Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

corona virus 2.0

Bottomfeeder

Reaction score
Yes we all should be vigilant...but a little perspective please
Jan 1- April 8
3,508,988 Communicable disease deaths this year
131,446 Seasonal flu deaths this year
2,054,583 Deaths of children under 5 this year
83,547 Deaths of mothers during birth this year
454,395 Deaths caused by HIV/AIDS this year
2,219,972 Deaths caused by cancer this year
265,135 Deaths caused by malaria this year
1,351,250 Deaths caused by smoking this year
676,051 Deaths caused by alcohol this year
289,858 Suicides this year
And 88,403 deaths by corona virus

Squatch

Reaction score
CDC is currently reporting between 24,000 to 64,000 flu deaths this year, I don’t plan on checking out your other numbers, mainly because I don’t really care to, but where did you get this? off Facebook or something?

Bottomfeeder

Reaction score
CDC is currently reporting between 24,000 to 64,000 flu deaths this year, I don’t plan on checking out your other numbers, mainly because I don’t really care to, but where did you get this? off Facebook or something?

Facebook really? you do facebook?, lets say I got it off "or something"...... https://www.worldometers.info/ Worldometer's data is used by Johns Hopkins CSSE, Financial Times, The New York Times, Business Insider, Oxford University Press, Wiley, Pearson, CERN, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), The Atlantic, BBC, Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science & Technology, Science Museum of Virginia, Morgan Stanley, IBM, Hewlett Packard, Dell, Kaspersky, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Amazon Alexa, Google Translate, and many others.

Also if you would have taken the time to check, CDC numbers are only for the U.S......the worldometer is a global number.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shi

MikeXM

Reaction score
I'm at chance to die from many things. Just like any of you all. But just because I catch the virus I have 5% chance of dying? That is actually an insanely high number.

Flu kills a lot of people every year because so many people gets it. Only 0.1% will die. And most of them will be way over 80yo.

This thing is different and is killing healthy people of all age.

Got a cousin who's under a respirator since over a week. Doesn't look good.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Want another statistic? Spanish flu, the great killer, had a mortality rate of 2.5%. And it killed between 50 to 100 millions people.

This thing sits at over 5% right now. Good thing we are trying to control the spread.

Reactions: Shi

Squatch

Reaction score
Facebook really? you do facebook?, lets say I got it off "or something"...... https://www.worldometers.info/ Worldometer's data is used by Johns Hopkins CSSE, Financial Times, The New York Times, Business Insider, Oxford University Press, Wiley, Pearson, CERN, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), The Atlantic, BBC, Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science & Technology, Science Museum of Virginia, Morgan Stanley, IBM, Hewlett Packard, Dell, Kaspersky, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Amazon Alexa, Google Translate, and many others.

Also if you would have taken the time to check, CDC numbers are only for the U.S......the worldometer is a global number.
I don’t use Facebook and I was just talking the US. Didn’t know you were talking, whole wide world.

Squatch

Reaction score
It isn’t every year that healthcare systems get brought to their knees, and physicians having to decide who out of multiple people who need a vent should get one because there are not enough. Making the decision of who’s family member should just go on comfort care so the person who has a slightly better chance can get that vent. It may be bad that people can’t get toilet paper, but the hospital I work at can’t even get ahold of adequate supplies of the drugs we need to treat these people. So it is not the final death tally that matters, it is the unexpected hit our healthcare systems are taking that we weren’t ready to absorb. Staying at home is a way of giving our hospitals a fighting chance at giving the people who do get sick a fighting chance. I have to go work at a hospital every day and bring home the fear that I will get my family sick, or get sick myself. I know the odds are on my side as an individual, but this is a big deal.

Bottomfeeder

Reaction score
I'm at chance to die from many things. Just like any of you all. But just because I catch the virus I have 5% chance of dying? That is actually an insanely high number.

Flu kills a lot of people every year because so many people gets it. Only 0.1% will die. And most of them will be way over 80yo.

This thing is different and is killing healthy people of all age.

Got a cousin who's under a respirator since over a week. Doesn't look good.
I am really sorry to hear about your cousin, hope he/she gets better., and you are right, this is something different, but unfortunately your mortality rate numbers of 5% don't match with what the experts say, a well respected site Medscape says it is, as it stands now at 1.4%, (which is still bad) you can read the reason why here: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927870
also many respected sites say we are still possibly way overstating the death rate, the World Economic Forum says the testing models are skewed. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...mating-the-death-rate-for-covid-19-heres-why/

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm taking this seriously and think it is important to social distance and follow all the protocols as well, but there is still too much that is unknown and most news sites give 24/7 worst case scenario.

Bottomfeeder

Reaction score
It isn’t every year that healthcare systems get brought to their knees, and physicians having to decide who out of multiple people who need a vent should get one because there are not enough. Making the decision of who’s family member should just go on comfort care so the person who has a slightly better chance can get that vent. It may be bad that people can’t get toilet paper, but the hospital I work at can’t even get ahold of adequate supplies of the drugs we need to treat these people. So it is not the final death tally that matters, it is the unexpected hit our healthcare systems are taking that we weren’t ready to absorb. Staying at home is a way of giving our hospitals a fighting chance at giving the people who do get sick a fighting chance. I have to go work at a hospital every day and bring home the fear that I will get my family sick, or get sick myself. I know the odds are on my side as an individual, but this is a big deal.

Amen to that! You don't have an easy job right now....you should get hazardous duty pay!

Squatch

Reaction score
Amen to that! You don't have an easy job right now....you should get hazardous duty pay!
I wish that I did get hazard pay, I am happy to be working though. I also wanted to say that you’re right, we will probably never know the true death rate of this disease because we will never know the true denominator in the equation. The vast majority of people have little to no symptoms, and are not tested. They are just acting as vectors between those that do get sick. It’s just devastating what it is doing to the older population and those with multi-morbidity. If we know anything for sure, keep the elderly in your family out of harms way.

Bottomfeeder

Reaction score
I wish that I did get hazard pay, I am happy to be working though. I also wanted to say that you’re right, we will probably never know the true death rate of this disease because we will never know the true denominator in the equation. The vast majority of people have little to no symptoms, and are not tested. They are just acting as vectors between those that do get sick. It’s just devastating what it is doing to the older population and those with multi-morbidity. If we know anything for sure, keep the elderly in your family out of harms way.
That is so true, we probably won't know, as you say the baseline number being used for the death rate is coming only from ones that are sick from the disease, it seems many more are walking around who have had it but were never tested and are asymptomatic, that of course would lower the mortality rate significantly.....but we just don't know yet,

Right now researchers at Stanford Medicine in Northern California are doing a study and thinking we here in California were exposed to the virus much sooner than originally thought, they think it came here in the fall of 2019, California is the #1 destination for Chinese tourists..8,000 a day coming to California with direct flights even from the epicenter in Wuhan.

We saw a big increase in what Doctors thought was the 'flu' and it started much earlier than normal... you can read it here. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Study-investigates-if-COVID-19-came-to-Calif-in-15187085.php

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

While I would agree if you felt the request could be construed as a bit off putting, wouldn't it have been easier to simply include your source in your original post instead of being a snarky a**hole when someone asked?

MikeXM

Reaction score
I am really sorry to hear about your cousin, hope he/she gets better., and you are right, this is something different, but unfortunately your mortality rate numbers of 5% don't match with what the experts say, a well respected site Medscape says it is, as it stands now at 1.4%, (which is still bad) you can read the reason why here: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927870
also many respected sites say we are still possibly way overstating the death rate, the World Economic Forum says the testing models are skewed. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...mating-the-death-rate-for-covid-19-heres-why/

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm taking this seriously and think it is important to social distance and follow all the protocols as well, but there is still too much that is unknown and most news sites give 24/7 worst case scenario.
My numbers are correct. It is simple math.

The 5% ratio is the number of deaths on the tested positive cases. It is actually at 5.8% right now (89,457 deaths on 1,529,254 tested positive). Use your calculator, you will see that it is right.

And this ratio will get much higher as most cases are still developing.

It means once you are tested positive, you have 5.8% chance of dying. For example, in Italy, that ratio is over 12%. Of course, your actual % changes in function of your age group.

A lot of people won't get tested as their symptoms are too mild or not present at all. That would lower the effective %. But, if you get tested and it turns out you are positive, that 5.8% applies to you. Get it now?

Don't confuse this number with the expected % of deaths on the overall population. It is not what I am saying.

Last edited:

Bottomfeeder

Reaction score
While I would agree if you felt the request could be construed as a bit off putting, wouldn't it have been easier to simply include your source in your original post instead of being a snarky a**hole when someone asked?
Look...I didn't come here to argue with you or anyone else and I certainly didn't intend to come across as a snarky A'hole, If Squatch feels I came across that way, I apologize to him.

I came to this site to learn the do's and don'ts and get new ideas about my new truck and discuss them with like-minded people and I have learned much already from reading the various threads.
But you are correct, If I would have mentioned at the get-go where those figures came from it would have been better.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted on this thread in a while and wanted to bring a little laughter to such a depressing topic. Im thankful for all the essential workers out there keeping our great country going. Im by know means supporting sending our kids back to school but I wanted to share this u- tube video that's went viral. I love it and we need more people just like the principle Dr hammer time. Hopefully yall like it and get a good belly laugh like i did.

ST3500

Reaction score
Have you guys heard the news ??
THE RUSSIANS HAVE A VACCINE !! (Not a joke )
Right on Comrades !! God bless Russia.
(Do you guys think that their vaccine sells with a complementary bottle of Vodka ??) :)

Users who are viewing this thread