Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Column shifter boot wear

How many people would be interested in a better quality aftermarket column shift boot

• Total voters

roegs

Reaction score
If that one works, I'd be fine replacing mine every couple years for $10 each. I'll be interested in the process of getting it past the shift knob. Thanks for you're efforts!

IronByron

Reaction score
If that one works, I'd be fine replacing mine every couple years for $10 each. I'll be interested in the process of getting it past the shift knob. Thanks for you're efforts!
I will definitely update here how it goes and what is required to change.

IronByron

Reaction score
Well I found a part number finally but it only shows up under 2020 steering column parts. Since it's only around $10 I'm going to take the plunge and see if it fits. If it does I guess I will order a bunch and treat them like a consumable :(

68480815AA: Mopar Gear Shift Lever Boot
Finally got the shift lever boot and installed. Can confirm, 68480815AA is what you need. Seems to be made of similar material as the original that came on my 2019. So my hopes are not high that it won’t erode away again over the next 2 years. It was only around $10 and 15 minutes of my time. Not sure it was worth going to the dealer for warranty replacement.

Attachments

• D3024650-9B1D-41B5-A4A8-F7A6A1525ACE.jpeg
    D3024650-9B1D-41B5-A4A8-F7A6A1525ACE.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 91

roegs

Reaction score
Inquiring minds want to know....how did you remove the shift lever?

IronByron

Reaction score
Inquiring minds want to know....how did you remove the shift lever?
Just take the bolt holding it in off. It‘s on the bottom at the base of the shaft. Small 10mm wrench or T30 torx bit. That was the hardest part of the whole thing, you have about 10 to 20 degrees of wrench movement to work with. But not hard at all. One of these is pretty handy and it’s what I use to tighten up the play that shifter gets about once a year (I should just put some loctite on it next time).

Attachments

• 81CF4AF8-4868-4BA3-9ED5-7DBF883EEFEF.jpeg
    81CF4AF8-4868-4BA3-9ED5-7DBF883EEFEF.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 117

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got the shift lever boot and installed. Can confirm, 68480815AA is what you need. Seems to be made of similar material as the original that came on my 2019. So my hopes are not high that it won’t erode away again over the next 2 years. It was only around $10 and 15 minutes of my time. Not sure it was worth going to the dealer for warranty replacement.

Dorman parts. Pure chicom junk. Pretty sad that's what they're using.

Nd79

Reaction score
I might try and make my own shifter boot out of leather one day, possibly using the stick boot as a base. That's if I ever find the time haha.

CforHD

Reaction score
Any update on an aftermarket replacement? My 22MY is only 4mos old and the shift lever boot already looks like crap.

Nd79

Reaction score
The one I had replaced under warranty is already looking worse than the original. I hope there is a better aftermarket option soon, or I'll try stitching on some leather when I have time.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
  1. start a poll, see if there's interest (thread can be updated with a poll)
  2. contact vendor see if they'll offer a discount for xx number minimum
    1. Determine discount distribution method (code, email, order window, etc.) that can't be abused by non group buy folks.
    2. with a lower cost item like this, might be tough to get a discount worth the trouble
  3. start a google docs list and collect names
  4. Once met, obtain discount and distribute
Need a volunteer to run it.

CforHD

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased one these from StitchBoots.com yet?

I got the feeling that they're "one size fits all" which usually translates to "kinda fits". Also the black leather one looked more grayish in the photo. Wonder if a custom, dark black leather with white stitching could be made to match the Limited trim?

Would love to hear your feedback if you purchased & installed one of these.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased one these from StitchBoots.com yet?

I got the feeling that they're "one size fits all" which usually translates to "kinda fits". Also the black leather one looked more grayish in the photo. Wonder if a custom, dark black leather with white stitching could be made to match the Limited trim?

Would love to hear your feedback if you purchased & installed one of these.
She may have some universal products but she’s definitely capable and willing to make custom products.

I haven’t gotten one from her but I talked to her about making a set for my Toyota which is an oddball setup with four shift levers, two of which are twins.

She seemed easy to work with that’s why I recommended her. Somebody is going to have to send her measurements or an old boot to work with

I sent her this and she asked for measurements

8497635E-26A1-4362-87B3-F43B38D56EF6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread