Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clearance/Marker Lights

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Square knock out punch or sheet metal nibbler, duh.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Those, too. But I’ll have to defer to what I already have, and just as easy.

kristof

Reaction score
I remember when I install them on my 2016 ram 1500. When I placed that paper template on the roof I just looked at it for 15 minutes thinking what the heck am I doing?

DownShiftz

Reaction score
What is the Ram part number for the kit you purchased?
Part# 82211190AB
This is for the 2018 lights but placement is the same as the 2019/2020.
Wiring is different, I found switched power at the passenger-right kick panel.
You do not have to fully remove the headliner, just pull down the front section and let it hang enough to get your hands in there.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Why do people want to go through that much work for clearance lights ?thought they were only required if the vehicle is over 80 +/- inches wide or wider. I know for sure that mirrors and fender flares don't count . as a kid we always referred to them as retirement lights, LOL.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Another cool option is to put amber LEDs in your grill, like the Raptor. I've seen guys do this with their Rams in other forums, it can look really cool. And there's a pretty big variety of LED lights you can pick from if you go that route.

DownShiftz

Reaction score
Another cool option is to put amber LEDs in your grill, like the Raptor. I've seen guys do this with their Rams in other forums, it can look really cool. And there's a pretty big variety of LED lights you can pick from if you go that route.
For sure! I’m exploring options for the grill along with a light bar between the tow hooks. I am liking the Rigid radiance series stuff.

Phil T

Reaction score
Why do people want to go through that much work for clearance lights ?thought they were only required if the vehicle is over 80 +/- inches wide or wider. I know for sure that mirrors and fender flares don't count . as a kid we always referred to them as retirement lights, LOL.
I call them redneck warning lights.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Distillusion

Reaction score
I have to wonder how many guys would still have clearance lights on their trucks if they told their wives/girlfriends it means "extra wide."
5d5bd0bd5e506.jpeg

wowens79

Reaction score
I just couldn’t bring myself to drill holes in my roof for a light to look cool. Seems like lots of places to leak. I’m hoping when I pull the trigger that the truck I find won’t have them.
I guess I’m an old fart, I won’t 18” wheels because I don’t want to pay extra for the wheels or tires.

DownShiftz

Reaction score
I just couldn’t bring myself to drill holes in my roof for a light to look cool. Seems like lots of places to leak. I’m hoping when I pull the trigger that the truck I find won’t have them.
I guess I’m an old fart, I won’t 18” wheels because I don’t want to pay extra for the wheels or tires.
It’s not for everyone that’s for sure. For me it basically came down to confidence in the gasket and simple design of the light housing. Chrysler has been punching holes in the roof for decades and leaks are for the most part a non-issue.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

The truck I found with everything I wanted had the clearance lights. Neither my wife nor I wanted them. It was almost a no go but we went ahead anyway. I have to admit we both really like them now. Maybe it is because they make that off-center shark fin antenna look a little less out of place.

DownShiftz

Reaction score
has anyone changed the amber to white?
Yeah I did and the premium ones I had were super bright and annoying enough I thought they’d be a distraction to oncoming traffic (live in big city). I’ve since purchased some cheap ones that have much less output but I’ve not gotten around to swapping them. I’ll probably also try the smoked/tint lenses as I think that’ll be the best combo.

Distillusion

Reaction score
has anyone changed the amber to white?
In Illinois, the law requires the top clearance lights (front visible) to be yellow or amber. Red from the rear. White isn't allowed. That's in line with the NHTSA standards. I think most states follow those, but I can't vouch for wherever you're located.

Users who are viewing this thread