Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold air intake throws check engine light

Jordan57252

Reaction score
Hey guys hoping to find a little help. I have a 5th gen 2500 with the Cummins engine and I recently installed a sinister diesel cold air intake. Very simple install and doesn’t take much to do. The new setup makes the turbo sound amazing but after driving around town for about 30 minutes I had the check engine light come up. I looked up the codes and I get P0402 and P226C. Both codes are air flow related and I am assuming it has to do with one of the two mass airflow sensors on the intake. I’ve tried disconnecting the batteries to reset everything but the light comes right back after 30 minutes of driving around. I’ve tried seeing if I can find someone with a similar problem but everyone seems to be able to install it with no issues on a stock truck. My truck is completely stock besides the intake. Any help would be great

Myfast70

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with these diesel platforms yet but lots of gas engine experience and maf sensors are very finicky. Being that I have swapped intakes yet I'm not sure what sensor goes where so this is coming from troubleshooting the gas engine side of things. Just making sure but does your new intake setup require any type of tune to work properly?

1. Check and make sure maf sensor is pointed in the correct direction, they typically have a flow arrow indicating which way to install them and the mounts usually allow them to be installed one way only

2. Being that there are two sensors make sure they didn't get switched around and that they are in the proper locations

3. Make sure the plugs/ connectors are fully seated and that they are locked (if equipped)

4. Check all clamps, filters, boots & connections make sure they are properly tightened and not overtightened as that can distort things and allow extra air into the system

5. Do a visual check and make sure the sensors aren't damaged or picked up debris along the way and that the gasket is in place. A missing gasket will allow in additional unmetered air

6. I've seen others mention that there is some sort of foam in the air box or air tube somewhere (sorry, back to the I haven't taken one of these apart yet excuse, lol), make sure it hasn't become dislodged and plugged the tube or turbo inlet

When a maf code is set it can be from a sensor in backwards, unmetered air getting into the engine, connector/ connection issue, loose clamp and or filter, blockage, damaged sensor, sensor in backward.

If all of that looks good put it back to stock, reset it and see what it does. What type of air filter is on it? Is it an oiled filter? If it has too much oil it could have gotten on the maf and that will cause an issue. Too much oil could also potentially restrict air flow. They sell specific maf cleaners, you can always try cleaning them but don't overdo it, try not to completely soak the whole sensor.

That's my free advice, if I think of anything else I'll reply. Good luck and post what you find!

Lift89

Reaction score
Hey guys hoping to find a little help. I have a 5th gen 2500 with the Cummins engine and I recently installed a sinister diesel cold air intake. Very simple install and doesn’t take much to do. The new setup makes the turbo sound amazing but after driving around town for about 30 minutes I had the check engine light come up. I looked up the codes and I get P0402 and P226C. Both codes are air flow related and I am assuming it has to do with one of the two mass airflow sensors on the intake. I’ve tried disconnecting the batteries to reset everything but the light comes right back after 30 minutes of driving around. I’ve tried seeing if I can find someone with a similar problem but everyone seems to be able to install it with no issues on a stock truck. My truck is completely stock besides the intake. Any help would be great

I have a 2020 with sinister and a weight reduction kit. Lately I’ve been getting a service air filter message. I believe it’s just pretty common with these sinister intake. I took my truck in and the shop found a couple leaks, they replaced some clamp, torqued everything down and all was good. About 200 miles after that, the message popped up again. I just don’t think these trucks like after market intake.

Maybe return it if you can. And try the S&B intake. They seem to have done a little more R&D. If that doesn’t work, go back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myfast70

Reaction score
If you're stuck on have qn aftermarket cold air I feel Banks is truly the best route and has the least amount of problems.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
any short ram hot air intake is likely going to throw a code. these trucks are super finicky on maf placement and air flow across.

Riddick

Reaction score
It sounds like you might have a leak around your sensors. Make sure both mating surfaces are clean and you are not over tightening the sensors down, if you tightem them to much it can distort the gasket causing a leak. Additionally, you can always add a very thin layer of vaseline to your gaskets, this helps them seal better.

Also, its also a great idea to check any and all surrounding connectiors where you were working. This includes all electrical connectors and vacum lines, its very easy to knock something loose when working under the hood.

Lift89

Reaction score
Did a litter more research and talking to my tuner and other people. Looks like sinister intake is no good for the 2020s a lot of people, “not all” are having problems with that intake. I’ll be selling mine. And getting an S&B intake recommended by my guy.

Phil T

Reaction score
With hundreds of man years, Ram and Cummins still get things wrong. How can you trust a comparatively small company to design something that will be compatible. Stick to stock and you will sleep better at night.

Lift89

Reaction score
With hundreds of man years, Ram and Cummins still get things wrong. How can you trust a comparatively small company to design something that will be compatible. Stick to stock and you will sleep better at night.

True. But I’m trying S&B as my tuner. Who is very well known says S&B and Banks are the only ones he trusts. Sinister just must not flow as much air. Obviously the PCM is reading a “clog” in the air system with sinister. So I’m assuming it just doesn’t flow as well as S&B or Banks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
True. But I’m trying S&B as my tuner. Who is very well known says S&B and Banks are the only ones he trusts. Sinister just must not flow as much air. Obviously the PCM is reading a “clog” in the air system with sinister. So I’m assuming it just doesn’t flow as well as S&B or Banks.

Others have issues with S&B aswell

MtnRider

Reaction score
This is a common issue with most all after market filters for the newer Cummins. Honestly, unless you are making a high HP race truck there is not need for an after market filter, the stock flows more then enough and offers great filtering.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Best way to fix this problem:

Step 1: Reinstall factory air box
Step 2: throw “cold air intake” in trash can
Step 3: roll trash can to curb

FYI: any open element filter that is under the hood is actually a “hot air intake” which is exactly what this “sinister diesel” part looks like by a google search. Junk sh*t is what it looks like.

Lift89

Reaction score
Others have issues with S&B aswell

I believe that was the older model intake for the 5th gens. They had 3 revisions and the 3rd revision I guess is money. But I’ll find out after I install it I guess. I’m just going off what a highly respected tuner is saying. He’s tunes plenty with S&B I guess and hasn’t had problems.

Lift89

Reaction score
Best way to fix this problem:

Step 1: Reinstall factory air box
Step 2: throw “cold air intake” in trash can
Step 3: roll trash can to curb

FYI: any open element filter that is under the hood is actually a “hot air intake” which is exactly what this “sinister diesel” part looks like by a google search. Junk sh*t is what it looks like.

Well I’m in the high HP club so that’s why I got rid of stock. But the sinister intake is not that good. I think because it’s just 4in pipe from intake to turbo, with a relatively small filter. That’s why I’m getting service air filter code under heavy throttle.

Where as the S&B I believe is 5.125 in inlet diameter. So it’s WAY larger than stock and sinister. Flows ALOT more air.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well I’m in the high HP club so that’s why I got rid of stock. But the sinister intake is not that good. I think because it’s just 4in pipe from intake to turbo, with a relatively small filter. That’s why I’m getting service air filter code under heavy throttle.

Where as the S&B I believe is 5.125 in inlet diameter. So it’s WAY larger than stock and sinister. Flows ALOT more air.

Thats redundant as the turbo Inlet stays the same size…. The factory filter can support massive power on these trucks

Lift89

Reaction score
Thats redundant as the turbo Inlet stays the same size…. The factory filter can support massive power on these trucks

Yes it can support decent power. But it’s not redundant at all actually. If you have ever looked at CFM/FLOW/VELOCITY parameters, intake inlet size and efficiency of the intake itself matters. But yes, after a certain point it does max out and the turbo will become the limiting factor. Hint to why these truck can actually gain 10-20hp dyno proven with good intake like, S&B, banks, AFE. I regret getting the sinister. But I’ll be sure to come back here after I install the S&B intake and let everyone know if it fixed the “service air filter” message.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes it can support decent power. But it’s not redundant at all actually. If you have ever looked at CFM/FLOW/VELOCITY parameters, intake inlet size and efficiency of the intake itself matters. But yes, after a certain point it does max out and the turbo will become the limiting factor. Hint to why these truck can actually gain 10-20hp dyno proven with good intake like, S&B, banks, AFE. I regret getting the sinister. But I’ll be sure to come back here after I install the S&B intake and let everyone know if it fixed the “service air filter” message.

There has been no dyno proven 10-20hp gains that i can find perhaps you should link the proof…

Lift89

Reaction score
I’ll have to do a little digging to find stock truck with intake only. I’ve got plenty of modded truck adding intakes.

I’ve seen REAL world mpg increases with a good CAI personally.

So to elude to “intakes” don’t do anything is false. I’ve seen at best 1 mpg increases with intakes on multiple vehicles. If that’s all it does, to me that’s worth it even if it doesn’t yield HP gains.

Firebird

Reaction score
Although I don’t have one on my 21, I’ve run S&B on a half dozen trucks, and never a problem or CEL

Users who are viewing this thread