Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold air intake throws check engine light

DustyLamborgini

Reaction score
After 30+K miles, I pulled my S&B filter completely off give it a good cleaning and oiling. Generally, I use a small shop vac and get as good of a cleaning as possible. I don’t run in a lot of dust or dirty areas….
Anyway, pulled it off. It was fairly clean for that many miles, did my thorough cleaning let it dry, and then oiled it. Put the filter back on and check engine light came on after about a days worth of driving.
Took it into the dealership, it’s throwing a turbo boost code, which I’m told is affiliated with the cold air intake
Before I took it to the dealership I tinkered with it. Made sure the filter was on good tight. Checked all the connections on the sensors… And still check engine light was on.

Not sure if anyone else has this issue? Or if I should just get a hold of S&B see what they have to say.
My service tech at the dealership said it was pretty common for these particular intakes. He actually said the banks called air intake codes
I just think it’s very odd that over 30,000 miles no codes, I did a cleaning, had run for about a day, and then the CEI showed up.
Should I just go back to the stock intake, or try out the banks?

jsalbre

Reaction score
After 30+K miles, I pulled my S&B filter completely off give it a good cleaning and oiling. Generally, I use a small shop vac and get as good of a cleaning as possible. I don’t run in a lot of dust or dirty areas….
Anyway, pulled it off. It was fairly clean for that many miles, did my thorough cleaning let it dry, and then oiled it. Put the filter back on and check engine light came on after about a days worth of driving.
Took it into the dealership, it’s throwing a turbo boost code, which I’m told is affiliated with the cold air intake
Before I took it to the dealership I tinkered with it. Made sure the filter was on good tight. Checked all the connections on the sensors… And still check engine light was on.

Not sure if anyone else has this issue? Or if I should just get a hold of S&B see what they have to say.
My service tech at the dealership said it was pretty common for these particular intakes. He actually said the banks called air intake codes
I just think it’s very odd that over 30,000 miles no codes, I did a cleaning, had run for about a day, and then the CEI showed up.
Should I just go back to the stock intake, or try out the banks?
I'd suggest going back to the stock intake.

As has been said many time on here, the stock air intake and filter can flow more air than the engine can consume without modification.

DustyLamborgini

Reaction score
I'd suggest going back to the stock intake.

As has been said many time on here, the stock air intake and filter can flow more air than the engine can consume without modification.
I am thinking that’s what I will do.
Now, should I hang on to the CAI, in case I start adding mods?
Thanks for the straightforward reply.

Braggster

Reaction score
I bought and installed a S and B cold air intake for around month. Jan-Feb
8000 miles on my 2023 Big horn when I installed it, I looked at my turbo fins as I was installing the S and B and there was little to no discoloring or wear. After a month started having my DPF build up more, hesitated on take off one morning. A few days later looked inside the see thru cover and it was caked in dust. Took the tube off and there was dust inside. Took the tube off and the turbo had noticeable wear after just around 30 days. When I installed it, my turbo fins did not look like that. I Immediately put my stock intake back on and sold the relatively new S and B intake for $200 on Facebook marketplace
Lesson learned as there were countless members on here warning us all the time this subject is brought up to just stay stock. That turbo spools so fast and the dust that gets by the cleanable filter just pulverizes onto those blades and eats up those blades up fast. I was surprised in that little time period how
Much different the blades looked. Not worth it. Stick to stock and listen to these people when they say don’t do it !

DustyLamborgini

Reaction score
I bought and installed a S and B cold air intake for around month. Jan-Feb
8000 miles on my 2023 Big horn when I installed it, I looked at my turbo fins as I was installing the S and B and there was little to no discoloring or wear. After a month started having my DPF build up more, hesitated on take off one morning. A few days later looked inside the see thru cover and it was caked in dust. Took the tube off and there was dust inside. Took the tube off and the turbo had noticeable wear after just around 30 days. When I installed it, my turbo fins did not look like that. I Immediately put my stock intake back on and sold the relatively new S and B intake for $200 on Facebook marketplace
Lesson learned as there were countless members on here warning us all the time this subject is brought up to just stay stock. That turbo spools so fast and the dust that gets by the cleanable filter just pulverizes onto those blades and eats up those blades up fast. I was surprised in that little time period how
Much different the blades looked. Not worth it. Stick to stock and listen to these people when they say don’t do it !
You gentlemen rock! I appreciate all the intel. I have about 34k miles with this CIA, and it just threw the code as I mentioned about a day after taking off the filter to clean it. I will be taking it off an reinstalling once I get back to my getaway cabin next week! Now I’m def curious to see if I have that build up as well!

It’s forums like these that are so relevant and help non gear heads like myself!

Users who are viewing this thread