Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp4 injector pump Failure

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
My 19 bighorn has been sitting at the dealership for nearly a month with this issue. They started a “star case” for my truck and have sent everything required to FCA but they will not respond. I even called customer care and was assigned a “case manager” that has no pull whatsoever and has been avoiding my calls. I put in a request for his boss to contact me and still have heard nothing a week later. I guess it’s time to send out some certified letters and lawyer up! I need my truck to pull heavy equipment and the dealership gave me a 2wd 1500 as a loaner.
Something tells me now that you have posted on this forum things will be moving along soon.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these CP4 failures are covered only under the 3YR/36,000mi basic warranty or the 5YR/100,000mi powertrain warranty? I'm thinking about doing the Industrial Injection or S&S CP3 conversion but I don't want to loose warranty on other things because of it.

5/100K. FCA is hoping you make the switch.

Xflight29

Reaction score
My 19 bighorn has been sitting at the dealership for nearly a month with this issue. They started a “star case” for my truck and have sent everything required to FCA but they will not respond. I even called customer care and was assigned a “case manager” that has no pull whatsoever and has been avoiding my calls. I put in a request for his boss to contact me and still have heard nothing a week later. I guess it’s time to send out some certified letters and lawyer up! I need my truck to pull heavy equipment and the dealership gave me a 2wd 1500 as a loaner.
OMG I cant even imagine not getting any response from from any dealer. I would have gotten a lawyer after first week. good luck to you sir.

Xflight29

Reaction score
What will be your conclusion if you don't get a response
I think its a question that cant be answered. Was hoping to put peoples anxieties to rest including my own by showing trucks with higher mileage .

Huck32

Reaction score
Just left the dealership yet again after speaking to the service manager, my service advisor and the technician. All three of them showed me where they have sent(multiple times) FCA all of the documents that they have requested in order to approve my repair. Every time I have talked to FCA customer care they lied and told me they were waiting on documents from the dealership. I’m just getting the run around from FCA now.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Just left the dealership yet again after speaking to the service manager, my service advisor and the technician. All three of them showed me where they have sent(multiple times) FCA all of the documents that they have requested in order to approve my repair. Every time I have talked to FCA customer care they lied and told me they were waiting on documents from the dealership. I’m just getting the run around from FCA now.
Time to mention the L words: lawyer and lemon.

Relentless

Reaction score
If there is no commonalities between these failures, and they are "mostly" happening at lower mileage, then I would gather that it appears to be a quality control issue.

Also, these failures could be the result of multiple sources as well. Not all identical outcomes are from the same sources.

The majority of the low mileage failures could be do to quality control, and then the outliers with high mileage, etc, failed for other reasons and is getting thrown into this same "failure count" kind of like what they did with covid

nivanov30

Reaction score
Here's some facts that make the CP4 story look bad:
- According to a lawsuit with Ford/GM on CP4 the failure rate is ~7%. I don't know how that has been calculated but having almost 1 our of 10 fail is scary and unacceptable.
- Even bigger problem is that CP4 failure typically leads to $15k-$20k repairs - there are very few possible failures in modern cars - ever - that could cause such damage.
- The extent of the damage and the work/parts involved guarantees the delay of at least 6 weeks for the diagnostics, approval and repairs.
- The type of damage that CP4 sustains from insufficient lubricity is NOT accumulative but rather immediate, i.e. s single fill-up with a bad fuel can cause CP4 to start sending metal shavings down the fuel pipeline and further "good" fuel fill-ups will not correct this situation.

Sadly, this CP4 eliminated RAM Cummins from my purchasing (having owned 2 other FCA products - Jeep & 1500).

nivanov30

Reaction score
To my knowledge not a single product from either Ford or GM uses CP4 since 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 80

GM uses Denso. I have seen nothing to indicate Ford stopped using it, and youtuber Tow Piglet put up a video stating one of his 2020 Fords lost a CP4, and is down waiting for parts, same as Ram.

ks_disc_life

Reaction score
14,014 miles and my CP4 has not had any issues. I do keep all of my receipts and mostly use my 2019 HO Ram 3500 for pulling my 5th wheel. In addition, I have the EFS card and get 95% of my diesel at TA or Love's in the trucker lanes. Also I use hot shot secrets for every tank. Fingers crossed.

nivanov30

Reaction score
Stand corrected, Ford still uses CP4.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Talked to a dude on FB that had a CP4 take a dump and got warranty denied for using an AutoZone filter. He came back with Magnuson-Moss and then they changed their story to fuel contamination. He contacted insurance and they didn't cover. He's doing a CP3 swap and doing the fix himself now I guess.

It got me to look into and add Mechanical Breakdown Insurance on my Geico policy though. Basically got them to tell me that as long as you didn't purposely attempt to sabotage your rig, and were just a victim of crap fuel lottery they would cover it for $250.00 deductible. Added $3.32/mo to my policy for my (2) new vehicles. With Geico, you have to add it before the vehicle is 15 months or 15,000 miles old and once on it you can renew for 7 years/100,000 miles.

Will it guarantee a work around of the FCA kangaroo warranty court for their defective BS part? No. However, it is another piece of wood to chop at with your axe and another checked box on the piece of mind sheet.

EDIT: I should add one of the attractive feature of it is that you can use your own shop. So unlike a spendy MaxCare plan or the factory warranty, you're not at the mercy of a shady stealership and their "my way or nothing" attitude (if they have one).

Last edited:

Squatch

Reaction score
Shoot, for the price of a star bucks coffee a month, even if it doesn’t pan out in the end, oh well, worth a try.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
That's what I figured. For both my RAM and my wife's 2020 Traverse, I've essentially got a 7 year/100,000mi powertrain warranty for the total price of $278.88 if they don't increase it throughout (still can't imagine the coverage being anywhere near the thousands of the factory stuff even if they do).

Springfield40

Reaction score
Bought my First New ram 3500 in August 2019 Here it is June 2020 , 7310 miles later and the cp4 pump went out Truck has Been there for a month , Just Now was told By Chrysler that they're Expediting a pump from Canada So Another 2 weeks Told them I would like a Buy back and was Basically told Sorry we'll fix it & Your own your Own. SO with that said any way to prevent this in the Future as far as the fuel pump Goes or Just dump it and Go back to an 06 like I Had.
Was this problem covered under warranty? I've heard stories about not being covered because of contaminated fuel even if its from the metal shavings from the failed pump. Sounds ridiculous but wouldn't hold it past a dealership to try and weasel out of it. We just bought a 2020 a couple months ago and now just finding this out.

Users who are viewing this thread