA's attitude or customer service I've been seeing as the consensus across numerous RAM forums....

I'm just trying to stay or get ahead of this curve...
What y'all think?

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
My approach will be to try to fuel up consistently at the same reputable station (chevron). Avoid running on a low tank. And hope for the best.
Ive never been a big believer in additives and use them only occasionally. Perhaps I’ll step that up a bit maybe throw some in on heavy tow trips.

ironmike

Reaction score
My approach will be to try to fuel up consistently at the same reputable station (chevron). Avoid running on a low tank. And hope for the best.
Ive never been a big believer in additives and use them only occasionally. Perhaps I’ll step that up a bit maybe throw some in on heavy tow trips.
If you still have a factory or extended warranty still in effect, would you think you will be susceptible to a denial of repairs if you ever used additives and your cp4 failed? Assuming you DO have a cp4 based on thread..

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
I do have the updated large simple CP4. My truck has a build date of 10/20.

I assume I’d be under the same conditions as anyone else. I’ve read some horror stories that’s for sure. I’m nervous about it but at this point I’ve already pulled the trigger on the truck and there isn’t anything I can do. I’m gonna try not to worry but will admit I kinda wish I’d waited on the ‘21 model.

ironmike

Reaction score

I assume I’d be under the same conditions as anyone else. I’ve read some horror stories that’s for sure. I’m nervous about it but at this point I’ve already pulled the trigger on the truck and there isn’t anything I can do. I’m gonna try not to worry but will admit I kinda wish I’d waited on the ‘21 model.
Ditto that, I am in same boat.. I have the 10yr 150,000 mile warranty and i'd hate to be taken advantage of if a failure happened due to their inferior design compared to the CP3. Also i just received the bulletin about the pcm update to apparently fix the CP4 problem but it doesn't address the bad design pump replacement, just reprogram of the pcm... go figure..

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ditto that, I am in same boat.. I have the 10yr 150,000 mile warranty and i'd hate to be taken advantage of if a failure happened due to their inferior design compared to the CP3. Also i just received the bulletin about the pcm update to apparently fix the CP4 problem but it doesn't address the bad design pump replacement, just reprogram of the pcm... go figure..

I believe you're referring to the TSB about using the correct code for either the asym or sym (big dimple) pump. It's not about any particular "update" or "CP4 problem."

ironmike

Reaction score
I believe you're referring to the TSB about using the correct code for either the asym or sym (big dimple) pump. It's not about any particular "update" or "CP4 problem."
Yes. And i just saw the thread with the 2021 built with the CP3. Nice! And the response from Kathryn from Ramcare. Even Better? :) I just hope they get ahead of these failures before having to replace all fuel system components..

Yillbs

Reaction score

Updated, large CP4?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Updated, large CP4?
He is referring to the CP4 with the Large Dimple on it up near the top. The dimple denotes it as the revised CP4 with the symmetrical pump. Those were released sometime in Sept/Oct 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread