Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constantly adjusting heat

g00fy

Reaction score
I have driven the truck very little since the repair, and I haven't needed the air conditioning.

I am going on a long road trip today. I will use Fireboard thermometers to log the temperature of all the vents to see if the temperature differential was resolved.

In this weather I don't even care about the AC, i'd just like it to regulate the heat properly. I've gotta keep it on 62 most of the time so it doesn't bake me outta the truck and even on 62 sometimes it'll continuously throw heat at me until i put it to LO to make it reasonable in the cab again.

thestuarts

Reaction score
In this weather I don't even care about the AC, i'd just like it to regulate the heat properly. I've gotta keep it on 62 most of the time so it doesn't bake me outta the truck and even on 62 sometimes it'll continuously throw heat at me until i put it to LO to make it reasonable in the cab again.

I dove for 9 hours in the past 2 days. The HVAC performed very well. I never had to adjust the temperature to correct the HVAC. I set the temperature and it just worked as expected. The driver's vents and the passenger vents were almost identical in temperature.

BUT... I have not tested it in a hot climate, yet.

g00fy

Reaction score
I dove for 9 hours in the past 2 days. The HVAC performed very well. I never had to adjust the temperature to correct the HVAC. I set the temperature and it just worked as expected. The driver's vents and the passenger vents were almost identical in temperature.

BUT... I have not tested it in a hot climate, yet.
Good to hear, what did you have the truck set to, and what were the ambient temperatures? I've also decided to schedule the TSB for my personal truck after seeing the big difference it made in blower performance in our 5500 delivery truck and seeing your thoughts on the behavior of the Automatic climate system.

Last edited:

baldphilly

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn 3.6L V6 with dual climate controls and have intermittent issues with the heat getting too hot and I mainly notice it in the winter when I use remote start. The majority of the time I keep my climate system set to sync for the dual zones. The outside temperature will be 40 or less and my hvac would be set to 65* and blows out 85*, set to 75* and blows out 100 *, and set it to HI and it blows out 140*. The only way I can get it to blow cool air is by setting it to LO and then it blows the 40 * air from outside. I measured the temperature using an infrared thermometer. I took a video one day while it was happening and showed it to the dealership. I have taken it in for this issue 2 or 3 times and of course each time I take it in they cannot duplicate the issue and say everything is operating as it should. Does anyone know what may be the issue? Thanks!

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Man ...this thread makes my head spin. My '19 3500 has the *identical* issue as described. In the morning time, any temp setting I set that is above "LO" results in hellfire being blown at me. Not 60, not 61, LO and only LO is able to be used. I thought I was going crazy (which may still be true). This thread at least convinced me I'm not making this up that it is a real issue. Where I love (Northern CA) morning temps right now are around 44-48 so we are not talking freezing conditions by any stretch. And I almost always remote start the truck and have it idle for a minute or two before driving.

What I struggle to understand is:

- Can I just request the TSB be done?
- How do I get a dealer/service dept to actually listen to me that there is a problem and not just give me the "works as intended" nonsense?

@baldphilly - you are not alone, you are virtually identical in your experience that I have.

baldphilly

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @jeffjcalweb. I was feeling crazy too because the dealer said they have never had anyone report this issue before. The fact that it can get so hot that you physically cannot place your hand in front of it definitely brings up concern for components melting. One of the times the dealership was looking at it and I'll be damned if I didn't find the same issue in the loaner Jeep Wrangler they gave me.

rok_hunter

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm so glad I found this thread and your posts.
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn ......
cmflyers, my 2019 Laramie is doing the exact same except that if I set the temp command to 64° or less, it'll blow cold. As soon as I set 65° or higher, I'm back to full hot. Of course it's an intermitted problem so the dealership can't replicate, although they did tell me "the lead tech had the same issue and replacing all four duct temp sensors fixed it" - and like you, that did not fix mine. I'm interested in how others were able to cajole their dealership into performing TSB 24-001-20?

thestuarts

Reaction score
cmflyers, my 2019 Laramie is doing the exact same except that if I set the temp command to 64° or less, it'll blow cold. As soon as I set 65° or higher, I'm back to full hot. Of course it's an intermitted problem so the dealership can't replicate, although they did tell me "the lead tech had the same issue and replacing all four duct temp sensors fixed it" - and like you, that did not fix mine. I'm interested in how others were able to cajole their dealership into performing TSB 24-001-20?

My dealership agreed to do the repair after I showed them the right driver's vent was 7 degrees warmer than the left passenger's vent which is the symptom described in the TSB.

Gazoo

Reaction score
Older thread, but I was just reading the manual on my 2022 2500 Laramie. If you use auto, it won’t blast cold air at you if the engine is also cold. It will gradually increase the fan as the engine warms up. (Use seat heaters)… what got me looking into this is how you can manually adjust the fan 7…6..5..4…3..2…1… but not to off! You have to open the comfort setting on touch screen and select “OFF”.

Jp306

Reaction score
Hello, Friends! My issue is just like that in Post #14, where I am getting scalding hot at any point except "LO". From this post, as well has some help on a Ram Facebook group, it sounds like the likely fix will be TSB 24-001-20. Before learning about the TSB, the dealership gave me the "it's normal operation" speech, which I argued but made no progress.

The TSB mentions the left center vent is warmer than the right vents. I was hoping someone knew exactly under what conditions this difference is seen (just using A/C, or at any set temp while in sync, etc) so that I can replicate it before I engage in further battle with the dealership. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

JimmyZ

Reaction score
I don’t remember the exact TSB it was but after taking my 2019 Ram 2500 to two different dealerships with the “it’s within spec’s BS” I printed the TSB and brought it to a third dealership ,this time a Hendrick and they replaced the BROKEN blend door in the dashboard. I just got assertive and it was fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread