Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Computer has technician locked out

BeachRam

Reaction score
2020 2500 Cummins 5k miles. Took truck to dealer to check on a Check Engine light. It was running. Apparently when Tech pulled code the Can Buss locked him out and report has no truck or computer numbers present and he can't communicate with the computer. Truck is dead. My apparent mistake is I had Alpha OBD for my 1500 Ram for tire size changes and I changed the body computer on my 2500 with Alpha OBD to prevent foglight dropout when the highbeams are on. Anybody ever experience Alpha OBD issues like this?

BeachRam

Reaction score
Yes, I never leave it in. I do the change and remove the cable. Thanks though.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

jadmt

Reaction score
hopefully they won't blame it on Alpha obd and void your warranty.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
haven't read about that happening anywhere.. good luck, though.

Pronto

Reaction score
Why do you think the changes you made are at fault?

BeachRam

Reaction score
Dealer has a tsb indicating changes with tuners are are likely cause. Also the only report they could pull up shows truck has a 2017 computer and 2018 software. Truck is 2020. When I made the change on the fog light change Alpha OBD defaulted to 2017 body computer which I thought was unusual but probably true since this truck really isn't a true 5th Gen, just a polished 4th Gen.

BeachRam

Reaction score
That was my reaction "ok just a shop charge" but they say they can't get the computer to accept a flash. Now it's some sort of technical request to FCA. What a cluster.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
that's odd. keep the thread updated on what they report to ya.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Optimal Welding offers recovery service for $250.

If you have a Cummins controller in a non responsive state, Locked or "bricked" it can still be repaired in most cases back to a fully functional state.

Sometimes while custom tuning the flash can be interrupted by the user or some hardware talking over the trucks can network at the wrong time. This will cause the flash to fail and the controller will not accept any new tune files.

We can't guarantee a recovery but we do have very high success rate with this service. If the controller is physically damaged we can't help with that but providing it's just a software issue we should have no problem repairing your unit.

If you have an ECM requiring recovery but its not listed in the dropdown menu send us an email. We can recover almost any Cummins controller.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I used AlfaOBD to change the BCM setting to prevent fog light dropout on my 2019 3500. The dealer has updated the PCM and TCM multiple times since I made the change to the BCM, and I haven't had any problems.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Optimal Welding offers recovery service for $250.

That looks like ECM recovery, to my knowledge Alfa does not make changes to the ECM (only a tuner can do that).

OP, there have been cases of people bricking the BCM with Alfa in the past but nothing a new flash did not fix. That's why it is really important to get before and after logs to compare and see what you might have accidentally changed.

Sounds like the dealer is convinced you tuned the truck so don't be shocked if they try and void your warranty on top of charging you to fix it, be prepared.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There was another thread here of a similar issue but the truck was running and brought to another dealer.

Case of an utterly incompetent dealer tech.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
plenty of reasons to mess with the factory settings. the key is to have the capability to get out of a given situation. not to leave the factory settings alone. :cool:

Pronto

Reaction score
Perfect reason not to mess with factory settings.
Is that a reason, yes. Perfect reason, no. For it to be a perfect reason, you'd first need to know that that was actually the cause of the problem, which I've not seen any evidence of other than the dealer's assertion and it's the first I've heard of something like this despite many people using AlfOBD. Second, there would have to be no benefit to making the modification. Basically a position where you have something to lose and nothing to gain would be a perfect reason not to do it. That ain't the case with using AlfaOBD.

Users who are viewing this thread