Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carli R2 Coils on Rear of PW

1964PW

Reaction score
Just wanted to add my perspective to this thread as I recently changed from Thuren soft-rate stock power wagon height coils to R2s.

The initial parts list is as follows:

Thuren front .5" coils.
Thuren soft-rate stock power wagon height coils.
Fox 2.0 reservoir front and IFP rear from Thuren.
Thuren front and rear track bars and rear sway-bar links.
315 BFG ATs.

My 22 PW has ram boxes and a Decked drawer system so ~450lbs in the rear over an empty non-ram box truck. With this setup the rear sat exactly .5" higher that the front otherwise unloaded.

I was extremely happy with this setup when driving the truck by myself with no load and this setup is probably perfect if not for the ram boxes and drawer system. The problem was that as soon as I added additional passengers or any cargo to the bed, I began to run into sway issues, specifically on the rebound from large highway bumps at highway speeds (70+). It felt like a circular swaying motion, much like a kayak taking side wake. It felt as if the soft coils were allowing the rear to cycle more aggressively than the rear 2.0" Fox shocks could dampen. The issue was especially prevalent anytime I would add heavy coolers or cargo on top of the Decked system as it raised the center of gravity.

Finally, I decided to make the leap to R2s in the rear as I had an 8hr trip planned where I would have 1,000+ pounds of stuff in the bed of the truck. The R2s went in without issue and raised the rear of the truck 2.5" inches vs the soft rate Thurens. Undoubtably that is partially due to sag with the soft rates vs the Carlis.

I am happy to report that the R2s completely eliminated the sway issues at highway speeds under load and if anything, it feels as if the rear shock rate is now in far better alignment with spring rate. The spring is a bit stiffer with no load on expansion joints and such but not noticeably stiffer over normal highway bumps. Overall, I'd say it is a 10% degrade in small bump compliance but a 200% increase in high-speed driving stability, particularly under load. Hope this helps anyone on the fence with making the decision to get R2s.

I will be changing to 1.5" Thuren front coils to offset the rake when installing my new 37s so let if anyone in VA/MD/PA is looking for a great deal on .5 Thuren and soft rate rear coils, let me know!
Any pictures of the rake?

Berswi85

Reaction score
I purchased a set of R2 carli rear coils and Fox 2.5 DSC shocks. My rears arrive tomorrow, the fronts are 60 days out. Bought them with Shock Surplus. Going to follow some of your settings for your shocks because I have a similar setup on my Power Wagon too. Look forward to the install on my rear. For the fronts I'll have to wait 2 months give or take.
What partnumber where the shocks?
Are these the 0-2.5" or 3-4.5"
Looking at the same setup

Users who are viewing this thread