Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Center display/instrument cluster

Highdesertexplorer

Reaction score
2023 ram 2500 big horn. It doesn’t do it every time but every 20 starts or so the display in the center of the instrument cluster says 1500 (I have a 2500) before saying Big Horn. Most of the time it just says big horn. I guess it’s not a big deal but as a first time Ram owner I’m finding out fit and finish isn’t as good as another brand I used to purchase. Also after I shut the vehicle off and power is cut after 30 seconds if I turn a light on in the interior or tap the brake pedal the stereo speakers seem to draw power and make sort of a pop sound. Again, not really hurting anything I guess just not what I would expect from a truck of this price.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
Visit any forum that discusses any vehicle model and I guarantee you'll quickly find issues far worse than these two issues. We own Rams, Fords, GM's, Toyotas and Nissans and they've all needed a visit to the dealer for various issues.

21 Toyota Tundra: Steering rack needed completely replaced
22 Ford F350: All 4 door hinges needed replaced with numerous interior fit and finish problems (missing hot fuses).
2016 Nissan Titan XD: Had to have the PCM & ECM updated about 1/2 a dozen times
2020 GM 3500 Van: Fuel pump needed replaced
I've owned Rams for the past 25 years. The only time one needed a dealer visit was to have a steering wheel replaced due to faulty leather. There's not so much as a stitch out of place in my 23 3500 fully loaded air ride Limited.

I would schedule a visit to your dealer to have these annoyances corrected.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Can’t help with the display, might be able to update something via AlphaOBD but that pop sound you’re referring to is probably the Active Noise Cancellation, the module is wired into the speakers……..

Highdesertexplorer

Reaction score
Visit any forum that discusses any vehicle model and I guarantee you'll quickly find issues far worse than these two issues. We own Rams, Fords, GM's, Toyotas and Nissans and they've all needed a visit to the dealer for various issues.

21 Toyota Tundra: Steering rack needed completely replaced
22 Ford F350: All 4 door hinges needed replaced with numerous interior fit and finish problems (missing hot fuses).
2016 Nissan Titan XD: Had to have the PCM & ECM updated about 1/2 a dozen times
2020 GM 3500 Van: Fuel pump needed replaced
I've owned Rams for the past 25 years. The only time one needed a dealer visit was to have a steering wheel replaced due to faulty leather. There's not so much as a stitch out of place in my 23 3500 fully loaded air ride Limited.

I would schedule a visit to your dealer to have these annoyances corrected.
It almost sounds like when you drive from low elevation to high elevation in a short distance and yawn and your ears pop.

Highdesertexplorer

Reaction score
I agree with Grateful Dad. That definitely sounds like the active noise cancellation.
Is that “normal”? If so then I will forget about it as it doesn’t bother me, just not something I have ever heard before. I really really like my truck, overall I’m extremely happy with it. Just a few quirks that I’ve never dealt with before when buying a new truck, and he’s I understand that new doesn’t necessarily mean perfect.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Is that “normal”? If so then I will forget about it as it doesn’t bother me, just not something I have ever heard before. I really really like my truck, overall I’m extremely happy with it. Just a few quirks that I’ve never dealt with before when buying a new truck, and he’s I understand that new doesn’t necessarily mean perfect.

It is normal. It happens every time the truck “wakes up”.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
I've randomly heard it happen in my Jeep but not in my Ram. If you're hearing it consistently I would inform the dealer.

Highdesertexplorer

Reaction score
I've randomly heard it happen in my Jeep but not in my Ram. If you're hearing it consistently I would inform the dealer.
It does it every time I do something after power is cut off. My daughter and I were waiting at the school bus stop this morning and she opened the upper glove box and it did it, I assume the light turning on drew power and caused it. I waited for power to turn off then pushed the dimmer dial up and it did it again. When I open the door or unlock the truck it does it. If I had to guess it does it about 10 times a day. Every time power is restored to a device it does it.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
It does it every time I do something after power is cut off. My daughter and I were waiting at the school bus stop this morning and she opened the upper glove box and it did it, I assume the light turning on drew power and caused it. I waited for power to turn off then pushed the dimmer dial up and it did it again. When I open the door or unlock the truck it does it. If I had to guess it does it about 10 times a day. Every time power is restored to a device it does it.
The “popping” noise you hear is normal (I describe it as the sound made when you put the needle on a record). It is purposely implemented to indicate when all of the modules on the canbus network that are on battery power are woken up after they’ve gone asleep.

Users who are viewing this thread