Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing my own oil and fuel filter

Elcid

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I own a 2020 3500 HO Ram. Previously, I have always let the dealership change the oil etc in my newer vehicles , at least while they are under warranty. son e the truck sits so high off the ground and being a brand new truck, I am thinking of changing the fuel filter and Oil filter myself, when the time comes.
question.

1. are new truck owners allowed under Canadian or American Ram warranty to change our own oil?

2. what is the best diesel oil for these trucks? ( 6.7 Cummin) amsoil OK?

3. is there a step by step instruction in the forum that Deals with the fuel filter change?

thanks everyone,

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Change your own oil, filters, do the maintenance all of it. Don’t let them hold that warranty over you.

I personally use Amsoil for our Cummins and SRT and you can become a preferred customer for a decent deal with them. I ended up becoming a dealer for Amsoil just cause I use so much of their products.

Bottom line is be self sufficient and not only you’ll know the details of your truck, you’ll also know it was done right and save money.

What do you mean step by step?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99ls1tj

Reaction score
I’m going to do my fuel filters next week. I bought some hose today to extend the drains. 5/8” I.D. For the front and 5/16” I.D. for the rear. Anyhow, thought that might be helpful.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Shell oil is what cummins recommends plus it is one of the best diesel oils out there.... best thing to do is get it in writing from your dealer saying they say you can change your own oils and then keep your receipts

Ostracize

Reaction score
Can't speak for the great frozen north.. But in the US it is illegal for a warranty to be voided with the justification being that the owner did thir own maintenance/service.... But it is a best practice to save all your receipts of what you do. I recommend making a service binder. You do not need to ask for permission.
Look up Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Onelongshot

Reaction score
Shell oil is what cummins recommends plus it is one of the best diesel oils out there.... best thing to do is get it in writing from your dealer saying they say you can change your own oils and then keep your receipts
Shell is what FCA recommends. Valvoline is what Cummins recommends. Factory fill by Cummins is Valvoline.

CdnHO

Reaction score
On my last truck, a 2003 Ram HO dually, I did ALL my own maintenance mainly because I trust my self more than the dealership. Besides it is nice to save some coin. Also you can keep a closer eye on any leaks or other issues. I do keep all receipts for filters, oil and any other maintenance items and complete the maintenance manual that comes with the truck. I sign the botton of the maintenance book. Did the same for all my vehicles. In fact if you read the owners manual it does speak to owners doing their own maintance, how to reset the service minders etc.

BWolfE84

Reaction score
On my last truck, a 2003 Ram HO dually, I did ALL my own maintenance mainly because I trust my self more than the dealership. Besides it is nice to save some coin. Also you can keep a closer eye on any leaks or other issues. I do keep all receipts for filters, oil and any other maintenance items and complete the maintenance manual that comes with the truck. I sign the botton of the maintenance book. Did the same for all my vehicles. In fact if you read the owners manual it does speak to owners doing their own maintance, how to reset the service minders etc.
I pulled out my manual as I love to do my own maintenance. If my vehicle is under warranty, I have always taken it into the dealer for an oil change. I think I am going to follow your approach this time around.

Reaction score
YouTube (no endorsement) is a great resource for that.

This guy is smart enough not to hold the camera with one hand and get you car sick while juggling the whole video like the others. Again....no endorsement but I have this one bookmarked for when time comes.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Shell is what FCA recommends. Valvoline is what Cummins recommends. Factory fill by Cummins is Valvoline.
No cummins stopped recommending valvoline blue after 2018 now its shell not from fca

roegs

Reaction score
.... best thing to do is get it in writing from your dealer saying they say you can change your own oils...
Absolutely no reason you need written permission to change your own oil. As others have mentioned its a good idea to keep receipts just in case FCA would ask.

99ls1tj

Reaction score
I did my fuel filters yesterday. The front was a piece of cake and I didn't spill any diesel fuel. The rear was not as easy. I had a lot of trouble getting the housing to drain. I unscrewed the valve to the point that fuel started leaking at the valve along with the drain and then screwed it back in just a bit. I kept my drain hose attached then started unscrewing the filter cap. At some point it finally started draining and I got most of the fuel out of the housing. That drain does not work well. There are some comments regarding this in the video posted above. There was still fuel in the cap and I spilled most of that when I took it off. I should have held it upright until I was able to dump the fuel out. Those filters are at about 6700 miles/ 1 year. The rear looks a lot worse. I may do it at 6 months next time.

Attachments

• 5EFFF136-1CC3-46EB-899A-1D43CC6AA4F3.jpeg
    5EFFF136-1CC3-46EB-899A-1D43CC6AA4F3.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 6E5CA6D9-18C1-4EBA-A837-3B47F4895C75.jpeg
    6E5CA6D9-18C1-4EBA-A837-3B47F4895C75.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 57
  • E882D57D-B61F-4EBA-B78D-BB40635D28E4.jpeg
    E882D57D-B61F-4EBA-B78D-BB40635D28E4.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 60
  • D7AB82F0-E6D3-481D-8EFA-3098E94CB6A7.jpeg
    D7AB82F0-E6D3-481D-8EFA-3098E94CB6A7.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
No cummins stopped recommending valvoline blue after 2018 now its shell not from fca
Cummins and valvoline are still a marketing alliance. They actually both developed and released the valvoline premium blue one solution gen 2 just earlier this year.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I read all I could find and watched all the vids even the pro’s took a diesel bath. So me being me I decided to try something a little bit different. On the rear one I loosened the cap almost all the way first then opened the drain. Most of the fuel drained out and as the siphon broke I kept slowly loosening the cap to allow flow. Next time I will put a bag over before the final pop and I don’t think I will spill a drop. Heck I even loosen the front cap nearly all the way before opening the drain. Liquid flows better when it’s not under vacuum.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Absolutely no reason you need written permission to change your own oil. As others have mentioned its a good idea to keep receipts just in case FCA would ask.
Better safe than sorry

roegs

Reaction score
Better safe than sorry
Nothing to be safe or sorry about. There is no problem with changing your own oil. No different than rotating tires. Would you also recommend getting it in writing from the dealer that its okay to add air to your tires? These are all standard maintenance items....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Nothing to be safe or sorry about. There is no problem with changing your own oil. No different than rotating tires. Would you also recommend getting it in writing from the dealer that its okay to add air to your tires? These are all standard maintenance items....
As a mechanic i have personally seen people denied warranty for not having it in writing... you can take your chances if you feel like it....

roegs

Reaction score
As a mechanic i have personally seen people denied warranty for not having it in writing... you can take your chances if you feel like it....
As an Internet user I've personally seen plenty of mis-information spewed on forums. As an EcoDiesel owner (for those familiar with that RAM scenario) I've seen that same mis-information. I've spoken with more than my share of Service Managers about oil changes (related to the EcoDiesel) and the answers are all the same. Its considered normal maintenance any one can do it. If there is an issue down the road RAM may want receipts just to ensure that the changes were done and that the correct oil and filter were used. I've attached two links below - note that its actually illegal for a dealer to deny you warranty for maintenance done elsewhere. Keep in mind this all assumes that the oil changes are performed correctly with proper fluids and within specified time and mileage.

H3LZSN1P3R - I call baloney on your statements unless you can prove otherwise that written dealer permission is necessary for oil and filter changes. To be honest, I'm not sure that a dealer would want to give you this in writing just because it could put them at risk if you do a half baked job or use the wrong oil etc. If you ask, any Service Manager is simply going to mention using the right oil and filter and do it in the mileage and time periods specified.

To others reading this wondering why I keep pursuing this - to be honest, I wonder the same myself. Especially as a newbie on this forum. I'm an older guy that loves to work on vehicles, and that includes doing my own maintenance. I joined this forum to learn more about HD RAM trucks. I recently went through all these oil change scare tactics with my EcoDiesel (finest vehicle I've ever owned BTW) and this stuff about warranty cautions is just not true. From an EcoDiesel perspective, more than one engine was destroyed by dealers using the wrong oil in that engine. I've enjoyed taking pride in doing my own maintenance and hope that others can also. In fact, with the money saved doing your own changes, filters, etc you might want to put some of that towards oil analysis.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | FTC Consumer Information

When Can Your Car Dealer Void Your Vehicle's Warranty or Deny Auto Warranty Service Claims? (ncconsumer.org)

Dingo

Reaction score
+2 on AMSOIL. Small family owned company with a simple goal of making the best oil you can buy. OEM recommendations are based on $$. It doesn't mean the recommended product is superior to other products in the market.

roegs

Reaction score
+2 on AMSOIL. Small family owned company with a simple goal of making the best oil you can buy. OEM recommendations are based on $$. It doesn't mean the recommended product is superior to other products in the market.
I love Amsoil gear and transmission fluids. I've never used their engine oils but may need to check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread