Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carli R2 Coils on Rear of PW

aaaslayer

Reaction score
I would love to say that the Fox 2.5 with DSC completely smoothed out the concrete expansion joint issue that all hd trucks have to deal with, but it didn't.
It is much better, the truck doesn't hop or bounce, and certainly doesn't feel like it's out of control. It's damped down to the point of being slightly annoying, but tolerable. My wife calls the roads "jiggle fat roads"
Where did you purchase your set and what custom tune did you go with? I have a somewhat similar setup to yours. Rear pop top camper, Rigd tire carrier with 37", DIY storage benches in the bed. About 550-600 lbs I added of constant load. Looking to go R2 rear coils and not sure what shocks to run. Currently running Thuren overland front and rears.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Where did you purchase your set and what custom tune did you go with? I have a somewhat similar setup to yours. Rear pop top camper, Rigd tire carrier with 37", DIY storage benches in the bed. About 550-600 lbs I added of constant load. Looking to go R2 rear coils and not sure what shocks to run. Currently running Thuren overland front and rears.
I purchased them from NorthRidge 4x4. It took about 6 months to get them. These are not custom tuned shocks, these are the default Fox tune. A while back Fox realized what the bulk of its customers actually want is comfort. Not everyone needs to blast through the whoops at highway speeds. So they started tuning all of their Performance Elite series shocks with this in mind. The DSC's let you adjust for payload and preference. In the short time I've had them, I've learned that just a few clicks on the low speed adjuster can significantly alter the way the truck feels.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Update: Somewhat related I got the VIN for @jsalbre Rebel he is getting. (thanks BTW!). Gonna call the local dealer tomorrow and find out if there are differences between the PW shocks and front/rear track bars. Potentially interested in Hemi Rebel springs. Might be a good option for those looking to sacrifice some articulation and altitude for some added carrying capability in their PW.

BTW @jsalbre have you gotten payload specs for your truck yet? Also what kind of options are on it? Seeing if I can make a close to apples/apples comparison.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Update: Somewhat related I got the VIN for @jsalbre Rebel he is getting. (thanks BTW!). Gonna call the local dealer tomorrow and find out if there are differences between the PW shocks and front/rear track bars. Potentially interested in Hemi Rebel springs. Might be a good option for those looking to sacrifice some articulation and altitude for some added carrying capability in their PW.

BTW @jsalbre have you gotten payload specs for your truck yet? Also what kind of options are on it? Seeing if I can make a close to apples/apples comparison.

Max payload is coming in at 2872. Here's the window sticker if you want to see the options.

I can't say for certain yet, but initial impressions are the suspension feels way less harsh than my 2020 Limited did. I'd swear the head toss on single side bumps is similar to how the 2020 felt when I changed the front sway bar to the Thuren. I need to pull my calipers out and check the diameter. I really don't know if it's just advertising, but all of Ram's literature says the Rebel has a "unique suspension", so maybe it has different spring rates?

jetrinka

Reaction score
Well comparing your options to mine it may be somewhat apples to apples. My stock payload is over 1000 lbs less than yours. I have RamBoxes but don't have options like the dual alternators, sunroof, and power running boards so I'd imaging our curb weight is somewhat similar. Very interesting.

I'm gonna call my local dealer tomorrow and hash out some part numbers.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Well comparing your options to mine it may be somewhat apples to apples. My stock payload is over 1000 lbs less than yours. I have RamBoxes but don't have options like the dual alternators, sunroof, and power running boards so I'd imaging our curb weight is somewhat similar. Very interesting.

I'm gonna call my local dealer tomorrow and hash out some part numbers.
My GVWR is 10k, so my curb weight should be 7128.

jetrinka

Reaction score
That’s roughly what I estimate my curb weight to be also. I’d have to check my payload sticker again to be sure

jetrinka

Reaction score
My GVWR is 8565 and payload is 1164 bringing my curb weight to a fatty level of 7401 lbs.

I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer about the shock differences. I'll write this out nicely with part numbers in another post but so far the front track bar is different but the rear track bar is the same between our trucks.

jsalbre

Reaction score
My GVWR is 8565 and payload is 1164 bringing my curb weight to a fatty level of 7401 lbs.

I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer about the shock differences. I'll write this out nicely with part numbers in another post but so far the front track bar is different but the rear track bar is the same between our trucks.
Sounds like we're pretty close in weight. I assume the extra locker, sway bar disco, and Ram Boxes account for the difference. The shocks should be the same Bilstien 4100s on both our trucks as far as I know.

I'm planning to head outside in a few and I'll see if I can notice any obvious differences between my suspension and the stuff from my 2020.

jetrinka

Reaction score
So I've heard back and it sounds like it would work fine with replacements of the springs and front track bar. Part numbers are as follows.

My truck - last 8 of the VIN = MG637756
-Front Track Bar - 68193870-AD
-Rear Track Bar - 68414804-AB
-Front Springs - 68519169-AA
-Rear Springs - 68091203-AB

@jsalbre truck - last 8 of the VIN = PG524353
-Front Track Bar - 68223802-AB
-Rear Track Bar - 68414804-AB
-Front Springs - 68505944-AB
-Rear Springs - 68349171-AB

When she ran the shock numbers my front and rears came up but she could not get any real numbers for the Rebel shocks for some reason. She said " When I looked up the VIN: PG524353 there were no part numbers for front or rear shocks applied. I can’t figure out why that is, but for some reason the VIN filters them out."

So the shocks are a bit fuzzy.

Makes me wonder how much higher in the back the PW actually is compared to the other trucks since the rear track rod is the same.

jsalbre

Reaction score
If you're stock height and no extra heavy stuff on the truck, could you grab a measurement from ground to the bottom of the fender flare in the center, front and back? My Rebel looked noticeably taller than the brand new Laramie and Limited it was parked next to earlier today.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I’ll try and remember to do that tomorrow. I need to empty/organize my Ramboxes anyway lol

aaaslayer

Reaction score
I purchased them from NorthRidge 4x4. It took about 6 months to get them. These are not custom tuned shocks, these are the default Fox tune. A while back Fox realized what the bulk of its customers actually want is comfort. Not everyone needs to blast through the whoops at highway speeds. So they started tuning all of their Performance Elite series shocks with this in mind. The DSC's let you adjust for payload and preference. In the short time I've had them, I've learned that just a few clicks on the low speed adjuster can significantly alter the way the truck feels.
I purchased a set of R2 carli rear coils and Fox 2.5 DSC shocks. My rears arrive tomorrow, the fronts are 60 days out. Bought them with Shock Surplus. Going to follow some of your settings for your shocks because I have a similar setup on my Power Wagon too. Look forward to the install on my rear. For the fronts I'll have to wait 2 months give or take.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
I purchased a set of R2 carli rear coils and Fox 2.5 DSC shocks. My rears arrive tomorrow, the fronts are 60 days out. Bought them with Shock Surplus. Going to follow some of your settings for your shocks because I have a similar setup on my Power Wagon too. Look forward to the install on my rear. For the fronts I'll have to wait 2 months give or take.

Are you going to install the R2 rears w/ Fox's right away or wait until you get Fox's on all 4 corners. I've been thinking about doing this also ... maybe getting Thuren springs up front; so anxiously awaiting to hear how it changes the ride.

aaaslayer

Reaction score
Are you going to install the R2 rears w/ Fox's right away or wait until you get Fox's on all 4 corners. I've been thinking about doing this also ... maybe getting Thuren springs up front; so anxiously awaiting to hear how it changes the ride.
I have the R2 rears in my garage now. The Hellwig sway bar arrives next week. Today I'm supposed to get the Fox 2.5 DSC rears. I'm going to wait until the sway bar arrives, then find time to install it all on a weekend. I don't want to wait until the front Fox 2.5s arrive, that's 2 months out and I need to address the rear sag and wobble asap. It is so bad I had traction control kick in last week on the freeway when I hit a pothole. Scared the hell out of me felt like it slammed the brakes on its own.

For the front I'm going to stick with my Thuren 1" coils and just replace the overland shocks for the Fox 2.5 DSC.

aaaslayer

Reaction score
Not to thread jack, but wanted to let everyone who has been reading this thread, or will read it in the future, that I am now running Carli R2 rear coils on my 2021 PW, and running Fox 2.5 DSC shocks in the rear as well. No issues, big difference from my last setup of Thuren soft rate stock height power wagon coils with overland shocks. That last setup was amazing and soft, but once I added the pop top camper, that setup was not made to hold that much weight so it had to go.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Not to thread jack, but wanted to let everyone who has been reading this thread, or will read it in the future, that I am now running Carli R2 rear coils on my 2021 PW, and running Fox 2.5 DSC shocks in the rear as well. No issues, big difference from my last setup of Thuren soft rate stock height power wagon coils with overland shocks. That last setup was amazing and soft, but once I added the pop top camper, that setup was not made to hold that much weight so it had to go.
I'm currently planning to do the same this spring. Overall, I'd expect them to still ride better than OEM considering it's a progressive coil, but I'm curious to hear your initial impressions?

Oddly enough I'm also looking into the helwig swaybar you have, figure I'll add a quick disconnect for when I'm wanting the additional flex.

aaaslayer

Reaction score
I'm currently planning to do the same this spring. Overall, I'd expect them to still ride better than OEM considering it's a progressive coil, but I'm curious to hear your initial impressions?

Oddly enough I'm also looking into the helwig swaybar you have, figure I'll add a quick disconnect for when I'm wanting the additional flex.
Initial impressions on the coils? They're fantastic. They got rid of my sag and even gave me a bit of rake. That's with about 650 lbs in the back. I have an OVLRND campers pop top, empty just 2 wood benches I built inside, no gear I only carry gear when I hit the trails. A full 37" spare and Rigd carrier. No more sag, not overly stiff, they ride great. Definitely a bit firmer than Thuren, but that's exactly what I was looking for and expecting. Overall I'm very happy. The Thuren was great, but since I have all that stuff in the back now, the Thuren is no longer able to handle the weight as it wasn't built for that.

The sway bar I HIGHLY recommend only if you have a camper or rack with a tent up high. Otherwise, I see no need for it. I was getting terrible sway back there with the camper and super soft coils. I had installed the sway bar first before the coils, and already there was a huge difference in sway reduction. I got the big wig, the biggest size they offer. It comes with adjustable end links that I trashed. They are absolute junk. I already had Thuren HD rear end links which are longer and beefier than the Hellwig anyway. But if I didn't have the Thurens, I would have still trashed the Hellwig ones until I ordered the Thurens. If you do get the hellwig do yourself a favor and get Thuren's end links for the rear. The adjustable one from Hellwig is just a long piece of threaded rod female and male, and some basic bushings. Build quality is crap and so are the boots. They're also thin diameter and I wouldn't rely on them if you off road your vehicle.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Initial impressions on the coils? They're fantastic. They got rid of my sag and even gave me a bit of rake. That's with about 650 lbs in the back. I have an OVLRND campers pop top, empty just 2 wood benches I built inside, no gear I only carry gear when I hit the trails. A full 37" spare and Rigd carrier. No more sag, not overly stiff, they ride great. Definitely a bit firmer than Thuren, but that's exactly what I was looking for and expecting. Overall I'm very happy. The Thuren was great, but since I have all that stuff in the back now, the Thuren is no longer able to handle the weight as it wasn't built for that.

The sway bar I HIGHLY recommend only if you have a camper or rack with a tent up high. Otherwise, I see no need for it. I was getting terrible sway back there with the camper and super soft coils. I had installed the sway bar first before the coils, and already there was a huge difference in sway reduction. I got the big wig, the biggest size they offer. It comes with adjustable end links that I trashed. They are absolute junk. I already had Thuren HD rear end links which are longer and beefier than the Hellwig anyway. But if I didn't have the Thurens, I would have still trashed the Hellwig ones until I ordered the Thurens. If you do get the hellwig do yourself a favor and get Thuren's end links for the rear. The adjustable one from Hellwig is just a long piece of threaded rod female and male, and some basic bushings. Build quality is crap and so are the boots. They're also thin diameter and I wouldn't rely on them if you off road your vehicle.
Thanks for the info dude! About what I expected and am happy to hear.

My real interest with the rear sway bar is stability for towing more than anything else, as I've heard a lot of guys will upgrade that on the 2500s to help with more stable towing.

I've got thurens end links in the rear now and plan to keep them no matter what.

Go4Mac

Reaction score
I love this thread! I am looking at buying a 2019-20 powerwagon. I test drive one the other day and really liked it, but it is very soft and yet i could feel the small bump compliance was harsh. I would like to add a camper top with a tent with ram boxes (yes, i understand how there are no aftermarket systems for this, i am scheming about this as well) and a drawer system. I’m sure it will be 500-600 pounds in the bed. I love Carli, but i do not need/want to run 37’s. (Probably run 35’s) Picking up from this thread, i have pieced together the following items from cjc-

THUREN FOX 2.0 REMOTE RESERVOIR LEVELING KIT POWER WAGON (2014-2022)​

(1/2” probably)

THUREN FOX 2.0 IFP SHOCKS POWER WAGON (2014-2022)​

TF985-24-202

CARLI SUSPENSION 2014+ DODGE RAM 2500 LIFT MULTI-RATE REAR COIL SPRINGS​

CS-DMRC-14-R2

I am looking for a smoother ride with more payload. I am not looking to add more hight to the truck if i can help it. Does this sound about right? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread