Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning up some chrome on a limited

SCRAMHD

Reaction score
Since I had a good opportunity to park my truck for a few days I finally got around to tackling the paint work and headlights on my limited.
I’ve nodded my fair share of headlights but these were by far the most difficult I’ve dealt with. Happy with how it is taking shape.
I also threw in the roof antennas and mirror caps while I was at it. Hood badges should be on in the next couple weeks.
C065E6F3-BA5D-4A6C-9EDF-263A0B9C030D.jpeg
9FCD7890-0FAF-4F7B-901C-86DD9A9C8633.jpeg

U

User_1648

@SCRAMHD ...how difficult was it to remove the parts you painted? Also, are you going to color-match the chrome on the sides of the truck as well? I would interested to know how you remove that. I have a Limited and would like to de-chrome it also.

Mhelvic

Reaction score
Since I had a good opportunity to park my truck for a few days I finally got around to tackling the paint work and headlights on my limited.
I’ve nodded my fair share of headlights but these were by far the most difficult I’ve dealt with. Happy with how it is taking shape.
I also threw in the roof antennas and mirror caps while I was at it. Hood badges should be on in the next couple weeks.
View attachment 4494
View attachment 4495

Nice looking ride!

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Your truck looks great !! Nice job, it turned out amazing. Do you have before and after pics? It would be nice to see side by side comparison.

SCRAMHD

Reaction score
@SCRAMHD ...how difficult was it to remove the parts you painted? Also, are you going to color-match the chrome on the sides of the truck as well? I would interested to know how you remove that. I have a Limited and would like to de-chrome it also.
In my opinion these trucks are very easy to assemble/disassemble. Most difficult part aside from splitting the headlights open was accessing the 10mm bolts holding down the antennas on the roof.
I have a set of hood badges and tailgate emblem being painted as we speak so that will be the next update. As for the trim I haven’t completely decided. I will likely wrap the window trim matte black and remove both the Cummins badge and the door protector strips.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Super bad@$s looking !! two thumbs up if I could

Nice touch leaving the tow hooks in chrome. Rich on this site has a truck with the Sport Appearance package and is debating over swapping his subdued black hooks out for chrome. No one has a pic that showed it. Your transformation looks like your truck is an improved version of the sport appearance but you left the chrome hooks. I pointed him to this thread. Hopefully it helps him make the decision.

Last edited:

geektoad

Reaction score
Are you painting the chrome pieces or did you buy new primed parts?

SCRAMHD

Reaction score
Are you painting the chrome pieces or did you buy new primed parts?
Prepped and painted the chrome parts. I waited forever for the primered part numbers and was really discouraged by the price. Found a local painter who knew what he was doing and saved a bunch by doing the removal and install myself. Also did the final polishing myself which helps cut cost.

Blackfin

Reaction score
Looks great! Should be a factory option, I would have specced it on my Longhorn. Looks like you painted the Ram letters on the grill, do you have to remove the grill to get those off?

SCRAMHD

Reaction score
Looks great! Should be a factory option, I would have specced it on my Longhorn. Looks like you painted the Ram letters on the grill, do you have to remove the grill to get those off?
Yes you should pull the grill if you don’t want to break them. Clips and compression clips holding them in

woody284

Reaction score
Love it. I have a tradesman so I have chrome grille and bumpers. I really would like to paint my bumper but I’m afraid of it chipping and looking terrible. I guess a thought could be to do the grille surround and it’s less surface area to cover. You have my wheels turning.

SCRAMHD

Reaction score
View attachment 4494
View attachment 4495
Update: hood badges and tailgate emblem color matched. Side molding and Cummins badges removed.
D52CD0B9-AE72-4734-86E7-03559DD1BD8D.jpeg
C4B285F6-795F-4551-951E-57B67120CAAE.jpeg
9A48B974-A1A6-4D8C-989E-640BA17FC548.jpeg
7C3964C4-A778-4018-BA55-63A2547747B3.jpeg
026D68DB-CA76-46BB-8281-7359D385EF08.jpeg

BC2019RAMLTD

Reaction score
In my opinion these trucks are very easy to assemble/disassemble. Most difficult part aside from splitting the headlights open was accessing the 10mm bolts holding down the antennas on the roof.
I have a set of hood badges and tailgate emblem being painted as we speak so that will be the next update. As for the trim I haven’t completely decided. I will likely wrap the window trim matte black and remove both the Cummins badge and the door protector strips.

Looks absolutely amazing dude! Have you removed the door protector strips yet? Would I be assuming correctly that they are attached only by peel and stick?

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Great looking final result !! I like the small detail of leaving the door and window trim chrome, it ties the wheels and tow hooks together nicely. Subtle detail but makes for a unique looking ride. It‘s always a good feeling when you invest sweat equity into a project and it turns out great.

.genomer

Reaction score
Love the headlights. Did you them them yourself? I know Retroshop does this sort of thing.

Klearz will sell the reflectors, but the consumer has to open the headlights. They have a generalized DIY tutorial. The biggest thing to emphasize on professional grade headlight disassembly/assembly revolves around the rubber cement sealant. If the time isn't taken to properly seal enclosures, moisture will almost always find its way in and cause fogging.

AFF

Reaction score
Klearz will sell the reflectors, but the consumer has to open the headlights. They have a generalized DIY tutorial. The biggest thing to emphasize on professional grade headlight disassembly/assembly revolves around the rubber cement sealant. If the time isn't taken to properly seal enclosures, moisture will almost always find its way in and cause fogging.

Right on thanks. Yeah I did my 4th gen that way in the oven but I had a spare set so i wasn't too worried about it. Not sure if I am brave enough to do it too the set on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread