Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carli suspension info

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So after reading a lot of threads about articulink, Carli and Thuren suspension components and alignments, I decided to reach out to Carli for some info.

Base. '21 75th AE PW. 35" BFG KO2. 45/40 PSI. Aligned to Thuren specs.

I began asking Carli about shocks for my truck to give me a better ride. I am not found of lifting the truck any more as it's already high enough for me.

Carli responded back with the following info, and also put me in touch with CJC Offroad. It seems they are one of their main suppliers and probably do some testing for them.

"We offer both King and Fox shock options but none to suit the factory PW springs – all our custom valving is done to our spring rates. On yours, you can expect 2” of front lift and 1” rear lift with our lift. I know you stated you’d prefer not to lift it but, I outline the lift heights to show you they’re negligible enough to be considered."

I then received an Email from CJC and started a conversation with them. I'm passing this info on to maybe help some of you who are thinking of going this route.

"You're welcome to order just shocks, but from our experience it really doesn't alter the ride quality as much as most customers hope for, which is why we prefer the Carli systems that replace the springs/shocks together. Here's a video of our shop Power Wagon on a Carli system and 37s so you can get an idea of what that looks like and rides like.

Again, you're welcome to do shocks alone, but we have a feeling you'll feel let down after the money spent!"

My response and question:

Yea, I'm a member on the HDRam site and have see several of the guys are running the Carli setup and like it. My issue is the lift height as I use my truck. It's already fairly high from the factory, so trying not to go that route.
My other truck, 04 Chevy sits on 37s and 9" of lift and is basically unusable. Need a ladder to get into the bed.
On my PW, I did order the bed step which helps a lot climbing into the truck.
I'll have to do some serious thinking on it.
One question i do have about the suspensions is why does the lower level of the suspension have more front travel than the higher level when they both use the same spring, just different shocks?

CJC response:

We fully understand bed access and all salesmanship aside, we just want you to be happy with the setup. We truly think you'll be happier with the dedicated system as opposed to just doing shocks. That way you're also improving travel, articulation, and actually adding a little rear payload capacity in the process. The added lift is just to improve up travel and separate the axle/frame.

The variance in travel has to do with the size of the shock end caps and the shocks themselves. The King options have a slightly larger end cap/body, so you lose a hair of travel over the Fox systems. It isn't something that's really noticeable in the cab though as the added damping and control you get from the King packages more than make up for a few mm travel loss!

My response and more questions:

Hi again. So I watched your video again. Seen it in the past.
The Carli suspension you say as more flex in it than stock. Have you ran it on a RTI ramp and compared the numbers to the stock suspension? Just curious.

CJC response:

We have not run it on an RTI ramp unfortunately but we intend to

My response and questions:

Do you know if you can run 37s on the stock rims with the Carli setup and not rub when compressed and turned?

CJC response:

Sadly no. They're too tucked in, so you get rub on the radius arms and sway bar at full steering lock. To fit 37s on a Ram truck we recommend a +18 to +27 offset wheel that is no wider than 9,” as well as some mild trimming of the plastic fender liner and maybe pinch weld depending on the tire.

and a followup about the same issue

+18 to +25 tends to provide the best compromise between just clearing the body but also clearing the suspension with little to no plastic trimming being required.

So I hope this info helps some of you.

I'm still on the fence. To install the Carli suspension system, it will also require new rims and tires. And then I loose the spare under the bed.
Got to think about this some.

el_barto

Reaction score
Not sure if this adds another option for your consideration…or not…but I emailed Fox a few months ago and they said “later this year” they plan to release a Performance Elite 2.5 series shocks that would work with Power Wagon suspension

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I think the system would be the best way to go for you. If you want to just go with shocks and see if you like it. If not, you could have them revalved for the springs you have. Maybe somebody on the Fools might be able to help you out with getting the valving right.

SDI Live valving shocks are being tested too. Not sure when they will have them out though.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Some good info, but why would you need to get new wheels and tires? You should just go look at fox shocks. I'm pretty sure I remember looking at options on their page for no lifts.

Love my Carli kit so far.

Last edited:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I think the system would be the best way to go for you. If you want to just go with shocks and see if you like it. If not, you could have them revalved for the springs you have. Maybe somebody on the Fools might be able to help you out with getting the valving right.

SDI Live valving shocks are being tested too. Not sure when they will have them out though.

Saw the live valves shocks. They said it was just a shock swap for people with existing Carli kits.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
35's to me would look too small with the lift. So will need to go with 37's

And CJC said 37's rub when used on the stock PW beadlock rims.

We have a new guy with the Fools who works for Fox. He said a few new things are coming out, including a new active shock. We use a driver adjustable bypass shock on the race truck that was developed by Fox. But he said they now have something similar but is computer controlled. I guess it's similar to what Bilstien has for the TRX.

I don't think he is going to the Mint 400 with us this weekend. But I'll have to pick his brain soon enough and find out.

I'd rather spend $1500 to $2K on a good set of shocks rather than $5 to $10 K on a suspension, tires and wheels that would also lift the truck about 4 inches total, and loose my spare mounted under the truck.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I'm with you. I would have preferred not to raise my truck and its center of gravity, but after looking at all my options the Carli kit provided the best solution. Plus with my payload my truck isn't much higher than stock. You might want to think about running a bed slide too if you're concerned about accessing the bed. It makes managing stuff in the bed much easier. I run one because of my bed rack, but it does make the "bed" taller by a few more inches.

Fox already provides consumer active shocks to side-by-sides. Will be nice to have both Fox and Carli competing against each other in that market.

Here is the company Carli is going with: https://eclikshocks.com/

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I'm with you. I would have preferred not to raise my truck and its center of gravity, but after looking at all my options the Carli kit provided the best solution. Plus with my payload my truck isn't much higher than stock. You might want to think about running a bed slide too if you're concerned about accessing the bed. It makes managing stuff in the bed much easier. I run one because of my bed rack, but it does make the "bed" taller by a few more inches.

Fox already provides consumer active shocks to side-by-sides. Will be nice to have both Fox and Carli competing against each other in that market.

Here is the company Carli is going with: https://eclikshocks.com/

It will be interesting to see how well the SDI shocks work - and just where in the Carli catalog they will fit in. Personally, I don't think I would care to add electronics to my suspension but I will keep an open mind. I also think it is more like Fox and SDI competing. Carli sells a lot of Fox shocks.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how well the SDI shocks work - and just where in the Carli catalog they will fit in. Personally, I don't think I would care to add electronics to my suspension but I will keep an open mind. I also think it is more like Fox and SDI competing. Carli sells a lot of Fox shocks.

Agreed.

Crusty,
As long as you're not worried about payload or squat issues I think a straight shock replacement is a great option. Take a look at these that are for trucks with no lift: https://www.ridefox.com/subhome.php?m=truck&make=Ram&model=2500&year=2019&position=ALL

The only problem is you don't know how they are valved and how they will react to OEM springs.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I agree with CJC, their bread and butter for these systems (the good ride part) is the softer rate coils. Shocks alone with the stiffer factory coils isn't going to do much for you. You need that extra movement to take advantage of the dampening the shocks offer/

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
why not look at a set of bilsteins to replace the factory shocks? you're ultimately keeping the same spring rate by not swapping, and a shock isn't going to change ride characteristics that by much.

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
Have you talked to Accutune OffRoad? They have their own custom vehicle specific tuned shocks or can be custom tuned for you needs. Also includes a free re-valve incase your not happy.
This might be the route im going with on my PW. i dont need more lift and only want a shock upgrade.

JamesEvan

Reaction score
Is it really night and day difference in ride quality with the Carli Fox or King setup? Was giving it some thought today as I was getting beat up on IL roads.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Is it really night and day difference in ride quality with the Carli Fox or King setup? Was giving it some thought today as I was getting beat up on IL roads.

Yes, it definitely improves the ride. There is actually a big ride quality difference just between each of the different systems they sell too. Whether you want it enough to spend the $$ is the question.

JamesEvan

Reaction score
Yes, it definitely improves the ride. There is actually a big ride quality difference just between each of the different systems they sell too. Whether you want it enough to spend the $$ is the question.
Not enough $$ for the Dominator, would be either the Back Country or Pintop. Trying to decide.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
It will depend on how you use your truck. Both will be better than stock. Back Country has a better on road ride but the PinTop with the 2.5" Kings will be better for soaking up larger hits.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
You could give CJC a call and talk to them. If you want someone closer, George at 8 Lug Truck Gear is very knowledgeable about the Carli systems. He is in Michigan.

MDethloff

Reaction score
With regards to 2014+ trucks;

You can run up to a 37x12.5R17 tire on factory PW wheels with minimal rubbing at full lock, and a little trimming of the plastic fender liner at the rear of the front wheel wells. A tire with more aggressive side lugs will rub more. The rubbing is harmless on the swaybar and radius arm and only occurs at full lock; the rubbing on the plastic fender liner I think should be addressed as part of the install and is easy cutting with a box cutter. 35's are a direct fit essentially on PW wheels and might just barely rub at full lock on the radius arm/swaybar but don't require trimming. 35's can fit in the spare location by airing them down to about 15-20psi and having a helper crank it up while you guide it into place.

Engineered aftermarket coils offer not only lift (which then provides you with more compression stroke available to eat up hits) but also offers generally a softer ride & more articulation. The longer coils also work with longer shocks; a shock paired with those coils, with valving to match your application, makes a huge difference. It is difficult to describe what performance shocks will do to a truck if you haven't felt them before, but 2.5+ diameter shocks make an enormous difference in chassis control, ride comfort and bottom-out resistance. 2.0 and smaller IFP shocks offer all these things over stock shocks, but not nearly to the degree the larger shocks can. IFP shocks are always able to be superior to emulsion shocks (factory and the cheaper Bilsteins) except for the increased cost.

You don't *have* to replace your Power Wagon wheels to run 37x12.5's, but you really should if you want to run 13.5-width or the extra wide Toyo "13.5"s.

The wheel widths they discuss of +18 to +27mm are ideal for any tire up to 37's on the HD's. 40's start a different ball game. For lift height, other than compression height it's more about look and ground clearance so if you want the truck on the lower side that's just fine. The aftermarket coils from the big two companies still do make a big difference.

You cannot pair certain shocks with stock coils because the extended length of the aftermarket shocks can be so long that you can unseat the factory coil springs; the damping curve is also going to be way off.

In the current state of manufacturing I am not holding my breathe for shocks that are theoretically coming to market soon. The wait time for anything that isn't in stock is generally exceptionally long right now.

JamesEvan

Reaction score
It will depend on how you use your truck. Both will be better than stock. Back Country has a better on road ride but the PinTop with the 2.5" Kings will be better for soaking up larger hits.
More on road than off, building this into an overlanding vehicle. Back Country may be the kit to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread