Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing rear backup camera to something with wider field of view and cargo camera image

Big_E

Reaction score
Coming from an F250 to the 2500 has been quite the experience and so far I'm quite impressed with the Ram and I've been a Ford guy since 16 (I'm 47).

Anyways, my biggest gripe besides the horrible passenger mirror and the fact that the outer convex mirror is not standard electronic adjust, is the backup camera.

Ford has a nice wide field of view and the angle is so much better in that it doesn't look down at the bumper but looks more behind. Is there anyway to modify the stock cam or a replacement to fix these issues I'm having?

Also, can the cargo camera be changed to something with better image quality?

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Coming from an F250 to the 2500 has been quite the experience and so far I'm quite impressed with the Ram and I've been a Ford guy since 16 (I'm 47).

Anyways, my biggest gripe besides the horrible passenger mirror and the fact that the outer convex mirror is not standard electronic adjust, is the backup camera.

Ford has a nice wide field of view and the angle is so much better in that it doesn't look down at the bumper but looks more behind. Is there anyway to modify the stock cam or a replacement to fix these issues I'm having?

In not sure which ford you are comparing it to but my camera is so much better in my ram compared to my bosses F350 platinum for field of view

RamPaged

Reaction score
Love the camera on my 2022 Ram2500HD. I also bought 2 magnet cameras that widens my view front, back and sides if needed. mostly I use them for my trailers. They work with my smart phone that's the only way

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Maybe there is a camera difference for the non-surround view cameras? My cameras are better than any Ford I’ve been in.

I thought the convex mirrors being power was standard, maybe that depends on the trim level.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Maybe there is a camera difference for the non-surround view cameras? My cameras are better than any Ford I’ve been in.

I thought the convex mirrors being power was standard, maybe that depends on the trim level.
All the cameras are the same according to jimmy.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

I’ve heard it both ways, and seen reference to analog vs digital cameras based on options.

I’ve also seen screen shots of cargo cameras that were horrible, worse than my ‘18 which wasn’t great.

So if they are all the same there are some serious quality control issues.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Surround cameras are different than non-surround cameras. They have different part numbers. Whatever system you have, all the cameras are the same. I learned this from Jimmy when I put a camera on the front of my grill guard on my 2020 3500 surround system.

Users who are viewing this thread