Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris’ 2020 2500 6.4L

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I always try and do one of these member rides posts so I can keep track of information, upgrades, and plans for the truck...so here goes.

The new truck was just delivered to my driveway a few hours ago. 2020 Laramie 4x4 Off-road. It has the towing technology group, 5th wheel prep, lvl 2 equipment, and the 12” screen. Has everything I wanted but a sunroof, can’t wait to get it hooked to my camper in a couple weeks and see how it does compared to my ‘19 1500. Measured the hitch and it’s almost 5” taller so I’ll for sure need to switch to a longer drop for my wdh. Only issue so far is the dealership put the wrong rear floor mat in so they are shipping me another one Monday. Said I could keep this one for my troubles. It is taller than I expected so I will probably be swapping the running boards out for some that hang lower so the wife can get in and out easier. So far I couldn’t be happier and I believe the hemi with 8 speed will be a perfect DD that tows our 28’ bumper pull camper.

Obligatory pics of the new truck, and another of the 1500 it’s replacing side by side. Lol.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Nice, congrats, do you like the color black?

I’m hoping this way my wife won’t realize I got a new truck...hahaha

Seriously though, I started out shopping for one of the dark gray colors, I had no intentions of getting an identical looking truck but ended up with a deal I couldn’t turn down on this.

slackerwill

Reaction score
Beautiful truck! Highly recommend the Amp Research power steps. These trucks are super tall (says the guy with a leveling kit and 37's on the way :p). Wife very much approves. The mother in law even had no trouble. Congrats!

Reaction score
Very, nice. Always like seeing the higher trims with the 6.4L. They're unfortunately pretty hard to come by around here.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Very, nice. Always like seeing the higher trims with the 6.4L. They're unfortunately pretty hard to come by around here.

The dealer I usually go to has tons of trucks and usually keeps lots of choices in stock. They are the number 1 volume dealer in our state...but even they are getting slim on offerings right now. I believe they only had 30-40 2500/3500 trucks on the lot with the majority being tradesmen...only one bighorn when I was looking and they usually have 10-20 of those alone to pick from. I went into this trade wanting a diesel since that’s all I’ve ever dealt with in the HD truck market but the more I looked, the more the payload and in town daily driver aspect swayed my decision. I love a diesel truck but the 6.4 works better for what I want I think. At least the numbers make me think that for now, only time will tell if I made a bad decision. Lol

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Well, the first mod has been ordered. Nothing big but I have a console vault on the way. I went back and forth between the console vault and a locker down but ended up going with the first one since it had the option of the 3 digit combo lock. The 4 digit looked like the numbers would be so small they wouldn’t be easily readable down in the hole and I didn’t want the electric lock. Keeping my fingers crossed I didn’t make a bad decision.

next up will be swapping the running boards for some amp research ones so my wife can crawl in and out easier.
09E3D1D8-1483-42E3-BFEE-CA71FD0EF079.jpeg

JLPower

Reaction score
Question did your mopar floor mats come in the truck or did you have them waiting for when it arrived? I didn't see it listed on your sticker. I'm curious what floor mats are coming in the HD trucks and if I should go ahead and order some before ours arrives.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Question did your mopar floor mats come in the truck or did you have them waiting for when it arrived? I didn't see it listed on your sticker. I'm curious what floor mats are coming in the HD trucks and if I should go ahead and order some before ours arrives.

Depends on Trim. I can only say the Limited comes with really nice rubber mats with a snap out carpet piece.

Unfortunately, those mats are flat and not suitable for winter here. Much of our summers are spent camping and boating so the Husky all weather mats I got stay in pretty much year round.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Great looking truck. The 6.4 Hemi with 8 speed is a great combination, my TT weigh just under 9k and is 30' long. Grades or flats, great tow vehicle. We have the automatic running boards. They come down lower than the stationary ones and make the truck look great retracted. Kind of laugh when people bring up the limited space in the back seat. Get a MegaCab and no problems.

CallMeChris

Reaction score

I had the dealer add them,before I picked it up.

Great looking truck. The 6.4 Hemi with 8 speed is a great combination, my TT weigh just under 9k and is 30' long. Grades or flats, great tow vehicle. We have the automatic running boards. They come down lower than the stationary ones and make the truck look great retracted. Kind of laugh when people bring up the limited space in the back seat. Get a MegaCab and no problems.

it’s not that the back seat is limited in space, I had a 2018 ram 1500 and it was fine. Then I traded to the new 2019 ram 1500 and the back seat definitely had more room. This truck is a mashup of the 2...looks like the 19 but similar sized to the 18. It’s still plenty big enough for what we need, I don’t plan on ballroom dancing in the back seat.lol

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Just made it home and am 1000% happy! No mountains to try but interstate and hilly curvy back roads and it performed better than I had hoped.

weird little side note...I set the cruise on 55 on the highway and was showing around 9-10mpg on the instant display. Bumped it up to 70 when I got on the interstate and it was moving between 10-13 on the instant. Kind of got a chuckle out of that.

Users who are viewing this thread